US Labor Dept. Demands Refund For Cost of Labor Mural

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
US Labor Dept. Steps Into Mural Dispute - Portland News Story - WMTW Portland

WASHINGTON -- Gov. Paul LePage's decision to not display a mural depicting the state's labor history, the U.S. Department of Labor wants a refund of any federal money that paid for it.
A senior Labor Department official said LePage's decision to remove the art work from state offices does not comply with terms of a federal grant that paid for most of the mural's $60,000 cost. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to freely discuss the matter.
The demand for reimbursement was made Monday in a letter to state officials.
The Republican governor had the mural removed from state Labor Department offices last month after deciding that it was biased toward organized labor at the expense of his pro-business agenda.

Perhaps the could display it at the sewer treatment plant that they will name after B Hussain Obama in the near future.
Then everyone can be happy or they can swap it out for the 1/2 million $ DOD frog statue.
Government art is worse then corporate art.

Since the labor department wanted to waste money on that to begin with, perhaps we should look at drastically cutting the labor department.

Just saying.

The Republican governor had the mural removed from state Labor Department offices last month after deciding that it was biased toward organized labor at the expense of his pro-business agenda.

I don't understand the dispute. Mural is removed from State Labor Department, not from Union Labor Department.

Ah well, what else can one expect from small minds and mean spirits?

I actually expect much more from you. You should give yourself more credit.

He was talking about you.

Actually i think they should force him to put it back up. Yeah so horrible we look at the worker's history. I mean considering all of us work under the rules they fought for us. But lets hate it and go back to a nickel a day and 12 hour work days and no weekends.

YAY!!!!! REPUBLICANS RULE.

Ah well, what else can one expect from small minds and mean spirits?

I actually expect much more from you. You should give yourself more credit.

He was talking about you.

Actually i think they should force him to put it back up. Yeah so horrible we look at the worker's history. I mean considering all of us work under the rules they fought for us. But lets hate it and go back to a nickel a day and 12 hour work days and no weekends.

YAY!!!!! REPUBLICANS RULE.

I think you meant to say: Communist rule!

If you look at the murals it looks more like soviet worker on them then American. Oops, there are no hammer and sickle on them, but it's never too late...

Ame®icano;3501642 said:

I don't understand the dispute. Mural is removed from State Labor Department, not from Union Labor Department.

The issue is that the state used federal funds to commission/purchase the mural. So, the fed is saying, if you won't display the painting that you spent our money on, then either put it back up or give us back the money.

Ame®icano;3501642 said:

The issue is that the state used federal funds to commission/purchase the mural. So, the fed is saying, if you won't display the painting that you spent our money on, then either put it back up or give us back the money.

How on earth does crap like that cost 60Kand who the hell decided to spend tax payer money for an obviously partisan "work of Art" ...that should be the issue.

Ame®icano;3501642 said:

How on earth does crap like that cost 60Kand who the hell decided to spend tax payer money for an obviously partisan "work of Art" ...that should be the issue.

Well, sorry, your partisan view is not the issue. Labor is an important part of US and Maine history.

Well, sorry, your partisan view is not the issue. Labor is an important part of US and Maine history.

Well sport since its paid for by tax payers and is located in a facility paid for by tax payers then someone needs to be held accountable for spending 60k for an otherwise leftist "Work of Art" from the looks of it the only thing missing is a hammer and sickle and fields of wheat . "work of Art" ......Indeed

Ame®icano;3501642 said:

Just give them the Mural and they can put it in the White House or where ever.

LABOR MURAL: A $60,000 TAXPAYER-FUNDED INSULT TO WORKING PEOPLE

LABOR MURAL: A $60,000 TAXPAYER-FUNDED INSULT TO WORKING PEOPLE

The removal of a 60-foot mural from the Maine Department of Labor has sparked a huge controversy. While Democrats and reporters focus on anti-organized labor intent, the bigger story is that this mural was a self-honoring monument selected by Baldacci Labor Commissioner Laura Fortman.

Fortman spent $60,000 of taxpayer funds to commission a huge mural for the waiting room of her department. That's $60,000 of taxpayer funds that won't be used to deal with pension shortfalls, or health care for state workers. To burn through $60,000 on a piece of art for a waiting room of a state department is outrageous.

Who the hell spends $60,000 of someone else's money - in the middle of a recession - on a piece of artwork that honors the person spending that money? The arrogance of the woman is un-fucking-believable.

Ame®icano;3501642 said:

send them the mural (collect) and tell them to stfu

New Topics

Forum List

Back