US Military No Longer Has a Republican Majority

Discussion in 'Military' started by Hamiltonian, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Hamiltonian

Hamiltonian Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    "BURIED IN THE NEWS last week was one of the most potentially significant stories of recent years. The Military Times released its annual poll of active-duty service members, and the results showed something virtually unprecedented: a one-year decline of 10 percentage points in the number of military personnel identifying themselves as Republicans. In the 2004 poll, the percentage of military respondents who characterized themselves as Republicans stood at 60%. By the end of 2005, that had dropped to 56%. And by the end of 2006, the percentage of military Republicans plummeted to 46%.

The drop in Republican Party identification among active-duty personnel is a sharp reversal of a 30-year trend toward the "Republicanization" of the U.S. military, and it could mark a sea change in the nature of the military — and the nature of public debates about national security issues..."

You can find the rest of the article here:
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-brooks5jan05,0,3406790.column?coll=la-opinion-center

Although I do not support some of his ideas at the end of the article about a primarily Republican Military being dangerous, but I thought that it was interesting that there was this shift in the military. It makes me wonder how morale is doing.

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I think it would be better if they took off the political handcuffs. Asking people if they support Bushs' Iraq policy is such a bullshit question. It could mean half of them want him to tell the Dems to get screwed. It's wide open to misinterpetation.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. CockySOB

CockySOB VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +108
    A 3% shift on some 6,000 polled going to the Democrats; a 7% shift on the poll going Independent; and a -12% shift on the poll going Republican doesn't really scare me much. If we look at the first category (political ideology) we see a corresponding shift of 1% for liberal and very liberal categories; a 4% shift for moderates, and a -5% shift for conservatives. So as far as the poll goes, the results do seem somewhat consistent.

However, I would point out that the survey was somewhat simplistic, asking very simple questions in small number (18 questions). Had the survey been more detailed (and more specific on aspects of the war on terror), then perhaps the numbers would hold more significance for me.

As it is, the numbers indicate only a slight shift in political identity for those website subscribers polled, and that shift seems more towards self-identifying as moderate than as conservative.

What was interesting was that 62% identified themselves as having earned at least a baccalaureate degree, perhaps exposing the lie that our military is uneducated. Again, this presupposes that the subscribers polled are actual military personnel.

http://www.militarycity.com/polls/

4. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Here's my take on statistics, especially those gathered by opinion polls:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Remember they work for the President so there political views or values really don't matter because those rights were given up once they joined the service. And polls really don't matter anyway it is an excuse to point fingers or show negativity. So saying that is the main reason I got out was Clinton and his doing more with less campaign. Who I vote for really didn’t matter because we did what we were told to do anyways.

6. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    A few comments:

1. The officer corps has been more conservative/GOP than the enlisted ranks for a generation, at least. This poll didn't quote any of the officer/enlisted numbers. I'd be interested to see those to see if this is an across the board trend.

2. Fewer people in general are willing to be identified as GOP, so it doesn't surprise me that this trend is extending to the military.

7. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Looks like dillo's nailed it. The poll questions were apparently designed to solicit a desired outcome.

I've been polled before and I thought the same of the questions that they asked me.

8. Hamiltonian

Hamiltonian Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would agree in absolute terms about the demographics of the Army, that is you can't exactly conclude what percent of the Army is Dem or Rep. However, you can ask the same skewed question again later and get a difference in your responses and that, in fact, is informative as to whether the Army is becoming more Democratic or more Republican. What I thought was interesting about the article was not the absolute percent of Dems and Reps in the Army, but that there was this great change in responses and opinion over the past year.

9. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    On a more serious note, how many people that even take these polls, take them SERIOULY?

Might not the responses change with the weather?

Is honesty a given?

I thought, that most polls had a plus or minus of 3 to 4 points.

Polls, are like opinions, they are worth, EXACTLY what YOU paid for them, get it?

10. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    As has been pointed out, the poll is rather meaningless, as it could have been easliy skewed many ways. Based on the stated opinions of the author, the chances of that are likey near 100%.