US made goods a joke?

Working Man

Aug 22, 2004
last weekend I went to a local motorcycle shop to look for a new helmet. I wanted to buy one made in America. ( but I doubt I will ever find one.) In the search at the store, some of the younger riders got wind that I was looking for accessories made in America. A twenty something guy looks at me an said. " I wouldn't buy an American made helmet even if they were for sale here. I would only buy a helmet made in Japan, or over there (referring to Asia I assume), since the kids there go to school at least six days a week. Also, I know American kids and I wouldn't trust anything they made."((pp but close to verbatim))

OK folks, how does one respond to this?

Well, the fact is, the plastics used in making the helmet and the SW used in designing the helmet are probably developed here. For many years now America has been weak in the actual production of products such as these, but many American products are used all during the process of getting the products to market. That includes the CAD SW used in the design, the advanced plastics used in the manufacture and the marketing used in selling the helmets. So in many ways, the products have quite a bit of US content in them. We just can't claim "we made it".

Working Man said:
last weekend I went to a local motorcycle shop to look for a new helmet. I wanted to buy one made in America. ( but I doubt I will ever find one.) In the search at the store, some of the younger riders got wind that I was looking for accessories made in America. A twenty something guy looks at me an said. " I wouldn't buy an American made helmet even if they were for sale here. I would only buy a helmet made in Japan, or over there (referring to Asia I assume), since the kids there go to school at least six days a week. Also, I know American kids and I wouldn't trust anything they made."((pp but close to verbatim))

OK folks, how does one respond to this?
You can't, it's true.

Working Man said:
I wanted to buy one made in America.

Why?

When I spend my money I want to spend it on something based on what it is and it's quality, not based on where it was made.

Buying something solely because it was made in this country is no different than lower college acceptance standards for minorities: though your intentions may be noble, when it really comes down to it, you aren't helping anyone.

Zhukov said:
Why?

When I spend my money I want to spend it on something based on what it is and it's quality, not based on where it was made.

Buying something solely because it was made in this country is no different than lower college acceptance standards for minorities: though your intentions may be noble, when it really comes down to it, you aren't helping anyone.

Bingo. Can't put it any better than this.

gop_jeff said:
Bingo. Can't put it any better than this.

Neither can I. I mean i understand the desire to want to keep people employed and buy things home grown. But I don't see how its beneficial in the long run. If they arent creating something thats worth buying why should they profit off it?

If other companies can do something better than us then whats wrong with that. We should either pick up our level or just do something else. They are people too. They have a right to work as well and if its more beneficial to the consumers then why shouldnt they have a right to earn a living too? If we want to compete it shouldnt be by excluding other products, but it should be because we can create products and services that are better than others can. We can do that by working hard, studying hard, getting an education and encouraging our children to get the best education they can as well.

I'd ask him where he worked and tell him that I intended to apply his philosophy to whatever product or service he represented.

But I make a conscious effort to buy American made products. I disagree with the assertion that "Buying something solely because it was made in this country is no different than lower college acceptance standards for minorities: though your intentions may be noble, when it really comes down to it, you aren't helping anyone."

First, I would not purchase anything SOLELY because it was made in the USA. But if I can find a product that has equal or better quality and the price is close to that of an import, then I'll buy the American product every time. I do this not only because it helps keep a fellow American employed, but because in the long run, keeping fellow Americans employed benefits everyone in this country. A fact that we all should keep in mind when we shop.

No, I won't go on another Wal Mart rant. I'm sure you'll be relieved to hear that.

Merlin1047 said:
Bat barf.

My post was directed at the "?" how do you respond in the first post.
I still say you can't. Cuz it's true.
For the most part American products have come to what the "made in Japan" products were when we were kids...A JOKE.

Mr. P said:
My post was directed at the "?" how do you respond in the first post.
I still say you can't. Cuz it's true.
For the most part American products have come to what the "made in Japan" products were when we were kids...A JOKE.

You guys keep a very narrow mind. I guess if it is a consumer good, yes, "Made in America" doesn't mean much. But when it comes to products that are integral to the manufacture and development of consumer goods, still nobody can beat the USA. Consumer goods are not all that make up an economy. There are a lot of products that "Made in America" still means a lot and I am not just talking about military stuff. For examples, telephone switching systems, wireless infrastructure equipment (base stations), medical devices, etc., etc., etc., etc. I could go on and on.

freeandfun1 said:
You guys keep a very narrow mind. I guess if it is a consumer good, yes, "Made in America" doesn't mean much. But when it comes to products that are integral to the manufacture and development of consumer goods, still nobody can beat the USA. Consumer goods are not all that make up an economy. There are a lot of products that "Made in America" still means a lot and I am not just talking about military stuff. For examples, telephone switching systems, wireless infrastructure equipment (base stations), medical devices, etc., etc., etc., etc. I could go on and on.
That's true..But I think the main point was consumer goods.

Mr. P said:
That's true..But I think the main point was consumer goods.

I don't think that, as a nation, we want to be the "King" of manufacturing consumer goods. We need to continue focus on developing higher technology products and services. We also need to change how we teach in school and teach the kids not to be looking for a GM job when they get out of high school. Precision machining is still a great business in the USA so the high school kids that go into trade schools do well, but kids shouldn't think that if they don't have any kind of education or trade training that they should be able to go find a factory where they can stand hours on end soldering wires to PC boards or stuffing Teddy Bears with cotton.

-=d=- said:
I'm American Made. :)

A perfect example.. You keep complaining of being broken..

I hope you have a good refund policy in place. :tng:

Well maybe another way of looking at this is I buy a foreign car, but the parts need to be shipped in and America gets a cut of that, labor, and salespeople also make a living from my transaction, I buy insurance from an American company for said car, and since I get it washed every week Im helping local business. Maybe a little stretching here but still valid.

Merlin1047 said:
I disagree with the assertion that "Buying something solely because it was made in this country is no different than lower college acceptance standards for minorities: though your intentions may be noble, when it really comes down to it, you aren't helping anyone."

First, I would not purchase anything SOLELY because it was made in the USA. But if I can find a product that has equal or better quality and the price is close to that of an import, then I'll buy the American product every time.

I don't thing we disagree at all. I put the caveat 'solely' in my statement, as the original poster indicated he went to buy an American product. He wasn't interested in comparing products made in other countries. He had a specific item in mind, and his overiding concern about it was where it was made.

You yourself state you would not purchase something 'solely' because of where it was made, the U.S.A. in this instance.

All things being equal, I'd buy American too.

So I see no disagreement.

But I won't purchase an obviously inferior product solely because it was made here, and I don't think you would either, because doing so lowers the standards of our manufacturers.

It sends the message that they don't need to compete to succeed, because I will give them my money regardless.

This happened before in our country. A certain industry enjoyed an almost complete monopoly over foreign made products simply because Americans were too proud to buy foreign.

The outcome was one day people came to their senses, started checking their wallets, and realized Japanese cars were vastly superior to ours, in both quality and price, and it nearly destroyed the American automotive industry.

First, I would not purchase anything SOLELY because it was made in the USA. But if I can find a product that has equal or better quality and the price is close to that of an import, then I'll buy the American product every time. I do this not only because it helps keep a fellow American employed, but because in the long run, keeping fellow Americans employed benefits everyone in this country. A fact that we all should keep in mind when we shop.

No, I won't go on another Wal Mart rant. I'm sure you'll be relieved to hear that.[/QUOTE]

I Agree... Harley Davidson sells Chinese made boots, jackets, vests, etc..

But, for the same, or less, ,much less, you can buy "Made in America"
Kerr Leather, Gary Dwyer, Fox Creeek, to name a few. Each of these, might, also have an imported line. They do have quite a bit of American made stuff sewn right up in Kerry's back yard.. But, the issue is that I can get a quality American made product, at competitive prices, help my fellow citizen, and still be able to look myself in the mirror at night...

Where are the f'n taxes suppose to come from to pay for the public schools, etc.???? From China? Pakistan??? They don't care if American kids can read or write, so long as they are getting theirs,, who gives a crap about ours??

OK, Back to US made stuff. . Biker Boots.... Harley Davidson's?? not in this lifetime for me.. I got Chippewa, American Made,, shipped to the house for $120. HD's go for $119 for the harness type at most shops, they are made in China.. Chippewa, US MADE,,, can be had for $115-155.

If I can buy American, I will. So long as the product is as good, or better than what is made overseas..
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Read on for more of my ranting++++
I may pay more for the product, but I will go the extra if the product is good.. That is why I DIDN'T end up with a NEW Harley.. I got a used one. It still cost me more than a left over Honda VTX1800, or perhaps more than most of the offerings from Yamaha, or Suzuki... I couldn't justify giving a company I don't agree with 100% ,,,$22000 plus for two wheels and a tainted mystique.

Now,, here is another example. One of the reasons buying American can be a good thing. Go buy a used Honda, or Suzuki..... Get one made in the mid to late 80's,,, where do you get parts and service?? If you are lucky, a factory authorized dealer, MAY work on your scoot.. Probably will not because the parts are not there to fix it.... Case in point.. 1987-1989 Goldwings... hard to get them fixed, or find some new parts for them...

On the flip side,, Harley Davidson 2005 parts catalog.. how many of the accessories are speced out for a 1996 Electra Glide??? Kind of a shock to see that you need to call the dealer for major accessories since the 96 isn't listed for Oil coolers under the Touring section, and some other parts too.... They are getting like the Japs... This makes me nervous... : :splat:

Now, if I go to the dealer, more than likely I can get any part I need for a 96 FLHT without trouble.. There are more Harley dealers, and parts floating around then can be counted. So,, if I was going to get another scoot, which I did, I bought a Harley. :)

New Topics

Forum List

Back