US Middle schools are to promote "Tolerance"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Avatar4321, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,163
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...12&u=/ap/20050123/ap_on_re_us/no_name_calling

Im so sick and tired of this. Will the left ever stop their social experiments in our schools and just think about teaching students to read, write, and do math and science? How about we focus on teaching students the subjects they are supposed to be learning in school and leave moral teachings to their parents?

Im all for tolerance, but there is a huge difference between tolerance and indoctrination.

2. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    A-freakin-mazing.
    Johnny can't read, but he can damn sure be nice to the local homosexual teen? I cannot believe I helped fund this.

*EDIT* Whoops, misread it. Thought this was tax funded. Whew... Now would like to know just how they managed to get so many schools involved..... Still think it's wrong. Glad my kids are past middle school.

3. elephant

elephant Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18
    How are you so sure this is not at least partially tax dollar funded? The not-for-profit that sponsors it is partnered with huge list of not-for-profits, all of which probably receive some money from the government.

I cannot see any overtly private money involved.

Also, because it happens on school time, tax dollars are being spent no matter what.

Help me see what I am missing.

Thanks

4. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    How is "don't use words to put down others in school, one such word being 'fag'" indoctrination? Sounds a lot more like advocating tolerance to me.. if tolerance is 0 and indoctrination is 10, I'd give this one about a 2. Conservatives have become so sensitive to schools not referencing the existance of homosexuality that even harmless little initiatives like this get blasted. The conservative movement is becoming almost as touchy as the ACLU.

5. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    NE, Hi. It is the job of schools to educate. It isn't thier job to teach tolerance, values, morals, religion, ethics, etc. That falls to the parents and possibly the churches. Teachers and School officials should stay out of the morals debate by simply being a good example while preparing lil johnny to be a productive citizen.

6. nakedemperor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Pegwinn, howdy sir! I completely disagree with your assertion-- schools are a huge part of a child's social, moral, and ethical development. They 8 or 9 of their waking hours there each day, and is the aparatus by which they become fully-functional human beings. The parents can show you how to ride a bike, but they can't ride the bike for you. A school has to discipline, correct, and teach social behaviors. You can't have one without the others. While the parents should carry the heavier load in terms of teaching right and wrong, etc., to completely deprive the schools of their prerogative to teach more than just facts and dates to developing pysches is to do the children a grave injustice. Methinks.

7. wolvie20m

wolvie20m Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm tired of seeing all this pro-gay CRAP, yes thatÂ’s what it is CRAP!.. While I have nothing against gays, and whatever they do is their business. I agree with most of you here on this Gay awareness day is Bullshit, it seems more like gay promotion day. Young minds are very impressionable, this is corrupting young minds. Also to think this will make it ok to come out and be gay, I think not children are mean, I was mean I won't lie. This would simply give me a chuckle and then make me want to call other kids that aren't. So what happens to the kids that aren't gay and are the picked on ones they now become gay and et even more picked on. I just don't see any good coming out of something like this. Tolerance starts at home not at the school, peer pressure to make fun of people is what they should be taking care of. What about the geeks and less fortunate children that have been getting made fun of for decades where's the tolerance class for that? I'm personally waiting for a strait day.

8. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    kids who are gay, or maybe just different, need to be allowed to grow up in a safe environment just like everybody else

While name-calling is hardly "unsafe", the writer has a point.. They should be allowed to go grow up in a safe environment just like everyone else. They should not be getting the crap beat out of them during lunch just because of who/what they are... You don't have to like what they are, but you don't have to harm them either.. I think "No name-calling" for a day might be a good place to start.

9. wolvie20m

wolvie20m Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yet I don't see why this only happens when gays are affected. Maybe you could anwser why hasn't action been taken after Columbine? The reason among many was they were constantly bullied even allowed one kid to live for not picking on them. Why wasn't this "Tolerance Day" promoted then to stop all bulling? Maybe even before that, could of saved those 9 lives. My B-Day was on april 20, the same day as that I felt terrible, I couldn't even celebrate after hearing that. Anyways why now and why so obvisly on Gays? Like I said why not for the poor kids? Or the kids who aren't "cool"? Or for the "Ugly Girls"? Or "geeks"? or the "rockers"? My point is this is simply a way to expoilt childern for a political reason, sad to say the least.

10. nakedemperor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Sing it preacher!

Er... poorly-timed euphamism..

Perhaps Wolfie could benefit from some GSLN counseling =)