US MilitaryBase closures...more outsourcing?

A

archangel

What I am wondering is why "The Donald" does not close the bases in Europe rather than in the US....kill their economy...not ours...geez! When and where will this outsourcing end?

link: www.defenselink.mil

archangel said:
What I am wondering is why "The Donald" does not close the bases in Europe rather than in the US....kill their economy...not ours...geez! When and where will this outsourcing end?

Do you know much about BRAC?

TONS of places, across the world are closing.

:)

And frankly, it's not the Military's job to ensure a particular locality's economy is healthy.

-=d=- said:
And frankly, it's not the Military's job to ensure a particular locality's economy is healthy.

Unless you're a congressman from that district! :D

But you are right... this BRAC round will save the Army some big $$$$$.

-=d=- said:
Do you know much about BRAC?

TONS of places, across the world are closing.

The bases where we were asked to leave such as the Phillipines...I was referring to closing all US bases in the European countries who gave us the thumb(down) when asked for support in the Middle East...We really do not need bases in Europe anymore...Beef up the military budget for US bases to include the funding saved on closing Europes bases...We need fast and mobile units in this day and age...could be accomplished from US bases...

Thats all I am saying...just one mans opinion!.... And yes I am familiar with BRAC!

I looked at states that are pertinent to me and I don't see much issue with this at all. Why have 4 reserve guard stations in dallas when one will do?

The estimated $50B in savings will go a long way towards modernization of weapons systems, training etc.

The DoD is setting a good example that the rest of the government should be following. Eliminate what no longer is effective or has outlived its purpose. I wish that other government agencies would do the same.

Military facilties all over the world ARE being down sized and reorganized and trust me----they're feeling it too!

Marx is right. What other government agency downsizes its resources? Usually you here about the "Use it or lose it" mentality with most agencies. They have to spend the money they have or risk losing it the following year. So ridiculous expenses are made that dont benefit anyone in order to keep receiving more money every year.

archangel said:

Frankly, forward bases in Europe are more valuable than a reserve base in Dallas, Timbucktoo or bum-f*ck, Nevada. The military's mission is to defend this nation, not provide economic subsidies to parts of the country. You are putting the self-interests of some, over the self-interests of the nation. Closing bases not only saves the government money, it provides for a leaner, more efficient military. Stop being selfish.

freeandfun1 said:
Frankly, forward bases in Europe are more valuable than a reserve base in Dallas, Timbucktoo or bum-f*ck, Nevada. The military's mission is to defend this nation, not provide economic subsidies to parts of the country. You are putting the self-interests of some, over the self-interests of the nation. Closing bases not only saves the government money, it provides for a leaner, more efficient military. Stop being selfish.

Selfish?Like I or you own the bases...I just gave a opinion...as if it will make a difference...lol...Also "Bum f*uck Nevada" Geez don't you live here too?I suggested closing bases in Europe vs the US because I served in Europe the US and S/East Asia...The Military of today is very mobile,small and concise...do we really need to bolster Europes economy vs ours...geez Free!

Hey why not close Area 51 while we are at it...it does not exist anyway...right?

archangel said:
Selfish?Like I or you own the bases...I just gave a opinion...as if it will make a difference...lol...Also "Bum f*uck Nevada" Geez don't you live here too?I suggested closing bases in Europe vs the US because I served in Europe the US and S/East Asia...The Military of today is very mobile,small and concise...do we really need to bolster Europes economy vs ours...geez Free!

Hey why not close Area 51 while we are at it...it does not exist anyway...right?
My point is that base closures should be based on what is best for the military, not any specific economic area. As you know, US bases in Germany possess state-of-the-art medical equipment which is needed by our soldiers serving in Afghanistan and Iraq. Hopefully, eventually, we will be able to provide for our soldiers with their areas of operations, but until then the bases in Europe provide what the military needs. That is most important. If the local German economy is able to benefit from our needing bases there, then I guess that goes along with the territory. Our concerns should not be about economics in this case. It should be what is best for the military. Period.

freeandfun1 said:
My point is that base closures should be based on what is best for the military, not any specific economic area. As you know, US bases in Germany possess state-of-the-art medical equipment which is needed by our soldiers serving in Afghanistan and Iraq. Hopefully, eventually, we will be able to provide for our soldiers with their areas of operations, but until then the bases in Europe provide what the military needs. That is most important. If the local German economy is able to benefit from our needing bases there, then I guess that goes along with the territory. Our concerns should not be about economics in this case. It should be what is best for the military. Period.

A good point...however it is flawed...We have Hospital ships in the US Navy that can perform all the tasks of the Hospital in Germany....By the way Germany just stabilizes then sends the injured back to the States....humm!

freeandfun1 said:

What would be best for the military at this point would be to close all those bases in Iraq and get out before we have to restore the draft in order to meet our force requirement.

mrsx said:
What would be best for the military at this point would be to close all those bases in Iraq and get out before we have to restore the draft in order to meet our force requirement.

The military is not a jobs program. Iraq will be an important theatre of operations for the foreseeable future. Hence, you're wrong.

rtwngAvngr said:
The military is not a jobs program. Iraq will be an important theatre of operations for the foreseeable future. Hence, you're wrong.

In one aspect the military certainly is a "jobs program," and one that is failing badly as not enough people want the job to keep the military staffed. The military says publicly that the Iraq theatre of operations is one of the major reasons job applications are down to dangerously low levels. Hence Schmence Ipso Facto and Q.E.D.

mrsx said:
In one aspect the military certainly is a "jobs program," and one that is failing badly as not enough people want the job to keep the military staffed. The military says publicly that the Iraq theatre of operations is one of the major reasons job applications are down to dangerously low levels. Hence Schmence Ipso Facto and Q.E.D.

It is a jobs program in no aspects. Employing people does not make an organization a jobs programs. It goes to intent, and purpose. You need purpose in your life, wade.

rtwngAvngr said:
It is a jobs program in no aspects. Employing people does not make an organization a jobs programs. It goes to intent, and purpose. You need purpose in your life, wade.
That's a good quibble but doesn't address the substance of the issue: the existence of bases in Iraq and the likelihood of getting sent there is causing a critical shortage of volunteers, damaging our military structure and our ability to project force in theaters far more central to our interests.

Thank you for your unsolicited career counseling. The Lord has called me to bring light into this particular corner of the Darkness. This is what I intend to do, although I could make more money and meet more interesting people if, like you, I sold out to the highest bidder.

mrsx said:

The military is a jobs program...one for people who are willing to stand up for their principles...one for folks who have the personal and moral conviction to fight for themselves and their fellow citizens. For the most part, the men and women in our military do not try to pretend to be something they are not, they do not try to present themselves as better than the people they serve and they do not slanderously attack those that disagree with them...the latter category they tend to hurt if they are not fellow citizens!

In all seriousness, I believe that the people of the United States does not deserve the military it has. People like you, MRSX or Wade or whoever you are the reason I believe that.

mrsx said:
That's a good quibble but doesn't address the substance of the issue: the existence of bases in Iraq and the likelihood of getting sent there is causing a critical shortage of volunteers, damaging our military structure and our ability to project force in theaters far more central to our interests.

Thank you for your unsolicited career counseling. The Lord has called me to bring light into this particular corner of the Darkness. This is what I intend to do, although I could make more money and meet more interesting people if, like you, I sold out to the highest bidder.
You are full of it. You have already sold out and are one nasty little worm.

archangel said:
A good point...however it is flawed...We have Hospital ships in the US Navy that can perform all the tasks of the Hospital in Germany....By the way Germany just stabilizes then sends the injured back to the States....humm!
Actually, only your knowledge is flawed. Soldiers are being stabilized for weeks at a time in Germany BEFORE returning to the USA for further treatments and rehab. Hospital ships are used for triage, not for long term rehabilitative stays and/or multiple surgeries.

Typical scenario:

Soldier is wounded on the battlefield.

1. Treated by company/platoon or squad medic basic lifesaving methods.
2. Taken to battalion aid station stabilization.
3. Airlifted to MASH unit emergency surgery.
4. Possibly airlifted to a Hospital ship for further surgeries.
5. Airlifted to Germany for follow-up surgeries, early rehab.
6. Airlifted to America for recovery, fitting of prosthetic devices, etc.

Many of the soldiers being injured in Iraq and Afghanistan are spending weeks upon weeks in Germany before being returned to the USA. Some are being treated in Germany and then returning to their units. The bases in Germany provide a valuable service whether YOU want to admit it or not.

New Topics

Forum List

Back