US Number #1 ....

One of the reasons I started this post was simply to show that this nation still has much to offer to world in many areas and we lead the world in many areas as well. What I have been seeing lately as the willingness to point out how badly this nation does in some areas and while true perhaps, it's also worth mentioning that this nation also does well in other areas.

Navy, by introducing positive facts such as these you remove the fear mongering factors that the partisan posters on both sides use in their incessant game of juvenile one-ups-man-ship.

I rarely hear Democrats fear mongering about science. Actually, I can't remember ever hearing it.

The Ansari X Prize was a space competition in which the X Prize Foundation offered a US$10,000,000 prize for the first non-government organization to launch a reusable manned spacecraft into space twice within two weeks. It was modeled after early 20th-century aviation prizes, and aimed to spur development of low-cost spaceflight.

Created in May 1996 and initially called just the "X Prize", it was renamed the "Ansari X Prize" on May 6, 2004 following a multi-million dollar donation from entrepreneurs Anousheh Ansari and Amir Ansari.

The prize was won on October 4, 2004, the 47th anniversary of the Sputnik 1 launch, by the Tier One project designed by Burt Rutan and financed by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, using the experimental spaceplane SpaceShipOne. $10 million was awarded to the winner, but more than $100 million was invested in new technologies in pursuit of the prize
Ansari X Prize - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Space Exploration Technologies Corporation (SpaceX) is an American space transport company founded by PayPal co-founder Elon Musk. It has developed the Falcon 1 and is developing the Falcon 9, both of which are partially reusable launch vehicles. SpaceX is also developing the Dragon series of spacecraft to be orbited by Falcon 9 launchers. SpaceX designs, tests and fabricates the majority of their components in-house, including the Merlin, Kestrel, and Draco rocket engines.

Originally based in El Segundo, SpaceX now operates out of Hawthorne, California.

SpaceX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the reasons I started this post was simply to show that this nation still has much to offer to world in many areas and we lead the world in many areas as well. What I have been seeing lately as the willingness to point out how badly this nation does in some areas and while true perhaps, it's also worth mentioning that this nation also does well in other areas.

Navy, by introducing positive facts such as these you remove the fear mongering factors that the partisan posters on both sides use in their incessant game of juvenile one-ups-man-ship.

I rarely hear Democrats fear mongering about science. Actually, I can't remember ever hearing it.

while not necessarily fear mongering:

Warning that the United States is losing its edge in innovation, Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives proposed an ambitious agenda last week intended to ensure the nation's continued leadership in science and technology.

Democrats Announce Science Agenda - Archives - The Chronicle of Higher Education

we weren't losing our edge and we haven't lost our edge....hyperbole at best, fear mongering at worst

this is a great post. navy makes the point just how deep innovation and ambition got to run to be top-dog.

reality, for those who dont get it, is not partisan. dont y'all ever feel the need to appreciate things for what they are? good?

:eusa_eh: Never mind, don't respond. I just ate and I don't want to puke it back up.

Warning that the United States is losing its edge in innovation, Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives proposed an ambitious agenda last week intended to ensure the nation's continued leadership in science and technology.

Democrats Announce Science Agenda - Archives - The Chronicle of Higher Education

we weren't losing our edge and we haven't lost our edge....hyperbole at best, fear mongering at worst

Nope. That's called fear mongering, you know - We need to do this or else!!!

To see how business organizations are adapting to new challenges brought by the global economy and shifts in technological practices, consider the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, the newest design in commercial air transportation.

The Dreamliner, scheduled to launch in early 2009, will incorporate highly sophisticated avionics, advanced communications, engines that will consume 20% less fuel than today's similarly sized commercial aircraft and many other state-of-the-art capabilities.

Experts said to bring all these cutting-edge technologies to bear on the new airliner, Boeing served as a large-scale integrator, creating a far-reaching global network consisting of interdisciplinary design teams and a supply chain of more than 70 companies.

ASME Highlights Boeing 787 Dreamliner as Model for Global Design Innovation

This aircraft even motivated Airbus to build an aircraft to compete with it, which they had no plans to do because they said it was not needed, until Boeing got about 700 plus orders for the aircraft.

I was tempted to just spew something mindlessly partisan, but decided to read the article because I was interested in the criteria for which the rankings were made:

ranking is based on indices such as
a. the number of internet users in a nation,
b. the ease of doing business and the stability of banks (that score alone makes surprising that the U.S. tops the list).

Every factor is then categorized as either an input or an output, with inputs indicating how conducive countries are to stimulating innovation (these include institutions and policies, human capacity, infrastructure, technological sophistication, business markets and capital).

The outputs indicate how effectively countries translate innovation into benefits - like knowledge, competitiveness and wealth.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record here, NAVY, because I appreciate the thought behind the thread, but the #1 Innovative rank of the USA seems to be a direct result of it having the largest, least risky, most freely capitalist, and least regulated markets on earth.

This would seem to be in direct contravention of More Government.

Yes we pay tax dollars to develop medicine and such then give the drug to big pharma who manufactures it somewhere else then sells it to us for 10X what they sell it for in another country.
And as I have said before most of big pharma is foreign owned.

AND big pharma has no interest in curing your disease, but to get you on an expensive lifetime maintenance medication. Then they use billions to put the ad on TV telling you to tell your doctor how much you need it. Modern-day snake oil salesmen at their best. They are NOT spending all that money on R&D, but on marketing and salaries.

Big Pharma Spends More On Advertising Than Research And Development, Study Finds

I was tempted to just spew something mindlessly partisan, but decided to read the article because I was interested in the criteria for which the rankings were made:

b. the ease of doing business and the stability of banks (that score alone makes surprising that the U.S. tops the list).

Every factor is then categorized as either an input or an output, with inputs indicating how conducive countries are to stimulating innovation (these include institutions and policies, human capacity, infrastructure, technological sophistication, business markets and capital).

The outputs indicate how effectively countries translate innovation into benefits - like knowledge, competitiveness and wealth.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record here, NAVY, because I appreciate the thought behind the thread, but the #1 Innovative rank of the USA seems to be a direct result of it having the largest, least risky, most freely capitalist, and least regulated markets on earth.

Or perhaps dare I say it, "Smart" and "targeted" legislation that promotes even more innovation? At least in my opinion when the regulations come they seem to often toss a blanket over such things, and they really don'y have to be that way, in fact legislation should promote business not hinder it. I know today the word business friendly is not something many would agree with but I tend to think that the more friendly the environment is for business the more it promotes innovation and the more business wants to actually do things like build products and provide services and that translates into things like jobs, and health insurance. When Govt. starts to over-regulate or perhaps over-reach in an attempt to control, should they be surprised when they find an environment where business is movving to other places? I'm not one of thoes who say's don't regulate, because regulation can be good, when it's done in a smart and innovative manner.

most freely capitalist? least regulated? direct, you say?

more government doesnt really displace the private sector like the fearful presume. we dont taut the most free markets, just the best: the equity markets with the best firms; the monetary markets with the best currency:)confused:); the comex with the most action.

more government doesnt really displace the private sector like the fearful presume. we dont taut the most free markets, just the best: the equity markets with the best firms; the monetary markets with the best currency:)confused:); the comex with the most action.

What country has a more free capitalist market and is the same size (GNP) as the USA?

I'll make it a little more fair: What country has a more free capitalist market and is at least HALF the GNP of the USA?

It's probably due to things like Oxiclean and Slapchop. :eusa_whistle:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTpXh33Mbeg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbWjIKxrrs[/ame]

I'm not surprised the US is number one in these categories. It has an abundance of knowledge from a variety of cultures, and the money to do the development. The world owes a lot to US innovation...

Or perhaps dare I say it, "Smart" and "targeted" legislation that promotes even more innovation? At least in my opinion when the regulations come they seem to often toss a blanket over such things, and they really don'y have to be that way, in fact legislation should promote business not hinder it. I know today the word business friendly is not something many would agree with but I tend to think that the more friendly the environment is for business the more it promotes innovation and the more business wants to actually do things like build products and provide services and that translates into things like jobs, and health insurance. When Govt. starts to over-regulate or perhaps over-reach in an attempt to control, should they be surprised when they find an environment where business is movving to other places? I'm not one of thoes who say's don't regulate, because regulation can be good, when it's done in a smart and innovative manner.

But, in the USA, despite ALL the "nay-sayers" there is the most innovation (i.e. opportunity for free market capitalism).

However, SECURITY is what allows this freedom: E.G. China buys US securities because we have domestic security that insures those securities for 30+ years.

What country has a more free capitalist market and is the same size (GNP) as the USA?

I'll make it a little more fair: What country has a more free capitalist market and is at least HALF the GNP of the USA?

fair? what country has as much as half our gnp? my point is that it is not freedom alone that makes a market work for an economy, nor an economy work for the benefit of a nation. i dont think you'll find the US in the top 5 markets in the world with respect to freedom. you probably wont find any of those top 5 near the top of the GDP scale either.

Ummm, wow, I don't know what to say. "We need to invest because we are losing our edge" is "fear-mongering"????

teabagger+racist+912+signs.jpg

slide_1398_20072_large.jpg

Ummm, wow, I don't know what to say. "We need to invest because we are losing our edge" is "fear-mongering"????

teabagger+racist+912+signs.jpg

slide_1398_20072_large.jpg

That not what I meant but if you want to believe it is go right ahead. But then again you could just remove your blue blinders and take a broader view, this may come as a surprise but not everyone is as narrow minded as you are..

i dont think you'll find the US in the top 5 markets in the world with respect to freedom. you probably wont find any of those top 5 near the top of the GDP scale either.

The criteria for the #1 Ranking in innovation....did you read them in the article or see the quote from the article that I posted?

Basically the USA was ranked #1 in innovation because it is the largest free capitalist market on the earth.

OK, which nations would you rank in the top 5 markets in the world with respect to freedom? Don't even pay attention to the GNP. Certainly nothing in Europe, S. America, or Africa.....That narrows it down to Asia....India? No...too much Hindu vs Muslim nuclear warheads........China? Not exactly "Free Market." Japan Inc.? Maybe.

Forum List

Back