US Postal Service to default on second $5B payment

deal with it, it's another case of union workers making and retiring on benefits much higher than the taxpayers who make less can afford and remember this too, 47% of AMericans pay ZERO federal income tax.

Deal with what?

It really seems to be that you don't know what you are talking about.

Public employees receive lifetime compensation that's generally less then their private sector counterparts. What attracts skilled labor to the public sector? Benefits. It's a necessary component in getting the right people in the right places.

But of course petty conservatives have no idea how that works.

what was that you were saying?
Federal pay ahead of private industry
Overall, federal workers earned an average salary of $67,691 in 2008 for occupations that exist both in government and the private sector, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics data. The average pay for the same mix of jobs in the private sector was $60,046 in 2008, the most recent data available.

CHART: Federal salaries compared to private-sector

These salary figures do not include the value of health, pension and other benefits, which averaged $40,785 per federal employee in 2008 vs. $9,882 per private worker, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis.
Federal pay ahead of private industry - USATODAY.com
yea and there were a few charts out saying Letter Carriers make 90,000 a year base pay.....right ....where is that PO?....

The post office has become the primary delivery option of junk mail. I even get my bills in e-mail now. I cannot remember the last time I got a letter or a card in the mail. Packages go by UPS or Fed Ex. Yet the postal workers union still gets their benefits. Get rid of the union, reduce the postal rates and perhaps the post office might have a chance. As it is now, the purpose it serves is more like an appendix.

maybe to your house.....but if you seen how much first class goes business to business you may not think that....

For one thing tthe post office has thousands of union members. This is enough for the republicans to want to destroy it. They don't care about working people, especially union workers. What's sad is to see average americans cheerleading them, like republicans are the friends of ordinary workers. Notice the repubs answering your thread didn't pay any attention to the outrageous pension payoff bush administration saddled the post office with?

why did the republicans set the post office up for failure?

also something like around 30% of the workforce are Veterans...so that would be used politically against them im sure....

For one thing tthe post office has thousands of union members. This is enough for the republicans to want to destroy it. They don't care about working people, especially union workers. What's sad is to see average americans cheerleading them, like republicans are the friends of ordinary workers. Notice the repubs answering your thread didn't pay any attention to the outrageous pension payoff bush administration saddled the post office with?

why did the republicans set the post office up for failure?

oh really, you say? Well according to the contract from 1978 up until the new contract in 2006 the following applied-

NO LAYOFFS OR REDUCTION IN FORCE
(1) Each employee who is employed in the regular work force
as of the date of the Award of Arbitrator James J. Healy,
September 15, 1978, shall be protected henceforth against any
involuntary layoff or force reduction.
It is the intent of this provision to provide security to each
such employee during his or her work lifetime.
Members of the regular work force, as defined in Article 7 of
the Agreement, include full-time regulars, part-time employees
assigned to regular schedules and part-time employees
assigned to flexible schedules.
(2) Employees who become members of the regular work
force after the date of this Award, September 15, 1978, shall
be provided the same protection afforded under (1) above on
completion of six years of continuous service and having
worked in at least 20 pay periods during each of the six years.
and we wonder why unions (I am not saying the members themselves) destroy companies.

oh, and they received a one time cash payment upon ratification of the 2006 agreement -
Section 2. One-Time Cash Payment
A. Full-Time Employees
All eligible non-probationary full-time employees covered
by this Agreement shall receive a one-time cash payment,
not to be included in basic pay, as follows:
A one-time cash payment based on the change in CPI-W
from July 2006 to May 2007 will be paid as soon as
Article 9.2.A

practicable following ratification of the new Agreement.
The one-time cash payment will be based on the COLA
formula as detailed in Section 3.C, below.
B. Hourly Rate Employees
All eligible non-probationary hourly rate employees, who
have been paid for less than 2000 hours during the twentysix
pay periods ending with pay period 20, i.e.,
September 15 - 28, 2007, shall receive such cash payment
based on their number of paid hours during that period in
accordance with the following schedule:
Number of Paid Hours Percent of Cash Payment
1 and Under 500 25
500 and Under 1000 50
1000 and Under 1500 75
1500 and Over 100
The percentage determined as a result of the above
computation will be applied to the one-time cash payment to
determine the non-probationary hourly rate employee’s share
of the one-time cash payment. This payment does not become
part of the employee’s basic pay.

USPS needs to be downsized and privatized. It no longer has much of a practical function.

Are you joking? Legitimate(non spam) businesses use it all the time. The alternatives out there right now are way too fucking expensive. Private businesses being able to have the perks that the USPS has, isn't going to lower prices.

Not to mention how ridiculously spotty the coverage would be, and differing from business to business.

As somebody who works with USPS, UPS and FedEx on a daily basis, USPS is an incredibly valuable tool for business. If you hang around a post office and watch the volume of individuals that come and go, it's incredible. People still use it... a lot. It serves a purpose, and it shouldn't have to realize a profit to be considered valuable to society.

Shit, even in my personal life I prefer USPS over FedEx or UPS. I order from amazon on a regular basis, and I always receive my packages ridiculously early, well before the estimated "Super Saver Shipping" time frame that the site says.

Last edited:
oh, and they received a one time cash payment upon ratification of the 2006 agreement -
A. Full-Time Employees
Article 9.2.A

B. Hourly Rate Employees
1 and Under 500 25
500 and Under 1000 50
1000 and Under 1500 75
1500 and Over 100

that was back pay from the contract that was in arbitration for quite a while.....blame the arbitrator ....he was the one who awarded it......

A. Full-Time Employees
Article 9.2.A

B. Hourly Rate Employees
1 and Under 500 25
500 and Under 1000 50
1000 and Under 1500 75
1500 and Over 100

that was back pay from the contract that was in arbitration for quite a while.....blame the arbitrator ....he was the one who awarded it......

Yep, I don't blame the employees. I do blame the union itself and the idiots that actually agreed to it.

A. Full-Time Employees
Article 9.2.A

B. Hourly Rate Employees
1 and Under 500 25
500 and Under 1000 50
1000 and Under 1500 75
1500 and Over 100

Yep, I don't blame the employees. I do blame the union itself and the idiots that actually agreed to it.

when it goes to Arbitration.....both sides have to agree to what is awarded....you dont have a choice......

when it goes to Arbitration.....both sides have to agree to what is awarded....you dont have a choice......

it is true it is the final decision of the arbitrator, but both sides have input within the process itself.

The post office has become the primary delivery option of junk mail. I even get my bills in e-mail now. I cannot remember the last time I got a letter or a card in the mail. Packages go by UPS or Fed Ex. Yet the postal workers union still gets their benefits. Get rid of the union, reduce the postal rates and perhaps the post office might have a chance. As it is now, the purpose it serves is more like an appendix.

maybe to your house.....but if you seen how much first class goes business to business you may not think that....

I do. In fact, my company gets no business mail at all. Since the home office is in London, mail would be too slow. Everything is done by e-mail. Including court documents that are scanned in and e-mailed.

US Postal Service to default on second $5B payment

The U.S. Postal Service, on the brink of default on a second multibillion-dollar payment it can't afford to pay, is sounding a new cautionary note that having squeezed out all the cost savings within its power, the mail agency's viability now lies almost entirely with Congress.

In an interview, Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe said the mail agency will be forced to miss the $5.6 billion payment due to the Treasury on Sunday, its second default in as many months. Congress has left Washington until after the November elections, without approving a postal fix.

I seriously doubt that they have 'squeezed out all the cost savings within its power'.

I do. In fact, my company gets no business mail at all. Since the home office is in London, mail would be too slow. Everything is done by e-mail. Including court documents that are scanned in and e-mailed.
im talking here not there.....you haven't seen it unless you either work on the inside or deliver to some big businesses....otherwise you have no idea....

New Topics

Forum List

Back