US Military Oath of Enlistment.................

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ABikerSailor, Sep 29, 2017.

1. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,922
    Yeah, I know, some people might think this belongs in the Military forum, but the reason I put it in Current Events is because of the current NFL furor about players taking a knee.

Well, lots of people on this board, and on the television, have said that not saluting the flag during the anthem is disrespectful to the military, because they aren't saluting the flag during the anthem.

Hate to tell you people, but it's not. The military never swears an oath to the flag or the anthem. They swear an oath to the Constitution, and that oath to support and defend it also means that we support and defend the rights contained in it like free speech, even if we don't agree with the speech that is said.

Here, for all you people who have never seen the oath of enlistment........................

Be Ready To Raise Your Right Hand | Military.com

The Oath of Enlistment (for enlisted):

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

The Oath of Office (for officers):

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the _____ (Military Branch) of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

The only thing referred to in the oath, is the US Constitution, not the flag, not the anthem. And supporting free speech provided by that document isn't disrespectful to the military. Trying to stop others from exercising their right to free speech however, is.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Conservative65

Conservative65 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,766
    What a crock of shit. If you were in the military, taxpayers wasted money on you, boy.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ABikerSailor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,922
    Go ahead.............point out where anything I said is wrong. And yeah, not only was I in the military, but I retired from it, so I'm still drawing a retirement check.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,173
    So what? The NFL players aren't in the military. (But they are disrespectful to our flag and national anthem.)

Another red herring...

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. ABikerSailor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,922
    Reading comprehension dude............I said that there are a lot of people who are saying that the military is being disrespected by the players who take a knee. I'm saying that they aren't because free speech is allowed under the Constitution, and if my oath says that I need to support and defend the Constitution and bear true faith and allegiance to the same, I also will defend other people's right to free speech, even if I disagree with it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. RealDave

RealDave Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    So, like your hero El Dumpster, you like to trash veterans. Then you have the nerve to have a fit about someone kneeling during the National Anthem.

You people just plain suck dick.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,350

Supporting the flag, and showing respect to it, is to show support for the FALLEN soldiers, those who have given their lives throughout our long history. You are trying to conflate the two issues.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. SassyIrishLass

SassyIrishLass Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72,738
    No you idiot, we're saying the sacrifice made is being disrespected.

Stop building straw men and stop seeking attention

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,173
    Who cares what "a lot of people are saying?" Do YOU think it is disrespectful to take a knee (rather than stand) during the National Anthem? If not, why are NFL players now standing? Hard to keep you story straight, isn't it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NLT

NLT Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,008
    He was a paper pushing clerk in the Navy....like radar O'riley in MASH

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 3