US Presidents in your lifetime - rank them from best to worst

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats
Aug 23, 2011
Bham, AL
For me, this is about 2 things:

1 - how I feel about their policies & positions
2 - my assessment of how hard they worked to implement policies & positions that I think are best for this country

My ranking right now:

1. Donald John Trump
2. Ronald Wilson Reagan
3. Richard Milhous Nixon
4. George Herbert Walker Bush
5. George Walker Bush
6. William Jefferson Clinton
7. Gerald Rudolph Ford
8. James Earl Carter
9. Lyndon Baines Johnson
10. Barrack Hussein Obama

Trump in the top spot could change & I KNOW it is really too early, but so far, I am ecstatic

No, he has not gotten everything done that I hoping for yet (wall, ACA repeal, tax cuts). But he is for damned sure trying.

Yes, some of his positions are "softening". But he told us this would happen. He flat out said that everything was open to negotiation - no problem with that.

The Gorsuch nomination looks good, but still too early to tell

Reagan moves back to No 1 if Trump slips up. Plus, Iran Contra, Sandra Day O & amnesty - but hey, no one is perfect. I am sure I will have a few issues with Trump when it's all said & done

Nixon - yeah, I know, Watergate. DNGAF - he opened the door to trade with China & was overall a fandamntastic president

GHWB - a good man, probably under-appreciated as POTUS, but not really conservative enough for me. "Read my lips..." still pisses me off, as do his SCOTUS & lower court nominees. YES, we got a couple of good justices, but WTF with Souter & also, naming Sotomeyer to anything. Real head scratcher for me...

W Bush - fucked up a golden opportunity to right the nation's ship when he stepped in and had the Congress. His decision to not fight gross over-spending, especially in his last 2 years, set us back dramatically & set the stage for an 8 year disaster. He was also frequently maligned, unfairly in my opinion, for being "stupid". I like much of what he did (and tried to do).

Clinton, was a classic politician - his willingness to change & move to the center helped to shape his legacy & create a good reputation & high favorables that still hold to this day. Plus, I have to admit that he did a decent job managing the economy.

Good Ole Gerry - great congressman & a football star at Meeecheeegan, but underwhelming. You'll have to "pardon me" for putting him so low if you are a big fan...

Jimmah - what a train wreck. Weak, ineffectual & the 1st real "lefty loon" to make it to office. He has been a worse ex-president than he was while in office, which is no small feat...

LBJ - was really to young to know or care, but from what I have read & studied, he was a hoot. I mean, any man that whips his "Johnson" out on a plane to show everybody how big he is can't be last on my list!

BUT, his expansion of the "Great Society" & his poor decisions in regards to Vietnam are things that we are still feeling negative effects from to this day...

Hussein - there really aren't even words, plus, we are already at TL/DR

* note - I have posted this before & revised my list a little

I cannot yet rank Trump. Ask me again in two years.

From top to rock bottom -

Ronnie
Harry
Jack
Dwight
George 41
Bill
Dick
George 43
Jerry
Lyndon
Jimmy
Barry

Ike
Reagan
Kennedy
GHW
Ford
Nixon
Carter
Clinton
Obama
GW

Trump to be determined

From worst to best...

1. Donald J. Trump
2. Jimmah Abduhl Carter
3. Richard Nixon
4. George W. Bush
5. George H.W. Bush
6. Gerald Ford
7. Bubba Clinton
8. Harry Truman
9. Barack Obama
10. Jack Kennedy
12. Lyndon Baines Johnson
13. Dwight D. Eisenhower

I was only 9 when Kennedy was assassinated and so I'll start my list from LBJ. Far too early to rate Trump but I'll take a guess based on his performance so far.

1. Ronald Reagan
2. G.H.W. Bush
3. Bill Clinton
4. Jimmy Carter
5. Richard Nixon
6. Gerald Ford
7. Donald Trump
8. Barack Obama
9. L.B.J.
10. G.W. Bush

I've Carter rated high because of the Camp David Accords and for installing Paul Volcker as Chairman of the Federal Reserve who finally got inflation under control. I also think he, G.H.W. Bush and Clinton were the most concerned about fiscal responsibility which rates high on my list. I would have rated Nixon higher but for the initial Arab Oil Embargo, wage and price controls, national 55mph speed limit. Jerry Ford had sort of a vanilla presidency, inflation was still running rampant and his WIN buttons (whip inflation now buttons) didn't make a dent. LBJ turning the Vietnam conflict over to the military just a few months after winning the '64 election as the "peace candidate" is largely responsible for his low rating, much like G.W. Bush said we needed to be careful about nation-building and then got us into Iraq. I hold both of those Texans responsible for getting a lot of Americans killed.

From worst to best...

1. Donald J. Trump
2. Jimmah Abduhl Carter
3. Richard Nixon
4. George W. Bush
5. George H.W. Bush
6. Gerald Ford
7. Bubba Clinton
8. Harry Truman
9. Barack Obama
10. Jack Kennedy
12. Lyndon Baines Johnson
13. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ronnie??? Where is he? I'm gonna guess between Slick & Gerry

and having Ike & LBJ at the top from the same person is super confusing...

1. Ike
2. Obama
3. Reagan
4. JFK
5. Clinton
6. LBJ
7. Bush 41
8. Nixon
9. Ford
10. Carter
11. Bush 43
12. Trump

Best to worst

Obama
Clinton
Carter
Ford
Bush Sr.
Reagan
Bush Jr.
Nixon
Trump

That's the about same ranking they had economically, and a reverse ranking of their criminality. Republican presidents always tank the economy and explode deficits, and their administrations are always festering with corruption.

Strangely, the Republican base loves them for that incompetence and criminality. I suppose it makes them feel better about themselves if their leaders are even sadder specimens of humanity than they are.

I have Trump so high because he is actually pushing to do things that republicans have been promising to do for decades - stuff that I truly believe they were just giving lip service to to get votes...

national 55mph speed limit

great point

another thing that pissed me off about Reagan was his decision to strong arm states into raising the drinking age to 21 by withholding federal highway funds

Roads in Louisiana were really bad for a long. long time because of that (they did finally cave, but roads still suffered)

Bush41 was the worst president of the 20th century. Bailed out of his bomber over the Pacific leaving 3 crewmen behind to perish. Suckered Saddam into Kuwait, sending bin-Laden into orbit, getting us 9/11 and into 2 wars we're still fighting. Looked at his watch during a debate with Clinturd, giving the public the perception he had better things to do than talk to us.....and gave the WH to Willy Jeff, the most prolific traitor this nation has ever known.

For me, this is about 2 things:

1 - how I feel about their policies & positions
2 - my assessment of how hard they worked to implement policies & positions that I think are best for this country

My ranking right now:

1. Donald John Trump
2. Ronald Wilson Reagan
3. Richard Milhous Nixon
4. George Herbert Walker Bush
5. George Walker Bush
6. William Jefferson Clinton
7. Gerald Rudolph Ford
8. James Earl Carter
9. Lyndon Baines Johnson
10. Barrack Hussein Obama

Trump in the top spot could change & I KNOW it is really too early, but so far, I am ecstatic

No, he has not gotten everything done that I hoping for yet (wall, ACA repeal, tax cuts). But he is for damned sure trying.

Yes, some of his positions are "softening". But he told us this would happen. He flat out said that everything was open to negotiation - no problem with that.

The Gorsuch nomination looks good, but still too early to tell

Reagan moves back to No 1 if Trump slips up. Plus, Iran Contra, Sandra Day O & amnesty - but hey, no one is perfect. I am sure I will have a few issues with Trump when it's all said & done

Nixon - yeah, I know, Watergate. DNGAF - he opened the door to trade with China & was overall a fandamntastic president

GHWB - a good man, probably under-appreciated as POTUS, but not really conservative enough for me. "Read my lips..." still pisses me off, as do his SCOTUS & lower court nominees. YES, we got a couple of good justices, but WTF with Souter & also, naming Sotomeyer to anything. Real head scratcher for me...

W Bush - fucked up a golden opportunity to right the nation's ship when he stepped in and had the Congress. His decision to not fight gross over-spending, especially in his last 2 years, set us back dramatically & set the stage for an 8 year disaster. He was also frequently maligned, unfairly in my opinion, for being "stupid". I like much of what he did (and tried to do).

Clinton, was a classic politician - his willingness to change & move to the center helped to shape his legacy & create a good reputation & high favorables that still hold to this day. Plus, I have to admit that he did a decent job managing the economy.

Good Ole Gerry - great congressman & a football star at Meeecheeegan, but underwhelming. You'll have to "pardon me" for putting him so low if you are a big fan...

Jimmah - what a train wreck. Weak, ineffectual & the 1st real "lefty loon" to make it to office. He has been a worse ex-president than he was while in office, which is no small feat...

LBJ - was really to young to know or care, but from what I have read & studied, he was a hoot. I mean, any man that whips his "Johnson" out on a plane to show everybody how big he is can't be last on my list!

BUT, his expansion of the "Great Society" & his poor decisions in regards to Vietnam are things that we are still feeling negative effects from to this day...

Hussein - there really aren't even words, plus, we are already at TL/DR

* note - I have posted this before & revised my list a little
Excellent post. The only difference I might add is changing 1 and 2. We really have to wait for Trump's accomplishments, but he definitely is trying hard against antagonists on both sides.

Ford was ill equipped for the presidency and LBJ was micromanaging the Vietnam war and I believe a reason for our failure there. By the same tokenm Carter was ill equipped for the job.

Clinton will be known as an above average president despite the impeachment and that was hard to do. I believe his success was determined to negotiate and the success of the relationship with Newt Gingrich.

my assessment of how hard they worked

My ranking right now:

1. Donald John Trump

That's funny as hell right there.

Trump hasn't worked hard at anything.

He's signed a few EOs, has no legislative accomplishment, and when facing resistance, just gives up.

Anyhoo, ...

1) Obama
2) Clinton
3) Bush 41
4) Carter
5) Ford
6) Nixon
7) Johnson
8) Reagan
9) Dubya
10) Trump

Excellent post. The only difference I might add is changing 1 and 2. We really have to wait for Trump's accomplishments, but he definitely is trying hard against antagonists on both sides.

I actually have to agree with this, hell, Trump should not even be considered yet

BUT, putting him there might get some folks (mostly our friends on the left) "fired up"

Shhh! Don't tell anyone I said that, let's keep it as our little secret!

eta - if I am really being honest, I could almost switch Slick & W; hard for me to do that though...

Last edited:
If his first 100 days are any indicator, Trump will be widely considered to be the worst modern President, even bumping Bush 43 from that spot

If his first 100 days are any indicator, Trump will be widely considered to be the worst modern President, even bumping Bush 43 from that spot

I know there is a lot of angst about Trump, but what I am seeing is money moving - more than it has in over a decade

people that make financial decisions seem to be breathing a sigh of relief

if he gets his tax policies implemented (which I believe he will) - watch out

Forum List

Back