us post office? how much longer can it last?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
North Syracuse, New York (WSYR-TV) - The US Postal Service ended its fiscal year nearly $3 billion in the red, which means post office staffs around the country are looking at changing the ways it does business.
The reason for the money loss is because 9 billion fewer pieces of mail came through the post office. Now, it’s looking in to maximizing the staff they have and using more machines.

Instead of hiring from the outside to fill positions they will look in to their own existing staff. The Postal Service will also not fill positions when folks retire.

It’s also looking to save energy and try to expand their automated mailing centers in to places outside the post office. It hopes this will help increase business and bring in more revenue.

In order to stay competitive with Fed-Ex and other mail services, the postal service will also be increasing their prices in January anywhere from 5-8 percent depending on the type of postage, and mail being sent. For how those prices will impact your mail, head here: USPS - Latest News Releases

For holiday shipping deadlines, head here: USPS - 2008 Holiday Shipping Cut off Dates

US Postal Service losing money: what it means for you - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

has the us post office out lived its use? how much do you use the post office now days?

i use a epay bill system and may use one stamp a month at most...man uses 2 stamps a month on average. if i mail packages, i will use ups due to the insurance and tracking being included. if you have an account on line with ups you can ship for about half of what it costs at ups stores.

North Syracuse, New York (WSYR-TV) - The US Postal Service ended its fiscal year nearly $3 billion in the red, which means post office staffs around the country are looking at changing the ways it does business.
The reason for the money loss is because 9 billion fewer pieces of mail came through the post office. Now, it’s looking in to maximizing the staff they have and using more machines.

Instead of hiring from the outside to fill positions they will look in to their own existing staff. The Postal Service will also not fill positions when folks retire.

It’s also looking to save energy and try to expand their automated mailing centers in to places outside the post office. It hopes this will help increase business and bring in more revenue.

In order to stay competitive with Fed-Ex and other mail services, the postal service will also be increasing their prices in January anywhere from 5-8 percent depending on the type of postage, and mail being sent. For how those prices will impact your mail, head here: USPS - Latest News Releases

For holiday shipping deadlines, head here: USPS - 2008 Holiday Shipping Cut off Dates

US Postal Service losing money: what it means for you - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

has the us post office out lived its use? how much do you use the post office now days?

i use a epay bill system and may use one stamp a month at most...man uses 2 stamps a month on average. if i mail packages, i will use ups due to the insurance and tracking being included. if you have an account on line with ups you can ship for about half of what it costs at ups stores.

I still use usps for regular first class mail postage. But when I ship parcels and valuables or want dependable tracking I go through ups. UPS imo is superior to fedex or usps.

I just found out my ex is a postman now! Is it bad to have alittle part of me that hopes he gets laid off?

I think that the USPO must change or die.

Sending information on paper from place to place is a silly thing to do, now.

People communicate five times as much now as they did before email, and still never send a letter via the USPO.

US mail is going to go the way of the telegram.

I think the post office should cut back on delivering mail on Saturdays. They also should improve their express and priority service to offer better tracking technology. If they're trying to compete with FedEx and UPS, they're doing a terrible job. You can buy a tracking number for any package you ship with the post office, but the tracking number just says it's being delivered and nothing else. It doesn't go into anywhere near as depth as UPS or FedEx does. It's been the same for over a decade and I wish to hell they'd change it - their prices are lower than almost everyone's out there.

lol and we want the goverment running healthcare....everything they touch goes bankrupt

is he paying child support?
not mine! HE isn't my son's father, he is an ex from a few years ago that liked to cheat on me with fat ugly girls. I really hope he keeps his job because he married one of those girls he cheated on me with but you know how it goes!

Last edited:
not mine! HE isn't my son's father, he is an ex from a few years ago that liked to cheat on me with fat ugly girls. I really hope he keeps his job because he married one of those girls he cheated on me with but you know how it goes!

I thought women got fat AFTER they trapped the man lol!

I still write hand written letters and sent them in the mail, and pay my bills but a few by mail.

I must be a dinosaur! :doubt:

LOL.

ah finally meeting an end after TWO HUNDRED YEARS of fine service.

compared to GM?

thanks for the chuckle.:cool:

Yeah, it's easy to stay in business when you run a monopoly and have government funding...thats what the post office is right? It is a monopoly basically. You don't use Fed Ex or other couriers for normal mail.

They can raise the prices on stamps.

Yes lets compare that to a private industry that pays taxes and has competition.

Also, I can't even remember when the last time the Post office turned a profit. They have always been broke.

Yes, thanks for the chuckle

IMO .... the "internet and fax machine's" was/is the downfall of the US Postal Dept. There were rumors awhile back that some email provider's (Yahoo, maybe??) were going to start charging, right? :eusa_shhh:

Our family stays connected via Yahoo Groups. One email sent - goes to the entire family group ... and it is free. :)

Well .... free as far as Yahoo Email Group's, goes. :lol:

I thought women got fat AFTER they trapped the man lol!

I still write hand written letters and sent them in the mail, and pay my bills but a few by mail.

I must be a dinosaur! :doubt:
I guess he likes them already big which I have no problem with, I think it is great just not when we are still dating. It did feel good when I was nine months pregnant feeling like a whale and running into him with his wife and she was still bigger then me.

I still do everything by mail also and I feel bad for these people who might loose their job. Most probably have families they are supporting, I will have to mail more stuff in the next couple of months to help out.

Well... Mailing a piece of first class mail in the states it's still cheaper for the USPS than it is in any other country. How much is it to send just a letter through UPS or FedEx? It's only 42¢ through the USPS. Across the country or down the street for a 1oz letter it's only 42¢. I doubt that UPS or FedEx can do it anywhere near that price. To every address? Something will have to replace the service they provide. If you let private industry take over they will not do it for 42¢ an ounce but more like $4-5 an ounce.

Forum List

Back