US Removes North Korea from Terror Blacklist

Epsilon Delta

Jedi Master
Jul 16, 2008
Central America
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/world/asia/12terror.html

New York Times said:
WASHINGTON — The Bush administration announced on Saturday that it was removing North Korea from a list of state sponsors of terrorism and said the country had agreed to adhere to concessions on its nuclear program, in a bid to salvage a fragile nuclear deal that seemed on the verge of collapse.

Sean McCormack, the State Department spokesman, said that North Korea had agreed to resume disabling its plutonium plant at Yongbyon, replace the seals on its nuclear equipment and allow international inspectors to return.

But almost immediately, the move brought expressions of concern from Republican lawmakers, including the presidential nominee, Senator John McCain.

In the most significant part of the agreement, North Korea agreed to a verification regime that would allow United States inspectors access to all of its declared nuclear facilities. But the deal puts off decisions on the thorniest verification issue: what happens if international experts suspect the North is hiding other nuclear weapons facilities.

The deal also salvages an agreement that the Bush administration hoped to trumpet as one of major foreign policy achievements.

The United States wanted the North to agree to inspections at sites that raise suspicions, but North Korea balked. The new agreement calls for United States inspectors to be granted access “based on mutual consent” with North Korea

The Administration seems to start getting pretty desperate to leave SOMETHING to it's name.

Do you think North Korea is still a threat?

To do what? As long as Kim Jung Il is President and Dictator for life and has possesses the capablilty to enrich uranium to weapons grade NK will be a threat to SK and/or Japan at a minimum.

However, if he met the conditions for being removed from the Terror list, so be it. They can always be out back on it if they don't comply.

My personal opinion is they were never a threat. They just wanted more handouts and used the nukes as leverage.

To do what? As long as Kim Jung Il is President and Dictator for life and has possesses the capablilty to enrich uranium to weapons grade NK will be a threat to SK and/or Japan at a minimum.

However, if he met the conditions for being removed from the Terror list, so be it. They can always be out back on it if they don't comply.

My personal opinion is they were never a threat. They just wanted more handouts and used the nukes as leverage.
I think you are probably right!
My ex boyfriend was on the DMZ for over a year, and from the sounds of it all they really did was PT and get drunk. He did get shot at once but his CO told him if the sniper wanted to him he would of!

I think you are probably right!
My ex boyfriend was on the DMZ for over a year, and from the sounds of it all they really did was PT and get drunk. He did get shot at once but his CO told him if the sniper wanted to him he would of!

I was in the area a time or two, and yes, they still shoot, but mostly just to annoy.

All I did was freeze my ass off when I was there.

I was in the area a time or two, and yes, they still shoot, but mostly just to annoy.

All I did was freeze my ass off when I was there.
He did say that also! two of my uncles were there during the orginal conflict, my uncle Jack made it out just before they bombed the air strip. All three have stories about getting drunk and running through base in their underwear, did you do that? j/k
And I never saw the follow up but did Kim really have a stroke?
Plus I don't think they probably have the money to really be a threat either but I could be wrong.

I don't disagree with you. But what happened to all that "axis of evil" stuff? It suddenly went away just before election day?
nope, what happened was one of the 3 legs was taken out
this one(NK) has been all but eliminated
just leaves Iran as a problem and the new places the terrorists are trying to set up shop in

nope, what happened was one of the 3 legs was taken out
this one(NK) has been all but eliminated
just leaves Iran as a problem and the new places the terrorists are trying to set up shop in

so let me get this straight... bush creates this pretend "axis of evil", pisses off N.Korea enough to jerk him around for the last 8 years; pisses off Iran enough where they STOP helping our little "war against terror" (which help Ahmadinejad saw as being in Iran's self-interest); and does the war of choice against Saddam? now everything will go away like magic?

pretty silly. particularly when everyone knows we have no muscle anymore because we have no $$$$$$$$$ for any more of Bush's pretend wars.

Now talk about Afghanistan, maybe we have something. But even with that, if we have no money, we look like morons.

The economy, right now, is a bigger security issue than anything else, I think.

so let me get this straight... bush creates this pretend "axis of evil", pisses off N.Korea enough to jerk him around for the last 8 years; pisses off Iran enough where they STOP helping our little "war against terror" (which help Ahmadinejad saw as being in Iran's self-interest); and does the war of choice against Saddam? now everything will go away like magic?

pretty silly. particularly when everyone knows we have no muscle anymore because we have no $$$$$$$$$ for any more of Bush's pretend wars.

Now talk about Afghanistan, maybe we have something. But even with that, if we have no money, we look like morons.

Then why the big fuss over N Korea ?

well, looks like Bush got NK to stop doing the nuke testing by agreeing to take them off the fake list

that kinda makes Bush the smart one, dontcha know
LOL

The economy has always been the biggest security issue. 50 guys in a cave in Pakistan with no army, no navy, and no air force are no real threat to a country of 300 million people.

Bin Laden said his goal was to bankrupt America. Bush has helped him accomplish his goal.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Hey what was the movie the south park guys put out ? I just remember they said "dirka Dirka".

Forum List

Back