US kills 46 insurgents

:) How many of them were really insurgents and not innocent civilians? This is an unusual occupation, transparent to media, with cheering Iraqi bystanders near smoldering ambushed vehicles... It looks ugly anyway. Look at those walls erected on sides of roads. Occupation seems ugly to them, especially because we are of different religion. It canot last long. Idealist Americans would get disappointed about this deal in Iraq. You cannot impose freedom, it should be earned by fighting. Give them a chance to fight for their freedom.

Cultural note, apparently when you shoot at an Iraqis house, he may shoot back. When you shoot at an apartment building, it stands to reason that you can produce doznes of dead Iraqi insurgents (freshly minted, since prior to the bulletts whizzing through his kitchen, the guy was just a local baker).
Additionaly, if I might suggest throwing 122mm tank shells around in a crowded city is a good way to spark an Iraqi intifahda.

we should all be aware if these kinds of reports, and their contradicting reports from 'the other side' start coming in more frequently. It could all be very reminiscent of 'body counts' from vietnam formulated to garner support.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
we should all be aware if these kinds of reports, and their contradicting reports from 'the other side' start coming in more frequently. It could all be very reminiscent of 'body counts' from vietnam formulated to garner support.

And yet good news conveniently gets dismissed by those wishing to repeat the same old crap over and over. It's mainly the bad being reported and the good being neglected. Very reminiscent of an upcoming election and biased media. Funny how when an article is posted here relating to the postive aspects of rebuilding Iraq, the liberals always try to put a negative spin on it.

I wasn't being negative Jim, by all means, if 54 'insurgents' are no longer around to cause trouble for a new iraqi government, then great but this report is already being contradicted by others. What i'm saying is if these kinds of reports, and their contradictions, start coming in at a regular rate then maybe we should start to question the veracity of the claim.

I wasn't being negative Jim, by all means, if 54 'insurgents' are no longer around to cause trouble for a new iraqi government, then great but this report is already being contradicted by others. What i'm saying is if these kinds of reports, and their contradictions, start coming in at a regular rate then maybe we should start to question the veracity of the claim.

These are military personnel reporting back within hours of skirmishes. I'll allow them a few reporting errors when they are being shot at from various directions. Also, let's remember that plenty of the insurgents (if not the majority) are dressed as every day citizens. If the terrorists are using this likeness to their advantage and are working from within citizens, and the citizens still support them, then I have little sympathy for those that get caught in the middle.

These are military personnel reporting back within hours of skirmishes. I'll allow them a few reporting errors when they are being shot at from various directions. Also, let's remember that plenty of the insurgents (if not the majority) are dressed as every day citizens. If the terrorists are using this likeness to their advantage and are working from within citizens, and the citizens still support them, then I have little sympathy for those that get caught in the middle.

Thats all fine and well, it still doesn't address my point and statement. If we start getting regular reports of huge body counts that are immediately contradicted by other sources, we should be wary of the truth to the claim.

Thats all fine and well, it still doesn't address my point and statement. If we start getting regular reports of huge body counts that are immediately contradicted by other sources, we should be wary of the truth to the claim.

Huh? I directly addressed your point! There's no dispute to the number of casualties, only the number of which were insurgents. And I think I addressed why they may or may not get the exact figures of who is who.

Huh? I directly addressed your point!

No, my original point was to make us aware of the tactics that the defense department used in vietnam and to not succumb to them again. Inflating body counts to sway public opinion around to thinking that the US forces were really accomplishing something over there. I'm sure that you are aware of those 'embellishments' for how could we possibly find 150 NVA in a shelled out village that had died the year before.

Lets not repeat history by blindly believing one sided reports. Objectivity is the name of the game.

No, my original point was to make us aware of the tactics that the defense department used in vietnam and to not succumb to them again. Inflating body counts to sway public opinion around to thinking that the US forces were really accomplishing something over there. I'm sure that you are aware of those 'embellishments' for how could we possibly find 150 NVA in a shelled out village that had died the year before.

Lets not repeat history by blindly believing one sided reports. Objectivity is the name of the game.

So you are laying a shadow of doubt to what the military states and counting contradictory reports which came from the rebels themselves?

I don't care if it was 2, 10 or 54 - I'm just glad they're dead.

Jimmy, I'm saying if these start to come in at regular intervals. I'm not discounting ONE report. I'm saying that if we start getting one or two of these a week like clockwork, be suspect.

I do believe that is why there has been the tendency NOT to put out 'body counts', they did learn the lesson of Vietnam.

I agree Kathianne, I would also hope that we as a nation are not as naive as we were in the 60s and early 70s. sounds like someone is yelling FIRE and there isnt even smoke yet.

sounds like someone is yelling FIRE and there isnt even smoke yet.

Did I say they were lying? Did I say they were already inflating body counts? NO. I said beware of the possibility in the future. It has happened in the past and despite the hope that we, as a nation are no longer naive, it can happen in the future.

Go down to the World Trade Center, there was smoke and fire and death. If that's not convienent, go to Pentagon or Pennsylvania. You could also take a look at the USS Cole, but it's been fixed and is now on tour, so you'll have to wait awhile.

Forum List

Back