US Needs to Send Ground Troops to Fight ISIS, NOW.

If we delay long enough Syria and Iraq may solve this themselves. What's the hurry ?
Ummmmm... preventing the adherents of a potentially lethal and nihilistic ideology from carving-out a nation-state of their own from which to threaten us or our descendants, in the coming years, once they've consolidated and expanded their holdings, and grown strong enough to reach out and strike on a substantial scale?... 'An ounce of prevention...' ?

Last edited:
How many tanks ? How many Planes ?
I have no idea, nor do I pretend to have a crystal ball to inform us of such things. Why do you ask?
That's easily remedied, once sufficient intel and research have been undertaken.

One then applies strategy and tactics and assets to match the goals associated with such an intervention.

I am provisionally on-board with the idea of active military intervention but the devil is in the details.

Once we define the element(s) and territory(ies) to be impacted, we can then begin to narrow things down, in order to devise suitable goals, from which all else follows, yes?

Who's your foreign policy advisor, the tooth fairy?
Whatever are you babbling about? And who-the-hell peed in your Cheerios this morning, eh?

You're asking for battle plans before we (either the government, in the Real World, or the folks here on this thread) have a viable consensus over the scope and nature of the threat.

At this early juncture, I'm merely weighing-in, in favor of some sort of effective intervention, before this particular baby viper can grow into something truly dangerous, and, I'm advocating for us to do a much better job with politics, intel, goal-setting, asset deployment, etc., before we do.

If you can conjure-up some kind of 'tooth fairy' -like foreign policy manifestation out of that, have at it. The floor is yours.

...Don't even bother replying...
Too late.

...I'm not responding to your jingoistic fairy-tale nonsense...
What jingoism to you see at work here?

What fairy-tale nonsense do you see at work here?

Is this code-speak for a placeholder-rationale to insult and attempt to discredit anyone with whom you disagree, in this context?

I'm really curious.

...I'm just playing around with this "nested quote" business to see if I can get any control over it.
Keep at it... you'll find that the effort pays off.

If we delay long enough Syria and Iraq may solve this themselves. What's the hurry ?
Ummmmm... preventing the adherents of a potentially lethal and nihilistic ideology from carving-out a nation-state of their own from which to threaten us or our descendants, in the coming years, once they've consolidated and expanded their holdings, and grown strong enough to reach out and strike on a substantial scale?... 'An ounce of prevention...' ?

Syria and Iraq are already hitting this common enemy. They don't even HAVE an air force and their armor is taking hits. It's not like there is a munitions plant in the area that's going to rearm them. I've very skeptical of those who are in awe of this upstart group of radicals with knives. The media can't seem to wait until they can get another gory war picture to flash on the airways.

That boat sailed a long time ago, as Bush fucked it all up and Obama has been not able to repair it.

Heavy air strikes only and let the Arab nations that hate ISIS carry the ground battle.

Oh shut the fuck up. This is what I mean about you childish lefties. The conversation was a good back and forth with people stating valid concerns until you show up to make a statement so black and white and childish that even a 5 yr old could see you have no interest in debate.

Yeah. Everybody is war weary. Oh yeah. Well, that's been the popular thought for a few years now (even though there's been less deaths in Iraq/Afghanistan over 13 years, than a single World War II battle). Well, I'm afraid to say folks, that little notion has very quickly gone out of style. As they used to say in college, "form follows function" Well, the function now has changed from "Bush just wants to get oil", and "Obama will get us out of there", to "fight them there now, or fight them here very soon." Every national security expert agrees that ISIS fully intends to attack the US, once it accomplishes it's goals in the Middle East. Looking at all the relevant variables, it's hard to make the case that they couldn't attack here, and impose massive genocide + massive structural damage. Guess what folks > The "war weary" era is now over.

ISIS has tons of money (to purchase bombs, nukes, biological weapons, gas, and bribe traitors). On top of that, the "Open Target" (name of the book that former Homeland Security Inspector General, Clark Kent Ervin wrote a few years ago) hasn't gotten much less open, since Ervin wrote that book. Have the ports gotten better since Lou Dobbs exposed their vulnerable status? (5% of shipping containers being inspected) Are water treatment plants (containing Chlorine tanks) any better secured than they have been (with a lone unarmed, security guard). Do all citizens have gas masks ? Are all streets surveilled with street camera/recorders ? Do we even come close to the level of security that is practiced routinely in Israel ?

Many more questions than these could be asked, and all with the same qualitative result. That we in America, are not well prepared for a well-organized, well-financed military force, coming here and attacking us, with 2014 methodology.

Conclusion ? Time for Obama to get past the 2007 notion of removing troops from the Middle East and "no boots on the ground" which got him elected in 2008, and get up to speed. This is 2014. There is a real threat to America talking place before our eyes, and this is no time to play political games, or cling to outdated mantras. Obama's "no boots on the ground" is as dead as a doornail. The US needs to go after ISIS in Iraq, in Syria, and wherever they are, and obliterate them, and we need to do it with whatever it takes, and it looks that that includes ground troops, and we need to do it NOW.

When will you be signing up to go? You could probably go join the Iraqi army and give them a hand.

It's not our fight. They are a threat to Turkey - let Erdogan send in his army. ISIS would be gone in a week.

Or let the Saudis do some bombing runs with the F-16s that we sold them.

Or the Egyptians with the F-16s we sold them.

Or the Jordanians, with the F-16s we sold them.

Get it?

Syria and Iraq are already hitting this common enemy. They don't even HAVE an air force and their armor is taking hits. It's not like there is a munitions plant in the area that's going to rearm them. I've very skeptical of those who are in awe of this upstart group of radicals with knives. The media can't seem to wait until they can get another gory war picture to flash on the airways.
The governments of Iraq and Syria are failing to beat ISIS and ISIS is only growing bigger and bigger. They kidnap UN troops and threaten the West in public.

The only way to stop this scum is by sending US troops.

Yeah. Everybody is war weary. Oh yeah. Well, that's been the popular thought for a few years now (even though there's been less deaths in Iraq/Afghanistan over 13 years, than a single World War II battle). Well, I'm afraid to say folks, that little notion has very quickly gone out of style. As they used to say in college, "form follows function" Well, the function now has changed from "Bush just wants to get oil", and "Obama will get us out of there", to "fight them there now, or fight them here very soon." Every national security expert agrees that ISIS fully intends to attack the US, once it accomplishes it's goals in the Middle East. Looking at all the relevant variables, it's hard to make the case that they couldn't attack here, and impose massive genocide + massive structural damage. Guess what folks > The "war weary" era is now over.

ISIS has tons of money (to purchase bombs, nukes, biological weapons, gas, and bribe traitors). On top of that, the "Open Target" (name of the book that former Homeland Security Inspector General, Clark Kent Ervin wrote a few years ago) hasn't gotten much less open, since Ervin wrote that book. Have the ports gotten better since Lou Dobbs exposed their vulnerable status? (5% of shipping containers being inspected) Are water treatment plants (containing Chlorine tanks) any better secured than they have been (with a lone unarmed, security guard). Do all citizens have gas masks ? Are all streets surveilled with street camera/recorders ? Do we even come close to the level of security that is practiced routinely in Israel ?

Many more questions than these could be asked, and all with the same qualitative result. That we in America, are not well prepared for a well-organized, well-financed military force, coming here and attacking us, with 2014 methodology.

Conclusion ? Time for Obama to get past the 2007 notion of removing troops from the Middle East and "no boots on the ground" which got him elected in 2008, and get up to speed. This is 2014. There is a real threat to America talking place before our eyes, and this is no time to play political games, or cling to outdated mantras. Obama's "no boots on the ground" is as dead as a doornail. The US needs to go after ISIS in Iraq, in Syria, and wherever they are, and obliterate them, and we need to do it with whatever it takes, and it looks that that includes ground troops, and we need to do it NOW.

When will you be signing up to go? You could probably go join the Iraqi army and give them a hand.

It's not our fight. They are a threat to Turkey - let Erdogan send in his army. ISIS would be gone in a week.

Get it?
Turkey is a member of NATO. If they are threatened we are required to help.

The governments of Iraq and Syria are failing to beat ISIS and ISIS is only growing bigger and bigger. They kidnap UN troops and threaten the West in public.

The only way to stop this scum is by sending US troops.

False. Syria (Assad) has not confronted ISIS. It has gone after all the moderate factions, and avoiding ISIS.

Why are you not wanting the other ME countries to stop ISIS on their own?

Why should an American soldier die so that a Jordanian or Saudi or Kuwaiti soldier can live, and live very comfortably?

Get it?
Turkey is a member of NATO. If they are threatened we are required to help.
True, if they are attacked within their borders. I'm suggesting that Türkiye send troops to help the Kurds fight ISIS.

And the mutual defense clause in NATO is only required if it is requested. I don't see Erdogan requesting assistance. Not that he would need any, other than satellite coordination, etc.

That boat sailed a long time ago, as Bush fucked it all up and Obama has been not able to repair it.

Heavy air strikes only and let the Arab nations that hate ISIS carry the ground battle.

Oh shut the fuck up. This is what I mean about you childish lefties. The conversation was a good back and forth with people stating valid concerns until you show up to make a statement so black and white and childish that even a 5 yr old could see you have no interest in debate.

EconChick is merely emoting again. The USA cannot again get in the ME because of Bush and Obama, other than heavy airstrikes. The American peoples' opinion will not permit it. You have no interest in common sense, only your unbalanced feelings.

EconChick is merely emoting again. The USA cannot again get in the ME because of Bush and Obama, other than heavy airstrikes. The American peoples' opinion will not permit it. You have no interest in common sense, only your unbalanced feelings.
She's a nuisance troll.

Fakey is merely sportcasting again. Making unfounded predictions and claims about "the people" that he pulls fresh out of his fetid asshole. The board will dismiss his trolling, as we always do.

Drone the shit out of these subhumans and send lots and lots of deadly weapons to regional peeps who will slaughter the assholes. No more boots on the ground......Iran will make sure these people don't get out of line nad the Arab nations need to buckle up their chinstraps for a stinkin' change.

From the statement about strategy:

Obama said he's asked America's top defense officials to prepare "a range of options" about what the United States could do to go after ISIS in Syria, which he described as "a safe haven" for the Sunni extremist group that calls itself the Islamic State.

The President's remarks follow days of speculation about whether the United States had a plan to go after ISIS in Syria.

"We need to make sure that we've got clear plans, that we're developing them. At that point, I will consult with Congress and make sure that their voices are heard," Obama said. "But there's no point in me asking for action on the part of Congress before I know exactly what it is that is going to be required for us to get the job done."

Obama on ISIS in Syria We don t have a strategy yet - CNN.com

I think Defense has been....MULLING it over..............

What happen to the libs minding their own business in the world, and them staying out of foreign countries business in their part of the world ? How come Brittan and those nations are not saying the same things that we are over the situation or are they ? Has Obama isolated us from our allies in which we have had in the last 60 to 70 years ? Who really is our allies today ? Who is ready to go to war with us or have they forsaken us now ? Would we be alone in the middle east, with maybe a few allies supporting us and our efforts there ? Is this ISIS the old republican guard re-surging out of the shadows finally, and is this why they are so sophisticated and militarized ? Did they just bide their time until they could get their country back from those for whom they feel have stolen it from them, otherwise if it is as Obama and his gang says, where as Bush went into Iraq and never should have ? If Bush went into Iraq and never should have, then are the Sunni's wrong for taking back what is supposedly theirs ? This is a question that Obama needs to have given to him by a journalist now, I mean since he claimed Bush went into Iraq without having any cause to.

I hope we are not "war weary" because the problem isn't ISIS. Think about it. The Taliban,Hamas,Boko Haram,ISIS,Al Qaeda,the Muslim Brotherhood,Islamic Jihad, you guys getting the big picture yet? We are not at war with individual groups, we are at war with Islam itself. This includes so called moderate Muslims. Sure they may not agree with the method used but they agree with the eventual outcome. In Islam there is only one law that should ever rule and that's the law of allah. Who are you to not follow the law of allah? This is why you don't see Moderates protesting the actions of their violent brethren, because they believe in the outcome of their actions and they don't have to get their hands dirty. They just sit back and let ISIS do it for them. This war will only end if either we wipe Islam off the face of the earth or they convert every last one of us whether we want to or not. Then the new war will be over who's Shite or Sunni because you have to be the right type of muslim and apparently they don't agree with that either.

good post Marianne . Also , so called moderates if they exist will be killed so they go along to get along .

US Needs to Send Ground Troops to Fight ISIS, NOW.

#####

Oh NO it does not!

The People of Muslim Iraq, Muslim Syria and the Muslim Arab etc world need to fight these ISIS/IS thugs/killers/butchers/barbarians themselves...or suffer the consequences.

The population of Iraq and Syria total about 55 million...more than enough to defeat the 80,000 ISIS/IS jihadist terrorist army.

Forum List

Back