US Navy Ship Opens Fire on Boat in Gulf

A combat ready ship from the greatest Navy that ever sailed on any ocean fired on a plywood Criss Craft with 4 terrorists aboard and only managed to kill one. Somethings not right.

Not a combat ship, Military Sealift Command, all cilvilans except a security detachment. If any American ship USNS or USS is approached they have the right to warn and if the warnining is not heeded, to fire upon as if hostile.

Please know what the fuck you are posting your opinion about before you post and show your ignorant ass.

Let's put it this way: We have the greatest Navy that ever sailed and a carrier strike force that can be anywhere in the world at the drop of a hat but the "Military Sealift Command" with all civilians aboard shoots (and misses) a boatload of terrorists. Maybe we should quit making gigantic toys and concentrate on the real threat.

Do you even know ANYTHING about the Navy? MSC (Military Sealift Command) is a privatized group that does UNREP (underway replenishment) ONLY. They aren't equipped with heavy guns and the 50 cal is the best they can get. BTW idiot, got a quick question for you............ever try to fire at a moving target from a moving platform with a 50 cal? I have and it's not as easy as you might think, because the waves can really fuck with your shot.

Besides, the MSC vessels that we use now are ships that used to be commissioned Navy vessels. Matter of fact, my very first ship back in '83 was the USS CONCORD (AFS-5), and when I went for my final sea tour in 98-99 it was onboard the USNS CONCORD (T-AFS-5). When she was USS? We carried two 3 inch 50's on the front, but when she became USNS? The guns were removed.

Try again before spewing bullshit you have no idea about.

It was "just a small civilian boat" that tore a hole into the Cole too

:cuckoo:

No judgment from me until ALL the facts come out, an apology may be in order, it may also not be appropriate.

Don't worry, nobody is coming after you for being judgemental and nobody is going to require an apology for being an arm chair admiral. Go with it. According to the A.P. it was a US Navy ship and as such should at least be protected by other ships or have enough armament to defend itself from freaking pirates in plywood dingys. Killing one and wounding three others is no victory. The Sailors should be able to operate a .50 cal machine better than that.

They fired a warning shot then disabled the boat..did you want them to totally destroy the boat?? kill all onboard? did you serve in the USN..if not then you dont know wtf you are talking about..so shut it.

No judgment from me until ALL the facts come out, an apology may be in order, it may also not be appropriate.

Don't worry, nobody is coming after you for being judgemental and nobody is going to require an apology for being an arm chair admiral. Go with it. According to the A.P. it was a US Navy ship and as such should at least be protected by other ships or have enough armament to defend itself from freaking pirates in plywood dingys. Killing one and wounding three others is no victory. The Sailors should be able to operate a .50 cal machine better than that.

They fired a warning shot then disabled the boat..did you want them to totally destroy the boat?? kill all onboard? did you serve in the USN..if not then you dont know wtf you are talking about..so shut it.

Pretty sure whitehall never served USN, because if he did, he wouldn't be spewing stupid all over this thread.

A combat ready ship from the greatest Navy that ever sailed on any ocean fired on a plywood Criss Craft with 4 terrorists aboard and only managed to kill one. Somethings not right.

Not a combat ship, Military Sealift Command, all cilvilans except a security detachment. If any American ship USNS or USS is approached they have the right to warn and if the warnining is not heeded, to fire upon as if hostile.

Please know what the fuck you are posting your opinion about before you post and show your ignorant ass.

Let's put it this way: We have the greatest Navy that ever sailed and a carrier strike force that can be anywhere in the world at the drop of a hat but the "Military Sealift Command" with all civilians aboard shoots (and misses) a boatload of terrorists. Maybe we should quit making gigantic toys and concentrate on the real threat.

They didn't miss.

Do you even know ANYTHING about the Navy? MSC (Military Sealift Command) is a privatized group that does UNREP (underway replenishment) ONLY. They aren't equipped with heavy guns and the 50 cal is the best they can get. BTW idiot, got a quick question for you............ever try to fire at a moving target from a moving platform with a 50 cal? I have and it's not as easy as you might think, because the waves can really fuck with your shot.

Besides, the MSC vessels that we use now are ships that used to be commissioned Navy vessels. Matter of fact, my very first ship back in '83 was the USS CONCORD (AFS-5), and when I went for my final sea tour in 98-99 it was onboard the USNS CONCORD (T-AFS-5). When she was USS? We carried two 3 inch 50's on the front, but when she became USNS? The guns were removed.

Thanks for saving me the typing.
:salute:

What is the problem with apologizing? It can save lives, much better than playing suck face with soon to be Saudi Kings. And there is one dead:

US Navy Ship Fires on Boat off Dubai, Killing 1 - ABC News

Negged for being an idiot.

I won't "neg" you for being an idiot, it could take days. But it turns out there were no terrorists, just guys on a wooden boat, the FACT remains we sucked up to the al Qaeda financiers for seven and 1/3 YEARS.

It was a small wooden boat with 3 outboard motors approaching what looks like a cargo ship in an area where pirates are known to take cargo ships and tankers, want to rethink your position?

I was on the Canisteo AO99 79-81

(in response to highlights above) First off, No they don't ONLY do underway replenishment, did you ever hear of the 2nd Lt. John P. Bobo, and like vessels? I sailed with some of them and I assure you they have nothing to do with UNREP. Second, they were built with their specific purposes in mind, and have always held USNS designations, and their purpose has always been part of MSC P.P. . Before you go off on others claiming to know the ins, and outs of the USN (of which I served "EW") I'd expect you would first get your facts straight.Prepositioning Program (PM3)

Negged for being an idiot.

I won't "neg" you for being an idiot, it could take days. But it turns out there were no terrorists, just guys on a wooden boat, the FACT remains we sucked up to the al Qaeda financiers for seven and 1/3 YEARS.

It was a small wooden boat with 3 outboard motors approaching what looks like a cargo ship in an area where pirates are known to take cargo ships and tankers, want to rethink your position?

Dont bother...open peaches head and all you find is the pit.

(in response to highlights above) First off, No they don't ONLY do underway replenishment, did you ever hear of the 2nd Lt. John P. Bobo, and like vessels? I sailed with some of them and I assure you they have nothing to do with UNREP. Second, they were built with their specific purposes in mind, and have always held USNS designations, and their purpose has always been part of MSC P.P. . Before you go off on others claiming to know the ins, and outs of the USN (of which I served "EW") I'd expect you would first get your facts straight.Prepositioning Program (PM3)

However, the Rappahannock is an oiler tanker and has everything to do with UNREP.
:eusa_hand:

I'm glad that none of the good guys were harmed.

tjvh has a good recommendation for everyone who would like to know more about the U.S. Navy's civilian ships.

Military Sealift Command

MSC was my last command in the Navy. I was the HQ Command Senior Chief and shipboard medical program's manager. We had UNREP ships like the Rappahannock and as others have mentioned, former Big Navy ships such as the Bridge and Arctic. MSC also owns the two hospital ships, and prepositioning ships that are stocked with every piece of war material and equipment you can imagine. One of MSC's neatest missions is done by the special mission ships. I called them the spy ships because that's what some of them do. MSC is part of the U.S. Transportation Command and commanded by a two or three star admiral. The HQ is at the Washington Navy yard with offices and ships located worldwide.

Maybe instead of saying always, I should have said mostly, because the largest amount of ships participate in UNREP.

As far as the MSC designation always being there? Try again.........because the USS CONCORD (AFS-5) was originally commissioned as a USS vessel that later converted over to USNS and was sent to MSC in 92. They weren't always under MSC dude.

Maybe instead of saying always, I should have said mostly, because the largest amount of ships participate in UNREP.

As far as the MSC designation always being there? Try again.........because the USS CONCORD (AFS-5) was originally commissioned as a USS vessel that later converted over to USNS and was sent to MSC in 92. They weren't always under MSC dude.

Yes many MSC ships were previously commissioned ships (mainly aux's, and oilers), when you stated "the MSC vessels that we use now are ships that used to be commissioned Navy vessels." I took that to mean you meant ALL of them used to be "USS" commissioned ships, which (as you had written) could very well be interpreted as such, but as I have shown with the RO-RO class that was not the case. I understand where you are coming from now.

I'm glad that none of the good guys were harmed.

tjvh has a good recommendation for everyone who would like to know more about the U.S. Navy's civilian ships.

Military Sealift Command

MSC was my last command in the Navy. I was the HQ Command Senior Chief and shipboard medical program's manager. We had UNREP ships like the Rappahannock and as others have mentioned, former Big Navy ships such as the Bridge and Arctic. MSC also owns the two hospital ships, and prepositioning ships that are stocked with every piece of war material and equipment you can imagine. One of MSC's neatest missions is done by the special mission ships. I called them the spy ships because that's what some of them do. MSC is part of the U.S. Transportation Command and commanded by a two or three star admiral. The HQ is at the Washington Navy yard with offices and ships located worldwide.

That entire site is a wealth of information, my old ship however has exited the ranks of that site... It is now serving as a man made reef several hundred miles off North Carolina. Yeah those RO-RO's are a big reason America can place the U.S. Army within arms reach of our enemies in a very short time frame.

Yes many MSC ships were previously commissioned ships (mainly aux's, and oilers), when you stated "the MSC vessels that we use now are ships that used to be commissioned Navy vessels." I took that to mean you meant ALL of them used to be "USS" commissioned ships, which (as you had written) could very well be interpreted as such, but as I have shown with the RO-RO class that was not the case. I understand where you are coming from now.

Like I said, was lucky enough to get selected for independent duty and go back to my first ship that I checked on as a PNSR (USS CONCORD) and check back on as a PN1 department head (USNS CONCORD). Because I had a pay error rate of 1.5 to 2.5 percent (outstanding was considered to be anything under 5 percent), MSC made all the other PN's on the waterfront come and check in with me to get a copy of my pay system if I was inport.

The only other specialized ship that I knew about belonging to the MSC was the research vessel USNS ZEUS, and after seeing all the other oilers and supply ships on the waterfront (with no other MSC vessels around) I thought that's what happened is that MSC took all the previously USS supply ships and incorporated them.

And............lemmie tell ya............being on an MSC vessel is a totally different experience than the traditional Navy ship, because you've got staterooms and they bring your meals to you on the mess decks.

However..................for all that fancy treatment, you've gotta pay in deployment. Over the 2 years that I was stationed on the USNS CONCORD I think I spent a grand total of 3 months in the States. All others were in the Med. Matter of fact, I had more friends in, and knew the town better in Augusta Bay Sicily than I did Norfolk.

Now that we got that all squared away :clap2:

I did unreps in the Canisteo AO 99, 79-81. Underway replenishment is the most awesome sights to behold. Controlled chaos. I was the duty Gunnersmate and shot the line across with the M14 line throwing kit. We also had three emergency breakaways while I was in the med 1981. No one got hurt but we had some close calls.

Last edited:

Like I said, was lucky enough to get selected for independent duty and go back to my first ship that I checked on as a PNSR (USS CONCORD) and check back on as a PN1 department head (USNS CONCORD). Because I had a pay error rate of 1.5 to 2.5 percent (outstanding was considered to be anything under 5 percent), MSC made all the other PN's on the waterfront come and check in with me to get a copy of my pay system if I was inport.

The only other specialized ship that I knew about belonging to the MSC was the research vessel USNS ZEUS, and after seeing all the other oilers and supply ships on the waterfront (with no other MSC vessels around) I thought that's what happened is that MSC took all the previously USS supply ships and incorporated them.

And............lemmie tell ya............being on an MSC vessel is a totally different experience than the traditional Navy ship, because you've got staterooms and they bring your meals to you on the mess decks.

However..................for all that fancy treatment, you've gotta pay in deployment. Over the 2 years that I was stationed on the USNS CONCORD I think I spent a grand total of 3 months in the States. All others were in the Med. Matter of fact, I had more friends in, and knew the town better in Augusta Bay Sicily than I did Norfolk.

Yeah, my friend was an ET1 on one of those ships (name escapes me) but he said the exact same thing... However nice it was compared to the reg. Navy, he always said he paid for it with that phrase..."haze gray and underway".:lol: He was always stuck in Italy as well back in the late 80's, you probably knew him.

I did unreps in the Canisteo AO 99, 79-81. Underway replenishment is the most awesome sights to behold. Controlled chaos. I was the duty Gunnermate and shot the line across with the M14 line throwing kit. We also had three emergency breakaways while I was in the med 1981. No one got hurt but we had some close calls.

I remember the Canisteo, I was on LPH-12, 86-89... Yeah "controlled chaos" sums it up nicely. The whole thing with driving two (or 3) pieces of giant floating steel that close together always had a certain amount of lunacy to it.:lol:

I did unreps in the Canisteo AO 99, 79-81. Underway replenishment is the most awesome sights to behold. Controlled chaos. I was the duty Gunnermate and shot the line across with the M14 line throwing kit. We also had three emergency breakaways while I was in the med 1981. No one got hurt but we had some close calls.

I remember the Canisteo, I was on LPH-12, 86-89... Yeah "controlled chaos" sums it up nicely. The whole thing with driving two (or 3) pieces of giant floating steel that close together always had a certain amount of lunacy to it.:lol:

We called ourselves a "floating 7-11" when we unrepped a Battle Group it was 72 hrs no sleep except on deck between ships. Carriers were the worst 8-10 hrs of JP5,bombs, rockets and geedunk.

Forum List

Back