US Military Oath of Enlistment.................

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Yeah, I know, some people might think this belongs in the Military forum, but the reason I put it in Current Events is because of the current NFL furor about players taking a knee.

Well, lots of people on this board, and on the television, have said that not saluting the flag during the anthem is disrespectful to the military, because they aren't saluting the flag during the anthem.

Hate to tell you people, but it's not. The military never swears an oath to the flag or the anthem. They swear an oath to the Constitution, and that oath to support and defend it also means that we support and defend the rights contained in it like free speech, even if we don't agree with the speech that is said.

Here, for all you people who have never seen the oath of enlistment........................

Be Ready To Raise Your Right Hand | Military.com

The Oath of Enlistment (for enlisted):

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

The Oath of Office (for officers):

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the _____ (Military Branch) of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

The only thing referred to in the oath, is the US Constitution, not the flag, not the anthem. And supporting free speech provided by that document isn't disrespectful to the military. Trying to stop others from exercising their right to free speech however, is.

Yeah, I know, some people might think this belongs in the Military forum, but the reason I put it in Current Events is because of the current NFL furor about players taking a knee.

Well, lots of people on this board, and on the television, have said that not saluting the flag during the anthem is disrespectful to the military, because they aren't saluting the flag during the anthem.

Hate to tell you people, but it's not. The military never swears an oath to the flag or the anthem. They swear an oath to the Constitution, and that oath to support and defend it also means that we support and defend the rights contained in it like free speech, even if we don't agree with the speech that is said.

Here, for all you people who have never seen the oath of enlistment........................

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the _____ (Military Branch) of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

The only thing referred to in the oath, is the US Constitution, not the flag, not the anthem. And supporting free speech provided by that document isn't disrespectful to the military. Trying to stop others from exercising their right to free speech however, is.

What a crock of shit. If you were in the military, taxpayers wasted money on you, boy.

What a crock of shit. If you were in the military, taxpayers wasted money on you, boy.

Go ahead.............point out where anything I said is wrong. And yeah, not only was I in the military, but I retired from it, so I'm still drawing a retirement check.

So what? The NFL players aren't in the military. (But they are disrespectful to our flag and national anthem.)

Another red herring...

So what? The NFL players aren't in the military. (But they are disrespectful to our flag and national anthem.)

Reading comprehension dude............I said that there are a lot of people who are saying that the military is being disrespected by the players who take a knee. I'm saying that they aren't because free speech is allowed under the Constitution, and if my oath says that I need to support and defend the Constitution and bear true faith and allegiance to the same, I also will defend other people's right to free speech, even if I disagree with it.

So, like your hero El Dumpster, you like to trash veterans. Then you have the nerve to have a fit about someone kneeling during the National Anthem.

You people just plain suck dick.

Supporting the flag, and showing respect to it, is to show support for the FALLEN soldiers, those who have given their lives throughout our long history. You are trying to conflate the two issues.

Reading comprehension dude............I said that there are a lot of people who are saying that the military is being disrespected by the players who take a knee. I'm saying that they aren't because free speech is allowed under the Constitution, and if my oath says that I need to support and defend the Constitution and bear true faith and allegiance to the same, I also will defend other people's right to free speech, even if I disagree with it.

No you idiot, we're saying the sacrifice made is being disrespected.

Stop building straw men and stop seeking attention

I said that there are a lot of people who are saying that the military is being disrespected by the players who take a knee. I'm saying that they aren't because free speech is allowed under the Constitution, and if my oath says that I need to support and defend the Constitution and bear true faith and allegiance to the same, I also will defend other people's right to free speech, even if I disagree with it.

Who cares what "a lot of people are saying?" Do YOU think it is disrespectful to take a knee (rather than stand) during the National Anthem? If not, why are NFL players now standing? Hard to keep you story straight, isn't it?

What I find disrespectful, another may not. So when a lot of people have said that not saluting the flag during the anthem is disrespectful to the military is valid, just as the opposite is true for others. It is an emotion, and that can't be directly quanitified to people in general.

The premise is a true red herring. The flag and the anthem are symbols of the constitutional government which the military swears to defend. The protesting is a symbol of disrespect. You can't claim one symbol is valid and the other isn't. While using their symbol to disrespect the other symbol they are disrespecting the country and those who chose to defend it. It is truly ironic that those people who fought to give them the freedom to protest are the very people they are disrespecting.

So respectful towards the military.

Go ahead.............point out where anything I said is wrong. And yeah, not only was I in the military, but I retired from it, so I'm still drawing a retirement check.

Really??
And what did you do twice a day? (Reveille and Retreat)

Took that oath.................has nothing to do with disrespecting our flag and or anthem.

When it is time for colors you are required to stand...........face the flag............salute...........cover your heart if in civilian attire..........

Should have Keel Hauled the OP ..........

Bullshit. You are attempting to spin assholiness with word games. How about this oath which many more have sworn:

"I pledge allegiance to the FLAG of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands..."

And heaven help the poor SOB who disrespects the flag while in the military.

Forum List

Back