US Military Oath of Enlistment.................

The brain damaged fools are free to exercise their right to disrespect our flag and national anthem.

I am free to stop watching and supporting the NFL.

NFL 2017 = Oprah 2007

INVINCIBLE!!

:rofl:

You're the one trying to spin things. You are comparing the oath of enlistment to the pledge of allegiance.

Both are two totally separate things.

And yeah, heaven help the poor SOB who disrespects the flag while in the military, because they will be brought up on charges under the UCMJ, which is military law and only covers active duty and reserve military.

Thanks for making my point. If the oath of enlistment pledges a person to abide by the UCMJ (which it does) and the UCMJ requires that the flag be respected (as it does) then the oath of enlistment does in fact require respect to be shown to the flag.
"I pledge allegiance to the FLAG..." speaks for itself.

The UCMJ only covers active duty and reserve personnel. It has no jurisdiction over civilian personnel, so therefore, you cannot stop someone from expressing their opinion if they are a civilian (which the NFL players are). The UCMJ does not require anyone other than the military to respect the flag.

And, like I said, you show more disrespect to the military by trying to shut down a person's free speech, because the Constitution allows it, and the Constitution is what our military swears to and defends.

You keep preaching about a non-issue. Who exactly do you think is attempting to deny any of anybodies constitutional rights? Ain't happening as far as I can tell. But people also have every right to avoid spending money to see someone doing something they consider offensive. And money makes the world go 'round and the footballs fly. Or not.

Every last one of you idiots that is screaming that the players should be fired or worse. If the owners want to enforce it, fine, write it into their contracts. But, because it's not against their contracts, they should be allowed to take a knee if they want.

Thanks for finally agreeing with the obvious.
Sorry,, but yes there are.
In the NFL GUIDEBOOK, you will stand and face the flag with your right hand over your heart, and your helmet in your left hand.
Hell, they can fine you if your on the field and your socks are not pulled up.

The premise is a true red herring. The flag and the anthem are symbols of the constitutional government which the military swears to defend. The protesting is a symbol of disrespect. You can't claim one symbol is valid and the other isn't. While using their symbol to disrespect the other symbol they are disrespecting the country and those who chose to defend it. It is truly ironic that those people who fought to give them the freedom to protest are the very people they are disrespecting.
How is kneeling a form of disrespect.

Yeah, I know, some people might think this belongs in the Military forum, but the reason I put it in Current Events is because of the current NFL furor about players taking a knee.

Well, lots of people on this board, and on the television, have said that not saluting the flag during the anthem is disrespectful to the military, because they aren't saluting the flag during the anthem.

Hate to tell you people, but it's not. The military never swears an oath to the flag or the anthem. They swear an oath to the Constitution, and that oath to support and defend it also means that we support and defend the rights contained in it like free speech, even if we don't agree with the speech that is said.

Here, for all you people who have never seen the oath of enlistment........................

Be Ready To Raise Your Right Hand | Military.com

The Oath of Enlistment (for enlisted):

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

The Oath of Office (for officers):

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the _____ (Military Branch) of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

The only thing referred to in the oath, is the US Constitution, not the flag, not the anthem. And supporting free speech provided by that document isn't disrespectful to the military. Trying to stop others from exercising their right to free speech however, is.

What a crock of shit. If you were in the military, taxpayers wasted money on you, boy.

Go ahead.............point out where anything I said is wrong. And yeah, not only was I in the military, but I retired from it, so I'm still drawing a retirement check.

Really??
And what did you do twice a day? (Reveille and Retreat)
beats nothing but repeal.

Yeah, I know, some people might think this belongs in the Military forum, but the reason I put it in Current Events is because of the current NFL furor about players taking a knee.

Well, lots of people on this board, and on the television, have said that not saluting the flag during the anthem is disrespectful to the military, because they aren't saluting the flag during the anthem.

Hate to tell you people, but it's not. The military never swears an oath to the flag or the anthem. They swear an oath to the Constitution, and that oath to support and defend it also means that we support and defend the rights contained in it like free speech, even if we don't agree with the speech that is said.

Here, for all you people who have never seen the oath of enlistment........................

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the _____ (Military Branch) of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

The only thing referred to in the oath, is the US Constitution, not the flag, not the anthem. And supporting free speech provided by that document isn't disrespectful to the military. Trying to stop others from exercising their right to free speech however, is.

Bullshit. You are attempting to spin assholiness with word games. How about this oath which many more have sworn:

"I pledge allegiance to the FLAG of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands..."

And heaven help the poor SOB who disrespects the flag while in the military.

Bullshit. You are attempting to spin assholiness with word games. How about this oath which many more have sworn:

"I pledge allegiance to the FLAG of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands..."

You're the one trying to spin things. You are comparing the oath of enlistment to the pledge of allegiance.

And yeah, heaven help the poor SOB who disrespects the flag while in the military, because they will be brought up on charges under the UCMJ, which is military law and only covers active duty and reserve military.

Thanks for making my point. If the oath of enlistment pledges a person to abide by the UCMJ (which it does) and the UCMJ requires that the flag be respected (as it does) then the oath of enlistment does in fact require respect to be shown to the flag.
You are claiming kneeling is a form of disrespect. That is a fallacy of false Cause.

The UCMJ only covers active duty and reserve personnel. It has no jurisdiction over civilian personnel, so therefore, you cannot stop someone from expressing their opinion if they are a civilian (which the NFL players are). The UCMJ does not require anyone other than the military to respect the flag.

And, like I said, you show more disrespect to the military by trying to shut down a person's free speech, because the Constitution allows it, and the Constitution is what our military swears to and defends.

You keep preaching about a non-issue. Who exactly do you think is attempting to deny any of anybodies constitutional rights? Ain't happening as far as I can tell. But people also have every right to avoid spending money to see someone doing something they consider offensive. And money makes the world go 'round and the footballs fly. Or not.

Every last one of you idiots that is screaming that the players should be fired or worse. If the owners want to enforce it, fine, write it into their contracts. But, because it's not against their contracts, they should be allowed to take a knee if they want.
Just right wing monoculturalism. They probably envy North Korea.

Obviously because it is a deliberate and premeditated failure to show proper respect. How is flipping somebody off or referring to them as "boy" showing a lack of respect?

Obviously because it is a deliberate and premeditated failure to show proper respect. How is flipping somebody off or referring to them as "boy" showing a lack of respect?

Guess you missed the fact that it was a former Green Beret who was also a Seattle Seahawk who had seen Kaepernick sitting during the anthem. He then wrote Kaepernick a letter and told him that he understood his protest, but thought that taking a knee would be more respectful than simply sitting down.

Which would YOU have him do?

Kaepernick read the letter and agreed, which is why he now takes a knee during the anthem.

Like I said in the OP, when I enlisted, I swore an oath to the Constitution and all it stands for, not the flag, and not the anthem, but rather the Constitution. And, as stated before, if I am true to that oath, I will allow others the free speech afforded in that document, even if I don't agree with it.

Guess you missed the fact that it was a former Green Beret who was also a Seattle Seahawk who had seen Kaepernick sitting during the anthem. He then wrote Kaepernick a letter and told him that he understood his protest, but thought that taking a knee would be more respectful than simply sitting down.

Kaepernick read the letter and agreed, which is why he now takes a knee during the anthem.

Like I said in the OP, when I enlisted, I swore an oath to the Constitution and all it stands for, not the flag, and not the anthem, but rather the Constitution. And, as stated before, if I am true to that oath, I will allow others the free speech afforded in that document, even if I don't agree with it.

Great! Then you must be okay with those of us expressing our opinion of his actions.

No, he doesn't because no self-respecting team allows them in their stadium. I would say he sits on a folding chair in his Mom and Dad's basement, watching on an old CRT TV, but even they are pissed off by his actions.

What a crock of shit. If you were in the military, taxpayers wasted money on you, boy.
He was a paper pushing clerk in the Navy....like radar O'riley in MASH
A very important job right next to supply sgt..

Mess sgt, bro, mess sgt.

Do they even have those any more? I thought it would be the DFAC manager.

I don't think so. They don't even have KP anymore.
My favorite KP job was pots & pans.

He was a paper pushing clerk in the Navy....like radar O'riley in MASH
A very important job right next to supply sgt..

Mess sgt, bro, mess sgt.

Do they even have those any more? I thought it would be the DFAC manager.

I don't think so. They don't even have KP anymore.
My favorite KP job was pots & pans.

At least the Navy still sends sailors "mess cooking" from what I am told.

Thanks for the non-point. :cuckoo:

Thanks for the non-point. :cuckoo:

Unfortunately, the only point the titless WAVE has is on top of his head.

Only problem is, there are zero NFL rules, and zero contracts that require players to stand during the national anthem.
Here’s what the game operations manual says regarding the national anthem, according to an NFL spokesperson:

‘The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

‘During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.’

The operations manual isn't binding on the conduct of the players. If it were, they would have been fined a long time ago. Yeah, lots of others have brought up the GOM, but it's not binding, and offers no punishment for non compliance.

And, I've got a hunch that if a player was a first round draft pick, but refused an anthem clause in their contract, the team would cave to attract the talent.
So they're picking and choosing which rules to enforce. Just as when they come down hard on someone who wears pink cleats in honor of a family member suffering from breast cancer. As usual greed rules the day.

It's also why he isn't working any longer and has promised will stand for the anthem , if he's hired again. Too late.

Forum List

Back