US Middle schools are to promote "Tolerance"

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...12&u=/ap/20050123/ap_on_re_us/no_name_calling

Im so sick and tired of this. Will the left ever stop their social experiments in our schools and just think about teaching students to read, write, and do math and science? How about we focus on teaching students the subjects they are supposed to be learning in school and leave moral teachings to their parents?

Im all for tolerance, but there is a huge difference between tolerance and indoctrination.

A-freakin-mazing.
Johnny can't read, but he can damn sure be nice to the local homosexual teen? I cannot believe I helped fund this.

*EDIT* Whoops, misread it. Thought this was tax funded. Whew... Now would like to know just how they managed to get so many schools involved..... Still think it's wrong. Glad my kids are past middle school.

How are you so sure this is not at least partially tax dollar funded? The not-for-profit that sponsors it is partnered with huge list of not-for-profits, all of which probably receive some money from the government.

I cannot see any overtly private money involved.

Also, because it happens on school time, tax dollars are being spent no matter what.

Help me see what I am missing.

Thanks

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...12&u=/ap/20050123/ap_on_re_us/no_name_calling

Im so sick and tired of this. Will the left ever stop their social experiments in our schools and just think about teaching students to read, write, and do math and science? How about we focus on teaching students the subjects they are supposed to be learning in school and leave moral teachings to their parents?

Im all for tolerance, but there is a huge difference between tolerance and indoctrination.

How is "don't use words to put down others in school, one such word being 'fag'" indoctrination? Sounds a lot more like advocating tolerance to me.. if tolerance is 0 and indoctrination is 10, I'd give this one about a 2. Conservatives have become so sensitive to schools not referencing the existance of homosexuality that even harmless little initiatives like this get blasted. The conservative movement is becoming almost as touchy as the ACLU.

nakedemperor said:
How is "don't use words to put down others in school, one such word being 'fag'" indoctrination? Sounds a lot more like advocating tolerance to me.. if tolerance is 0 and indoctrination is 10, I'd give this one about a 2. Conservatives have become so sensitive to schools not referencing the existance of homosexuality that even harmless little initiatives like this get blasted. The conservative movement is becoming almost as touchy as the ACLU.

NE, Hi. It is the job of schools to educate. It isn't thier job to teach tolerance, values, morals, religion, ethics, etc. That falls to the parents and possibly the churches. Teachers and School officials should stay out of the morals debate by simply being a good example while preparing lil johnny to be a productive citizen.

pegwinn said:
NE, Hi. It is the job of schools to educate. It isn't thier job to teach tolerance, values, morals, religion, ethics, etc. That falls to the parents and possibly the churches. Teachers and School officials should stay out of the morals debate by simply being a good example while preparing lil johnny to be a productive citizen.

Pegwinn, howdy sir! I completely disagree with your assertion-- schools are a huge part of a child's social, moral, and ethical development. They 8 or 9 of their waking hours there each day, and is the aparatus by which they become fully-functional human beings. The parents can show you how to ride a bike, but they can't ride the bike for you. A school has to discipline, correct, and teach social behaviors. You can't have one without the others. While the parents should carry the heavier load in terms of teaching right and wrong, etc., to completely deprive the schools of their prerogative to teach more than just facts and dates to developing pysches is to do the children a grave injustice. Methinks.

I'm tired of seeing all this pro-gay CRAP, yes that’s what it is CRAP!.. While I have nothing against gays, and whatever they do is their business. I agree with most of you here on this Gay awareness day is Bullshit, it seems more like gay promotion day. Young minds are very impressionable, this is corrupting young minds. Also to think this will make it ok to come out and be gay, I think not children are mean, I was mean I won't lie. This would simply give me a chuckle and then make me want to call other kids that aren't. So what happens to the kids that aren't gay and are the picked on ones they now become gay and et even more picked on. I just don't see any good coming out of something like this. Tolerance starts at home not at the school, peer pressure to make fun of people is what they should be taking care of. What about the geeks and less fortunate children that have been getting made fun of for decades where's the tolerance class for that? I'm personally waiting for a strait day.

kids who are gay, or maybe just different, need to be allowed to grow up in a safe environment just like everybody else

While name-calling is hardly "unsafe", the writer has a point.. They should be allowed to go grow up in a safe environment just like everyone else. They should not be getting the crap beat out of them during lunch just because of who/what they are... You don't have to like what they are, but you don't have to harm them either.. I think "No name-calling" for a day might be a good place to start.

Yet I don't see why this only happens when gays are affected. Maybe you could anwser why hasn't action been taken after Columbine? The reason among many was they were constantly bullied even allowed one kid to live for not picking on them. Why wasn't this "Tolerance Day" promoted then to stop all bulling? Maybe even before that, could of saved those 9 lives. My B-Day was on april 20, the same day as that I felt terrible, I couldn't even celebrate after hearing that. Anyways why now and why so obvisly on Gays? Like I said why not for the poor kids? Or the kids who aren't "cool"? Or for the "Ugly Girls"? Or "geeks"? or the "rockers"? My point is this is simply a way to expoilt childern for a political reason, sad to say the least.

Shattered said:
kids who are gay, or maybe just different, need to be allowed to grow up in a safe environment just like everybody else

While name-calling is hardly "unsafe", the writer has a point.. They should be allowed to go grow up in a safe environment just like everyone else. They should not be getting the crap beat out of them during lunch just because of who/what they are... You don't have to like what they are, but you don't have to harm them either.. I think "No name-calling" for a day might be a good place to start.

Sing it preacher!

Er... poorly-timed euphamism..

Perhaps Wolfie could benefit from some GSLN counseling =)

wolvie20m said:
Yet I don't see why this only happens when gays are affected. Maybe you could anwser why hasn't action been taken after Columbine? The reason among many was they were constantly bullied even allowed one kid to live for not picking on them. Why wasn't this "Tolerance Day" promoted then to stop all bulling? Maybe even before that, could of saved those 9 lives. My B-Day was on april 20, the same day as that I felt terrible, I couldn't even celebrate after hearing that. Anyways why now and why so obvisly on Gays? Like I said why not for the poor kids? Or the kids who aren't "cool"? Or for the "Ugly Girls"? Or "geeks"? or the "rockers"? My point is this is simply a way to expoilt childern for a political reason, sad to say the least.

Perhaps (and quite simply) it's because "gays" are the most "common" targets. What's the first thing one guy calls another that does something even remotely sensitive, regardless of the fact that both guys are straight? "Fag!"

Columbine? Hell..they blamed *that* entire thing on Marilyn Manson, so someone already took the fall for that.

nakedemperor said:
Sing it preacher!

Er... poorly-timed euphamism..

Perhaps Wolfie could benefit from some GSLN counseling =)
It's WolVie....with a V, as in wolverine, if you can't read something so it's no wonder how your so blind to the harsh truth of the REAL world. Also this isn't the first time you've mistaken my SN so you must make allot of mistakes.

Shattered said:
Perhaps (and quite simply) it's because "gays" are the most "common" targets. What's the first thing one guy calls another that does something even remotely sensitive, regardless of the fact that both guys are straight? "Fag!"

Columbine? Hell..they blamed *that* entire thing on Marilyn Manson, so someone already took the fall for that.

They also use countless other names and words, to single out fag is bias towards one word.

Thats just typical, and sad. Lets blame the parents, lets blame the media, and entertainment. Whatever happened to blaming the kids who did it!! I blame them! The reason they killed was for personal reasons, they are even to be said this is for picking on us, in a more vulgar term. So where was this then?

wolvie20m said:

Because gays are smarter and better prepared than all the other groups. That is why! Take away their well organised briefcases and two household incomes with no children to take care of and they will crumble like communism before the Gipper, "TEAR DOWN THIS WALL". They just learn the system and take advantage. How will you ever stop them?

elephant said:
Because gays are smarter and better prepared than all the other groups. That is why! Take away their well organised briefcases and two household incomes with no children to take care of and they will crumble like communism before the Gipper, "TEAR DOWN THIS WALL". They just learn the system and take advantage. How will you ever stop them?
By advocating against "Gay Rights" why should they get extra rights if their just people like us? Don't get me wrong one thing they should get is civil unions NOT marriage. I just don't see them as deserving special treatment for going against nature. I'm tired of it like I said it's CRAP. They get should get the same rights no more no less.

nakedemperor said:
Pegwinn, howdy sir! I completely disagree with your assertion-- schools are a huge part of a child's social, moral, and ethical development. They 8 or 9 of their waking hours there each day, and is the aparatus by which they become fully-functional human beings. The parents can show you how to ride a bike, but they can't ride the bike for you. A school has to discipline, correct, and teach social behaviors. You can't have one without the others. While the parents should carry the heavier load in terms of teaching right and wrong, etc., to completely deprive the schools of their prerogative to teach more than just facts and dates to developing pysches is to do the children a grave injustice. Methinks.

Reasonable people may disagree with each other and not resort to violence. Therefore, I will let you live..... this time...... heh heh heh ...... :beer:

The point of school is to teach and educate. The farther afield we go from the core mission of simple education, the worse the education gets without an appropriate benefit.

If the schools set the rules, enforce the rules in a fair, firm, and consistant manner, and each adult sets a proper example of decorum and maturity, the child will actually pick up the basics of polite behavior.

It is to the school to reinforce the parents in the arena of value systems, moral compass, and simple right and wrong.

It is to the parents to reinforce the schools in the arena of basic education which will in turn lead to productive citizens.

A question sir. How old are you, and how many kids have you put thru the public education system? Also, have you ever been an instructor or teacher? Perhaps this will help me to understand why it appears you are confused over what should be a simple issue.

nakedemperor said:

If the schools should teach social, moral, and ethical development, then the schools should teach social, moral and ethical development based upon what the majority of parents believe, not what some minority believes. This, of course, would NOT include homosexual indoctrination since most parents do not believe in it socially, morally, or ethically. Do you have a problem with that?

What I'd like to know is where these tolerant people were when their frickin' brats were beating me up because I was under 5'6". Where was all their tolerance then?

People have been beaten up and called names in school for decades, but nobody cared until it was about gay people, and then they *only* care about the gay people. Well, I was in a misfit group in high school and gays can just learn to defend themselves like the rest of us. Either that, or schools need to get serious on bullies.

Hobbit said:
What I'd like to know is where these tolerant people were when their frickin' brats were beating me up because I was under 5'6". Where was all their tolerance then?

People have been beaten up and called names in school for decades, but nobody cared until it was about gay people, and then they *only* care about the gay people. Well, I was in a misfit group in high school and gays can just learn to defend themselves like the rest of us. Either that, or schools need to get serious on bullies.

It's not really about helping the children Hobbit. It's really not even about helping the gays. The ones pushing this malarky are more interested in the destruction of social structure in the use of gays for their own totalitarian ends.

pegwinn said:
Reasonable people may disagree with each other and not resort to violence. Therefore, I will let you live..... this time...... heh heh heh ...... :beer:

The point of school is to teach and educate. The farther afield we go from the core mission of simple education, the worse the education gets without an appropriate benefit.

If the schools set the rules, enforce the rules in a fair, firm, and consistant manner, and each adult sets a proper example of decorum and maturity, the child will actually pick up the basics of polite behavior.

It is to the school to reinforce the parents in the arena of value systems, moral compass, and simple right and wrong.

It is to the parents to reinforce the schools in the arena of basic education which will in turn lead to productive citizens.

A question sir. How old are you, and how many kids have you put thru the public education system? Also, have you ever been an instructor or teacher? Perhaps this will help me to understand why it appears you are confused over what should be a simple issue.

Pegwinn, I agree with everything you wrote, and I'm your first two posts seem somewhat incompatible.. I don't think "it isn't the responsibility of the school to teach values, tolerance morals" is compatible with "it is to the school to reinforce the parents in the arena of value systems, moral compass, and simple right and wrong". The difference is "teach" and "reinforce", but I see little difference in the sentiment-- does the school have to wait for morals/values/tolerance to be taught by the parents to reinforce it? Or can the schools introduce these values on its own accord, seeing as though they'd simply echo the parents anyway? If you think I'm confused I'd like to address it, but I'm not sure really what you mean. Thanks =)

I'm 21, I have no children of my own but have assistant-taught 2 semesters of high school English in the NYC public school system. I don't believe I'm "confused" on the issue-- I simply believe that "name-calling" is a prevalent factor in the abuse children put each other through; dealing with this abuse and preventing it are, at root, what you seem to believe to be issue that should not be dealt with at school. I believe that simply punishing a student for calling someone a fag isn't satisfactory. When children take the time to learn about minorities, most of the time the exposure to information will reduce their prejudices on its own.

In terms of the article in the OP, well, this isn't just about gays. Like the article said, its about name-calling in general, including the word "fag". Its true that GLSTN took the initiative, but its the conservative watch dogs that made this into a inordinantly gay issue. The initiative was about tolerance, including tolerating gays. There's no reason, even if you don't like the gay lifestyle, to not be tolerant of gays, and this promotes that in a very subtle, non-obstrusive way, but indirectly making it a small part of an anti-name-calling initiative. If conservatives can't handle at least that much, it seems impossible to even MENTION gays in school, let alone teaching tolerance of gays. This is a buzz-word article that is being blown way out of proportion. Like wolvie said, the article promotes not calling ANYONE names, including all the nerds, geeks, etc.

P.S. Wolvie, I know what your screen name is, and I just wrote "wolfie" to press your buttons because you've corrected like 32498230943 people. I didn't mean to piss you off as much as I did. I find it somewhat ironic that you'd choose to insult me by saying I make "allot of mistakes". Anyway, if terms of being "blind to the harsh truth of the real world", I can't say that I'm enlightened, but I have a pretty strong sense that my eyes are open as far if not farther than yours are. I don't exactly relish being condescended to by someone younger than me (you're probably 16 or 17, yeah?), so I'd appreciate if you'd lay off me a touch.

nakedemperor said:
Pegwinn, I agree with everything you wrote, and I'm your first two posts seem somewhat incompatible.. I don't think "it isn't the responsibility of the school to teach values, tolerance morals" is compatible with "it is to the school to reinforce the parents in the arena of value systems, moral compass, and simple right and wrong". The difference is "teach" and "reinforce", but I see little difference in the sentiment-- does the school have to wait for morals/values/tolerance to be taught by the parents to reinforce it? Or can the schools introduce these values on its own accord, seeing as though they'd simply echo the parents anyway? If you think I'm confused I'd like to address it, but I'm not sure really what you mean. Thanks =)

I have another question, what if my morals and values do not match yours? Would the school need a list of each students morals and values as taught by their parents in order to reinforce the correct ones? I wouldn't want my children to be hassled for being "idol worshipers" (I have actually been called this before) because they are Buddhist (BTW - this shows a fundamental lack of knowledge of Buddhism to even think that we worship Buddha)

NE said:
I'm 21, I have no children of my own but have assistant-taught 2 semesters of high school English in the NYC public school system. I don't believe I'm "confused" on the issue-- I simply believe that "name-calling" is a prevalent factor in the abuse children put each other through; dealing with this abuse and preventing it are, at root, what you seem to believe to be issue that should not be dealt with at school. I believe that simply punishing a student for calling someone a fag isn't satisfactory. When children take the time to learn about minorities, most of the time the exposure to information will reduce their prejudices on its own.

While I was raised as a Christian and taught that this was a sin, I was never taught that it was right to run and point fingers calling names and making their lives miserable. Teaching people not to call them names is definitely within the bounds of our culture and within the bounds of almost all religious teaching as well. I cannot see what harm this is doing at all. Basically reiterating rules and cultural values isn't harming the children.

NE said:
In terms of the article in the OP, well, this isn't just about gays. Like the article said, its about name-calling in general, including the word "fag". Its true that GLSTN took the initiative, but its the conservative watch dogs that made this into a inordinantly gay issue. The initiative was about tolerance, including tolerating gays. There's no reason, even if you don't like the gay lifestyle, to not be tolerant of gays, and this promotes that in a very subtle, non-obstrusive way, but indirectly making it a small part of an anti-name-calling initiative. If conservatives can't handle at least that much, it seems impossible to even MENTION gays in school, let alone teaching tolerance of gays. This is a buzz-word article that is being blown way out of proportion. Like wolvie said, the article promotes not calling ANYONE names, including all the nerds, geeks, etc.

How many times have we told our children not to call somebody "fat" or "bald" it may hurt their feelings. This is along those same lines.

NE said:
P.S. Wolvie, I know what your screen name is, and I just wrote "wolfie" to press your buttons because you've corrected like 32498230943 people. I didn't mean to piss you off as much as I did. I find it somewhat ironic that you'd choose to insult me by saying I make "allot of mistakes". Anyway, if terms of being "blind to the harsh truth of the real world", I can't say that I'm enlightened, but I have a pretty strong sense that my eyes are open as far if not farther than yours are. I don't exactly relish being condescended to by someone younger than me (you're probably 16 or 17, yeah?), so I'd appreciate if you'd lay off me a touch.

I must say that for a liberal you are one of the more sane ones that I have had the good fortune of debating or sometimes, like in this case, to agree with.

Forum List

Back