US Open Golf

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Who, beside me is watching it? (I got it love on Fox Sports 1 with more this evening on Fox)

I don't think I've ever seen a golf course like this before for any major tournament. They talk about links courses but this has those beat by a mile. How many holes are there where you can see the green from the tee? Or is you're supposed to see it, can't because there's no difference between fairway and green?

And the railroad trains? C'mon now.

I also notice there are a lot of holes where spectators can't watch.

Of course, the media makes a big deal about Tiger, ignoring that Rory's doing worse. And he grew up on links courses!

Yeah I'm watching it like always but not liking the course. It's visually interesting but the greens suck balls. I've seen muni courses with better greens. Seriously the Open could come down to someone having to make a 4 footer and he could hit it perfect and bounce bounce oops you missed you lose. Is that what the Open should be? Somebody f-d up.

I'm torn by the course. It is laid out very much like the very first courses. They had no irrigation and relied on rainfall. The only difference with Chambers Bay is a total lack of water hazards.

For a major championship with the winner has to show a total control of his game, course management, and patience, the course meets the standard.

My only problem is how Fox is airing it. No matter how hard I try, once the ball lands, either in the fairway or on the green, I can't see the damned thing.

I would also like to see far more graphics of the way the greens are laid out.

I don't like the coverage either. I do like the course itself and apparently they changed out the 13th green which actually resembles a green. So ditch Fox and change out the rest of the greens and they've got something.

Hertz Doughnuts all over the course....miss the fairway, hurts donit.
Miss the ridge on approach shots, hertz doughnut
Greens are not green, they're brown, hertz doughnut
shabyest grass ever in any U.S. Open, hertz doughnut, just ask Horshel.

It's holding my interest just to see the course. Surreal at times...looks like they're playing on another planet...where the sand looks like freshly poured cement

I like the sound of the blimp.

...and I like seeing putts like that go in!

Who, beside me is watching it? (I got it love on Fox Sports 1 with more this evening on Fox)

I don't think I've ever seen a golf course like this before for any major tournament. They talk about links courses but this has those beat by a mile. How many holes are there where you can see the green from the tee? Or is you're supposed to see it, can't because there's no difference between fairway and green?

Of course, the media makes a big deal about Tiger, ignoring that Rory's doing worse. And he grew up on links courses!

The course reminded me of maybe the most extended putt putt courses on the planet. The greens were an embarrassment to my part of the country. We have plenty of great courses up here in the pacific NW. Even the lowly 9 holes at Interbay has REAL playable greens. This Open would have made more sense if the players were forced to wear clown suits to go along with the house of mirrors and greens of mystery.

This course IS NOT A TYPICAL public course up here in Western Washington. It was an embarrassment that they couldn't have provided a true championship green surface to go with the rest of the course.

It's holding my interest just to see the course. Surreal at times...looks like they're playing on another planet...where the sand looks like freshly poured cement

I like the sound of the blimp.

...and I like seeing putts like that go in!
I think the bunkers are filled with volcanic ash from Mt. St. Helens.
The last two putts were the biggest hertz doughnuts of the tournament.

The sad thing is that, instead of getting credit for coming back with a double bogey by making a birdie, Jordan will always be known as the US Open winner by default - de fault of two putts that shoulda gone in. :mad:

My mom called me yesterday and said I know you hate golf but turn on the US open, tell me where this is. ( my parents, very into golfing )
It really does look like its being played on another planet and the players risk falling off rocky cliffs. lol
Not sure why they chose that one.

The sad thing is that, instead of getting credit for coming back with a double bogey by making a birdie, Jordan will always be known as the US Open winner by default - de fault of two putts that shoulda gone in. :mad:

Course exposed the mental make-up of many pro golfers........prima donna whiners!

BTW, Jordan still won it and not by default as Dustin Johnson is ranked 159th on the PGA Tour at making putts from 6 feet in. Johnson just played to his stats!

No. He won because he completed the course in fewer strokes. Just because he finished before the Johnson's last two failed putts and would have LOST if Johnson made the first one, TIED if Johnson made the second...does not detract from the feat that he accomplished. He won the tournament. He won because he played the course better than all the other contenders.

No. He won because he completed the course in fewer strokes. Just because he finished before the Johnson's last two failed putts and would have LOST if Johnson made the first one, TIED if Johnson made the second...does not detract from the feat that he accomplished. He won the tournament. He won because he played the course better than all the other contenders.

LongK needs a subscription to 'Golf Digest'.

I sort of followed Thursday-Saturday on the radio and checked the leaderboard on the net. I finally sat down and watched the thing yesterday from Spieth at the 14th hole. Exciting finish.

I thought the course was an interesting departure from the norm. Even though it's completely artificial (built on an old rock quarry), it has a natural dunesy look to it. The drought is a serious issue in California and water is becoming too precious to keep 18 holes of grass green throughout the summer. I didn't realize that drought is also an issue in Washington State, but apparently it is. Chambers Bay is a good model for the future of golf in California and Arizona, though I think you could still have plenty of drought-tolerant trees like oaks.

NBA is over. NFL is a ways away. Baseball enters the dog days of summer. This is sports purgatory.

Having played on old style courses in Europe - never got to the UK - I thought the course was exactly the way the game was meant to be.

Hazards are to penalize players for errant shots - as is the rough. I was surprised to see the rough so low for an Open.

Instead of a cow pasture, someone turned a closed gravel pit into a golf course. A neat idea and a true test of golf.

Those who whined about it should go back to the groomed Executive courses and stop crying.

Spieth earned the title and I expect to see him win a lot more - as long as he stays grounded on his friends and family.

Forum List

Back