US postal service, dis service?? Part B

Working Man

Aug 22, 2004
OK, so the big shots at USPS want to keep their raises and make the little guys pay for the inefficiencies of their quasi agency... We know they want a raise and have proposed raising the price of a stamp...

I don't think they are worth it. PERIOD.

Now dig this.. Go into any large chain store where you find USPS mailing/shipping supplies. Look at the lables and see where the products are made.. The products are all made in Canada. Not ONE of the items were manufactured in the US.. NOT ONE.. The cardboard tubes, boxes, and platic adhesive tape are all made in Canada. Sure, I know about Nafta and the rest of those scams... BUT I ALSO KNOW that a cardboard box company in Missouri???? (or some US state) is closing it's doors and laying off people because of the business climate in the us. I understand that the company has been in business for a couple of hundred years or so.. We import more cardboard then we produce here.. Just go to WalMart and look at the boxes that reach the moon sitting on all of those pallets. See how many boxes are marked CHINA on them.. Better yet, it would be easier just to count those marked Made in the USA.

Screw the US Post Master General. Your fat ass should be FIRED!!!!

Working Man said:
OK, so the big shots at USPS want to keep their raises and make the little guys pay for the inefficiencies of their quasi agency... We know they want a raise and have proposed raising the price of a stamp...

I don't think they are worth it. PERIOD.

Now dig this.. Go into any large chain store where you find USPS mailing/shipping supplies. Look at the lables and see where the products are made.. The products are all made in Canada. Not ONE of the items were manufactured in the US.. NOT ONE.. The cardboard tubes, boxes, and platic adhesive tape are all made in Canada. Sure, I know about Nafta and the rest of those scams... BUT I ALSO KNOW that a cardboard box company in Missouri???? (or some US state) is closing it's doors and laying off people because of the business climate in the us. I understand that the company has been in business for a couple of hundred years or so.. We import more cardboard then we produce here.. Just go to WalMart and look at the boxes that reach the moon sitting on all of those pallets. See how many boxes are marked CHINA on them.. Better yet, it would be easier just to count those marked Made in the USA.

Screw the US Post Master General. Your fat ass should be FIRED!!!!

You lost me there. What does the NAFTA agreement and the importing of cardboard boxes have to do with post office inefficiency?

-=d=- said:
Frankly, the USPS is a monopoly...I'd bet if private companies were allowed to carry mail, the USPS would go under. :(

I couldn't agree more. They wouldn't last a week in an economic reality that featured competition, accoutability, and recourse for their customers.

I'm reminded of a line from the silly movie, "Ghostbusters". Dan Akroyd's character informs his buddies, " You don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector - they expect RESULTS".

What about UPS, fed ex, DHL, and Airborne express (just to name a few). These are private firms competing with the USPS. A monopoly by definition means that the market is occupied by a single firm with a heterogeneous product. Also Monopolies are (at least in economic terms) price setters, and does not face a supply curve. While the USPS may be inefficient it is certainly not a monopoly.

-=d=- said:
Frankly, the USPS is a monopoly...I'd bet if private companies were allowed to carry mail, the USPS would go under. :(
You don't think that's why they (USPS) have fought Fed-ex and UPS so hard in court to prevent any home delivery, do you? Don't have the links...But the USPS did try to prevent them from home overnight/letter stuff, I remember that for sure.

Forum List

Back