US Postal Service?? Part A. Cost increase.

Working Man

Aug 22, 2004
Another rate hike to send a first class letter (your charge card payment, auto insurance premium, ,etc.) is going up next year. Maybe...

Why??? Why do the private citizens have to bankroll a quasi government agency that pays itself so well???

I am not knocking the individual post men and women, not even the enty level sorters, and bulk handlers.... But,,, the people who allow crap mail to be routed to my mailbox from the likes of Sears, Marshalls, ComCast,Ikea,AOL,etc., need to be thinned out to reflect actual efectiveness. Do we really need a postal service that is so big that it can't adjust to changing demands, or lack of???Why do we, the working class, have to subsidize the likes of those who can afford to print up multi color catalogs and do huge bulk mailings for items I never wanted to begin with..

I don't want to see anyone laid off from a good job, but,,, there are times when the times dictate that cutbacks are needed.. In this case, people use Email, cell phones, FAXES, ,etc to communicate. Thus, less need for mail carriers, trucks, sorters, etc... Many companies advertise online,, this of course yields less need for mail carriers, sorters, low level, mid level, upper level managers, So why pay more for a stamp if the demand is down? I am not going to pay for the USPS losses, or inefficiencies, or totally unrealistic demands that can not be logicaly supported.

It would be one thing if an true and honest relationship existed between bulk mailers and consumers/recipients, but I believe in most cases, no bonified relationship exists. I have to pay full price to mail a payment to my dentist, while Walmart can fill my mailbox with their junkfilled rags. Same for those suppliers of local weekly coupon papers that are filled with loose ad cards from Bose Radio and Gieco insurance. Those cards fall out of the unsealed ad rags and litter lawns and streets. The USPS should charge Dell computers a buck, or more, to mail out their miserable catalogs in bulk. Same for all those F'n cds from AOL... Let the bulk mailers who keep filling mailkboxes up with junk pay for the remioval too.

In the meantime,, the USPS should be thinking about how to cut the price of a first class stamp a few pennies. The USPS can NOT justify a raise when the demand for thier services is not there, and inequities exist between private mail and business costs/demand levels.

Any time an entity is allowed to operate in a realm other than free enterprise, the results are predictable. Ever had a problem with your utility company? You know all too well, then, the practical response you'll get from THOSE sweethearts: Tough shit. What do we care? What are you going to do - fire us?

If I'm not satisfied with the service I receive from UPS or FedEx, I have recourse, and they know it. They are operating in ECONOMIC REALITY. God bless the free enterprise system.

I know what you mean. You pay us, we lose your letter, maybe we will give you a check for 50 cents for your loss.. But, the fact that you lost a contract, or somebody dies as a result of a lab test being lost in our system,,,,,,, (no joke, I used to be in the Med Field and the response was as such)

OK, I am not trying to bash the USPS, Fedex, DHL, or anyone. They compete. But, the USPS has more than one source of income, my left AND right pockets. That is not a true competitor,, but then I guess DHL is similar too in that the Germans are subsidising their costs too.

USPS,, my mail goes to a address constantly. It may only happen five times a year.. BUt, it will happen for about a week or two each time. Example. My address is East Willow Rd.,,, the mail will go to Willow RD, WIllow St.... or I receive the people's mail who live at those streets here.

Twice marked the letters " ROUTE TO CORRECT ADDRESS" and circled the address that was clearly marked on the envelopes.. I still got the Fn letters back in my mailbox the next day, or so!!!!!!!!! Go figure. Oye Vey!!!!!

:rotflmao: ...Think the GOVERNMENT run USPS is a problem?
Wait until they have the USMS..(U.S. Medical Service)!

Don't believe that? Check the condition of the Social Security system, Medicaid
or Education. Or any other Government run social Program.

There are only a few things the Government can do well...Give me a minute to think ...ahhhh I'll come up with one...I promise.

Working Man said:
USPS,, my mail goes to a address constantly. It may only happen five times a year.. BUt, it will happen for about a week or two each time. Example. My address is East Willow Rd.,,, the mail will go to Willow RD, WIllow St.... or I receive the people's mail who live at those streets here.

Twice marked the letters " ROUTE TO CORRECT ADDRESS" and circled the address that was clearly marked on the envelopes.. I still got the Fn letters back in my mailbox the next day, or so!!!!!!!!! Go figure. Oye Vey!!!!!

we have this same problem at work. part of my job is when the mail comes in, open it and date stamp the contents. i get mail that has an address isn't even near my work address. the zip code isn't even the same. but i still get it. it's a pain in the ass.

Forum List

Back