US Into Syria? 11/25/05

GunnyL said:
Let's try waking up and smelling the coffee. No one has said anything about regime change in Syria. This is a military engagement in which Syria would be just another one of those Middle Eastern Nations that finds out they might be the big boys on their block, but it's a small block.

If Syria is allowing terrorists to run across their border and hide, I have absolutely NO problem with US forces running them to ground WHEREVER they stop.

If Syria is allowing terrorists to run across their border and hide, I have absolutely NO problem with US forces running them to ground WHEREVER they stop

Does this only count for "American-targetig-Terrorists"?

---------

I read the Debka news and i know that this source is Mossad-near. The last days there were reports, that on syrian boarders 3 Syrians and 12 US-oldiers died. The source was CNN-Turk. From there some arab newspapers and for exapmle austrian "Der Standard" and some german newspapers adopted this news.
After this reporting the stock exchange in Turkey sank by 700 points.
Syrian press officer from the foreign ministry denied this happening, and all mentioned newspapers from mentioned countries adopted this news.
In Turkey there has now been started investigation against CNN-Turk as some circles think this news was faked to buy cheap stock shares.

canavar said:

---------

I read the Debka news and i know that this source is Mossad-near. The last days there were reports, that on syrian boarders 3 Syrians and 12 US-oldiers died. The source was CNN-Turk. From there some arab newspapers and for exapmle austrian "Der Standard" and some german newspapers adopted this news.
Syrian press officer from the foreign ministry denied this happening, and all mentioned newspapers from mentioned countries adopted this news.
In Turkey there has now been started investigation against CNN-Turk as some circles think this news was faked to buy cheap stock shares.

Nope, for those that are coming from Syria into Iraq and those that are firing from Syria. Also those that cause terror in Iraq, then try to get back to Syria.

http://hammorabi.blogspot.com/2005/11/syrian-border-there-are-news-of-at.html

Syrian border

There are news of at least 12 American soldiers have been killed and wounded near the Al-Bo-Kamal area when they followed insurgents escaped to Syria. Fighting then broke down with the Syrians who had at least 3 casualties.

A buffer zone as deep as 30-50 km is needed inside the Syrian border along the Iraqi borders to allow the Iraqi-American forces to penetrate to kill or arrest the insurgent terrorists. Syria has no choice but either to end fully its support for terrorists, that is not going to happen at all or to allow such buffer otherwise it will face serious consequences.

A UN resolution regarding the support of terrorists by the Syrian may now become essential due to their failure to end that support, however for the multinational and Iraqi troops they need the zone to protect themselves and the civilians.

posted by hammorabi @ 11/25/2005 03:49:00 AM

canavar said:

---------

It isn't the US targetting terrorists if they are engaged by the Syrian Army. Obviously it then becomes targetting a military force that has engaged them in combat.

The target is terrorists. If another group gets caught in the middle attempting to defend/protect the terrorists, then too bad.

Whether or not it is true, neither the US nor Syria have ANYTHING to gain by admitting to it.

Bullypulpit said:
I don't think Dubbyuh and his bloody-handed cabal will get much traction, or support for the invasion of Syria. With his popularity at historic lows, the loss of public support for the war in Iraq, and Congressional Republicans feeling free to thumb their collective noses at the White House on a number of issues, the presence of US troops in Syria will be a short-lived phenomena. Particularly with the '06 mid-term elections looming large in the consciousness of the RNC.

This is pretty sound analysis, but public support, and really, support from the broader GOP/conservative movement has never been a huge priority for those really running the show: the neocons. They careen forward with their mission to remake the Middle East as Greater Israel regardless of public opinion polls or manipulable GOP congressmen from Kansas. The fact that W. is spent goods is a minor obstacle. Recall that he's in his last term. If you don't care what happens to the axe ultimately, you might was well keep swinging with it until the head falls off the handle. This is what W. is to the neocons. Because they'll never be "unpopular" or the target of derision: how many even recognize the names Perle, Feith, Wolfowitz, etc.? Still, I agree there won't be "regime change" in Syria.

Forum List

Back