US Revolution - Was it a good thing?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
Let's think about the beginning of the United States.....

We broke from England due to religious persecution. These were primarily Puritans, who, believed in Predestination and ironically, came to escape the Catholic church (the largest denomination).

Of course, this was in the 1760's before wars started.... and then, we drove out the folks that lived here all along....

Should we even be here?

you arent past wondering if we should even be here yet the NFL protesting during our Anthem is a huge deal huh

I'm always willing to learn.... and reconsider anything because I have an open mind
There are two ways of looking at everything

That being said, I appreciate and value what this country has afforded me personally, and am grateful.

Everyone should be looking at all angles of situations and people, realizing none of us are perfect.

also, my issue with the NFL, well, this was just a straw that broke the camels back.

My main issue with the NFL (and other pro sports) is that they are WAY over paid and over glorified. It's a distraction from much bigger more important things we should be addressing, spending or money and time on etc. But that's off topic some...

also, my issue with the NFL, well, this was just a straw that broke the camels back.

My main issue with the NFL (and other pro sports) is that they are WAY over paid and over glorified. It's a distraction from much bigger more important things we should be addressing, spending or money and time on etc. But that's off topic some...
How can you blame a distraction for being a distraction and not the distracted?

And theyre not overpaid by definition - they are paid what the market dictates. Not by tax dollars, but by consumers. They make exactly what they should, if you believe in free markets.

Last edited:

We broke from England due to religious persecution. These were primarily Puritans, who, believed in Predestination and ironically, came to escape the Catholic church (the largest denomination).

Ummm, no. Puritans came here in the 17th Century for that purpose, but had nearly vanished by the mid-18th Century, quite a bit before the talk of revolution arose. We broke because we were treated as a lowly taxable colony by George III, and were fed up with it.

Should we even be here?

I should be. Dunno 'bout you.

Of course, this was in the 1760's before wars started.... and then, we drove out the folks that lived here all along....

Should we even be here?
We broke from England due to religious persecution.

If you truly believe escaping religious persecution is the primary reason for America's split with England, you need to take a history class, ideally American economic history or history of the American Revolution. There are number of free online courses offered by various elite colleges and universities.

Barring that, read these documents:

Puritans fled the state-controlled Church of England, mostly in the 1620s and 30s. And by 1775, they had had some connection to a number of wars, such as King Philips' War, which curtailed some of their evangelical objectives, and the Seven Years' War, which presented them with new missionary opportunities in Canada and the Mississippi River valley (of course, now they had to compete with Catholics for converts).

Secession from the commonwealth was a good thing in preserving this Christian framework for the new society. And, of course, it preserved a number of other traditions as well, such as a negligible tribute to the central authority; Americans paid a fraction of the taxes to the Crown that Britons paid.

Should we even be here?
I hate to say this but there were wars going on in America long before America was founded. The Indian tribes were warring against each other, killing the men and making the women and children slaves. The British were warring against the French, the French were warring against the Spanish, the Spanish were warring against the British. It to the Christians of the United States of America, to bring peace to the lands, to have everyone treated equally under God, but the liberals have so rewritten History that because of the White Man all the death and destruction was HIS fault and no one else's. This country was based on an idea, and though it wasn't perfect, it did allow anyone, to succeed.
America: Imagine the World Without Her (2014) - IMDb

Should we even be here?

Jamestown was established long before Plymouth.
Although the Puritans were part of the reformation movement against the Church of England ... They came from congregations in the Netherlands.
The Church of England was Episcopal and not Catholic ... And it was in the 1600's, not the 1700's.

Puritans fled the state-controlled Church of England, mostly in the 1620s and 30s. And by 1775, they had had some connection to a number of wars, such as King Philips' War, which curtailed some of their evangelical objectives, and the Seven Years' War, which presented them with new missionary opportunities in Canada and the Mississippi River valley (of course, now they had to compete with Catholics for converts).

Secession from the commonwealth was a good thing in preserving this Christian framework for the new society. And, of course, it preserved a number of other traditions as well, such as a negligible tribute to the central authority; Americans paid a fraction of the taxes to the Crown that Britons paid.
Puritans fled the state-controlled Church of England, mostly in the 1620s and 30s.
Puritans fled the state-controlled Church of England, mostly in the 1620s and 30s.

OT:
Religious zealotry was substantively no different then than it is now. I'd say among the worst things that's happened to North America was the arrival and settlement of those nut jobs we call the Puritans. You surely know the saw: How many witches were hanged in Salem? None.

OT:
Religious zealotry was substantively no different then than it is now. I'd say among the worst things that's happened to North America was the arrival and settlement of those nut jobs we call the Puritans. You surely know the saw: How many witches were hanged in Salem? None.
What you'd say doesn't matter. Puritans formed a close-knit community of saints that redefined society's relationship to government and itself.

And fear, paranoia, and suspicion were the motivations for hanging those people (and crushing one with stones); not faith. No, not even Christians are immune to mass hysteria.

OT:
What you'd say doesn't matter. Puritans formed a close-knit community of saints that redefined society's relationship to government and itself.

And fear, paranoia, and suspicion were the motivations for hanging those people (and crushing one with stones); not faith. No, not even Christians are immune to mass hysteria.
And fear, paranoia, and suspicion were the motivations for hanging those people (and crushing one with stones); not faith.

Well, do tell...What community of atheists or agnostics saw fit to kill people for behavior they deemed heretical to a religious belief system. Quite literally, without Christianity there would never have been the Salem witch trials and killings.

... Should we even be here?

If you are interested in reading and want a much different take on what you were probably taught about early America (in regards to the Indians and whatnot) ... You might want to read A Company of Heroes ~ The American Frontier 1775-1783 , by Dale Van Every.

America was big enough and far enough away from England that independence was inevitable. This was good because it gave inspiration to other downtrodden people to take-up arms against their ineffective governments and the control of the wealthy men of privilege..

Ummm, no. Puritans came here in the 17th Century for that purpose, but had nearly vanished by the mid-18th Century, quite a bit before the talk of revolution arose. We broke because we were treated as a lowly taxable colony by George III, and were fed up with it.

Should we even be here?

I'm certainly very happy to be reaping the benefits, however, not happy about pushing out American Indians in the process....

Should we even be here?

I'm certainly very happy to be reaping the benefits, however, not happy about pushing out American Indians in the process....
Epidemiological disadvantages were their real killer's. Europeans had already suffered epidemics and acquired immunities. As the world grew smaller, Amerindians were bound to suffer the same sooner or later.

And theyre not overpaid by definition - they are paid what the market dictates. Not by tax dollars, but by consumers. They make exactly what they should, if you believe in free markets.
I agree to some degree. As a society, we are not focusing and involving ourselves in what is most productive and important to growth and long term survival.

Major sports is a waste on time and money overall

Should we even be here?

That's two different question.

1. SHould we be here?

2. Should we have broken away from the UK?

imo, yes to both, the world would not be better if North America was colonized by other European Powers, nor if the US was more like Canada.

And if the US had remained in the Empire, just think how much more power they would have had to try to hold on to, or expand that empire.

We would certainly have been deeply involved in the Napoleonic Wars.

Sorry hoss, but professional athletes are UNDERPAID, by definition.

Why professional athletes are actually underpaid

Forum List

Back