US Manufacturing Extinct? Not Even Close

US has shed manufacturing jobs pretty much every month now.

The trade deficit looks pretty bad when it comes to manufacturing (overall it looks bad too).

Explain please?

Maybe some day it will come back, if china stops subsidizing the dollar. Most probably don't want that day ever to come though (most americans).

China does manipulate its currency to keep the yuan low and the dollar high but I wouldn't call that a subsidy. The Chinese economy will blow up the question is when not if. What happens then is anybody's guess but the automation of American and everyone else's manufacturing jobs will continue as it has since the 1700s. With better software and hardware service job automation will also increase. Less leverage and more diversification is the route to personal success.

Whenever I start out on a new venture, company, I purchase probably 90 percent from vendors here. I would rather give my money to fellow American producers. I could have saved quite a bit by ordering cardboard boxes from China on my last venture but I opted to pay a little more to keep the money here. I'm just kind of old fashioned that way. I prefer developing good relationships with vendors and dealing more on a face to face whenever possible. I still like the handshake as my word. Probably sounds stupid but it works for me.

Whenever I start out on a new venture, company, I purchase probably 90 percent from vendors here. I would rather give my money to fellow American producers. I could have saved quite a bit by ordering cardboard boxes from China on my last venture but I opted to pay a little more to keep the money here. I'm just kind of old fashioned that way. I prefer developing good relationships with vendors and dealing more on a face to face whenever possible. I still like the handshake as my word. Probably sounds stupid but it works for me.
According to game theory and law it should also result in higher quality because you know where the culprit lives and can find him when you get screwed.

GHook. Do me a favor and drive through these cities:

St. Louis
East St. Louis
Newark
Gary
Camden
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Detroit
Baltimore
Oakland

Then tell me with a straight face that manufacturing is still an omnipresent part of American life. Why are American cities crumbling? Why are there no more industries in these cities? Where did they go? Why aren't any industries or businesses moving into these empty buildings? Why is poverty and unemployment so rampant in these parts of the country?

Last edited:

St. Louis
East St. Louis
Newark
Gary
Camden
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Detroit
Baltimore
Oakland

Then tell me with a straight face that manufacturing is still an omnipresent part of American life. Why are American cities crumbling? Why are there no more industries in these cities? Where did they go? Why aren't any industries or businesses moving into these empty buildings? Why is poverty and unemployment so rampant in these parts of the country?
Have you looked at the taxes in the cities on your list vs. the US norms and besides higher productivity translates into lower employment rates as with US agriculture since roughly 1900.

FREE TRADE as practiced was disasterous for the American people generally, and served the interests of well heel capitalists splendidly.

St. Louis
East St. Louis
Newark
Gary
Camden
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Detroit
Baltimore
Oakland

Read the article! No one including me isn't saying that manufacturing has taken a hit! The world went into a recession! America went into the Great Recession!

I don't even need to travel that far to see the manufacturing sector getting hit hard. I can just go to Elgin, IL to see it!

Read the article! No one including me isn't saying that manufacturing has taken a hit! The world went into a recession! America went into the Great Recession!

I don't even need to travel that far to see the manufacturing sector getting hit hard. I can just go to Elgin, IL to see it!
Next stop ? Greatest Depression.

Manufacturing industry standing and the amount of jobs in the manufacturing are two different things. Anyone who thinks that we're not losing tons of manufacturing jobs hasn't been to Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and the overall rust belt area recently. The jobs that we're losing aren't coming back.

Example: as technologies advance companies are implementing newer technologies that replace jobs, because in the long run they're much, much, much cheaper than paying a full time employee. Now I'm not saying they don't have the right to do that-of course they do. But the fact is those jobs aren't coming back, so you have more and more people needing to find a job, and in this economy that's a recipe for disaster.

This report doesn't pass the smell test. It is wishful thinking at best.
I am doubting that the report is differentiating between assembly and manufacturing.
U.S. manufacturing jobs have declined by 40% since 1980, part of this is due to automation..absolutely automation has withered the number of laborers factories need to produce the same product. But not 40%.
Consider this, since 1980 359 U.S. companies closed at least one factory in the United Stated and moved to a foreign country....359.

Case closed.

Forum List

Back