US joins Baghdad battle

My biggest fear is that we're going to repeat the mistakes we learned so bitterly some 35 years ago. In Vietnam, we officially ended our so-called combat operations in January 1973. Approximately 500 more US personnel were killed between the official end of combat operations in 1973 and the fall of Saigon in 1975.

What made the difference is that with a reduced combat presence, the ability to project immediate power into the region was greatly reduced to non-existent. During the height of the war, if a ground commander called for air support or artillery support, there was steel raining on the target within seconds. This was what scared the shit out of the North Vietnamese: the US ability to put steel on target accurately and immediately.

Now, with Obama, the Retard-in-Chief, the bad guys KNOW that we have no combat assets in country. This gives them a decisive tactical advantage. With the announced intent to NOT conduct combat patrols, this leaves US forces in the vulnerable position of defensive operations. The success to any military operation is the ability to exercise the initiative and that means offensive operations: find the enemy and kill him in his sleep.

If we're going to pull troops out, then pull all of them out. Otherwise, give them a fighting chance. That means infantrymen, artillerymen, tankers and snake-eaters.

Hope to hell I'm wrong. But we can't ignore Vietnam as a template for how wars in the 21st century would be fought.

My biggest fear is that we're going to repeat the mistakes we learned so bitterly some 35 years ago. In Vietnam, we officially ended our so-called combat operations in January 1973. Approximately 500 more US personnel were killed between the official end of combat operations in 1973 and the fall of Saigon in 1975.

What made the difference is that with a reduced combat presence, the ability to project immediate power into the region was greatly reduced to non-existent. During the height of the war, if a ground commander called for air support or artillery support, there was steel raining on the target within seconds. This was what scared the shit out of the North Vietnamese: the US ability to put steel on target accurately and immediately.

Now, with Obama, the Retard-in-Chief, the bad guys KNOW that we have no combat assets in country. This gives them a decisive tactical advantage. With the announced intent to NOT conduct combat patrols, this leaves US forces in the vulnerable position of defensive operations. The success to any military operation is the ability to exercise the initiative and that means offensive operations: find the enemy and kill him in his sleep.

If we're going to pull troops out, then pull all of them out. Otherwise, give them a fighting chance. That means infantrymen, artillerymen, tankers and snake-eaters.

Hope to hell I'm wrong. But we can't ignore Vietnam as a template for how wars in the 21st century would be fought.

You sir have just hit the flaw in what has just happen. obama has done this close to election time seekingpolitical points. The blood that will be shed will be on obamas hands. All for political points.

Forum List

Back