US immigrants mobilizing for major 'action'

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
I guess the writer just happen to forget to insert ILLEGAL in his title. This could get ugly.

Events are planned Monday in 90 cities to show immigrant strength - Latino and other.

By Daniel B. Wood | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

LOS ANGELES – In Los Angeles, Eun Sook Lee will march on behalf of Korean illegal immigrants, at least 50,000, living in southern California. On Boston Common, Punam Rogers will join other Indian émigrés, as well as business clients and students from China, Germany, and Britain. In Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Ivalier Duvra will take to the streets to draw attention to Haitian newcomers who he says need refugee status.
Coming on the heels of demonstrations in several larger cities, a National Day of Action on Immigrant Rights Monday is expected to involve people in some 90 US municipalities, well above organizers' goal of 10. Described as the biggest social movement of Hispanics since the United Farm Workers of Cesar Chavez, the plans for protests, vigils, and marches include a less-visible tier of people stirred to action over American immigration policy: non-Latinos.
"If you watch TV and read the papers, you would think this [immigration reform] is primarily an issue only for Latinos or only illegals or only poor immigrants. [Monday] will show differently," predicts Abdul Malik Mujahid, a Chicago-based Islamic cleric who says 7,000 Muslims will march there Monday to protest the "climate of fear" since 9/11. "Latino organizers have done a big favor not just to themselves but to all other immigrants, as well as America itself, by standing up and saying this country's immigration system is broken and needs to be fixed. Now the rest of us must join in."

The national day of action seems to have expanded exponentially with the organizing power of the Internet. Besides demonstrations, speeches, processions, and assorted performances (from drumming to skits), groups are planning work-walkouts, product boycotts, fasting, and other measures.

Smaller cities where events are planned include Bakersfield, Calif.; Fort Myers, Fla.; Hays, Kan.; and Oxford, Ohio, and include groups as diverse as Ukrainians, Palestinians, Irish, labor, and antiwar coalitions.

"No one could have anticipated this kind of involvement even as little as six months ago," says organizer Rich Stolz of Fair Immigration Reform Movement, one of the organizing coalitions for National Action Day. "Once it got announced, it spread nationally, regionally, locally through groups which have been building relationships for years. They know this is the moment to do something unprecedented."

Organizers originally designed a broad platform they hoped would attract a wide array of immigrants - Pacific Islanders, Southeast Asians, Europeans, Africans, and Pakistanis. The specific objection is legislation, approved by the US House in December, that makes it a felony (rather than a civil offense) to be in the US illegally. But organizers are also asking for something: worker protections, civil rights measures, family reunification, and immigration reform that defines "a path to citizenship for current undocumented and future immigrants to the US."
"This is America's civil rights battle for the 21st century," says Chung-Wha Hong of the New York Immigration Coalition, an umbrella organization for about 150 groups in New York State that work with immigrants and refugees. Immigrants are anticipating a duel between the House and the Senate over immigration-reform language, she says, but Monday's actions are really about "whether or not America will continue to be what it has always been - a nation of immigrants.

Anger has been building among immigrants for decades, Ms. Hong says, but it has intensified over the past decade, as immigrants felt targeted by welfare reform, what they see as a civil-rights rollback, and, most recently, anti- terror laws. Post-9/11 crackdowns, legislation denying social services to illegals in California, and Minutemen border operations have roused immigrants, legal and not. "Immigrants have been feeling like targets for all that is wrong and want to stand up and show how they contribute to the diversity and richness of America," she says.

L.A.'s Ms. Lee says her major concern is law-enforcement sweeps through Korea-town, which have created a climate of fear in the immigrant community. Boston's Ms. Rogers says her priority is visa procedures for foreigners who come to America to study, which she says need to encourage the world's best and brightest to stay in America. Mr. Duvra says US refugee policy needs an overhaul.

While organizers say a big turnout and a broad diversity at Monday's events will send a signal to politicians in Washington wrangling over immigration reform, others see possible down sides.

"Each time immigrants have these giant rallies, the more they infuriate the rest of the American population with the idea that those who break the law get to march and somehow be rewarded," says Ira Mehlman, L.A. spokesman for Federation for American Immigration Reform. "We have seen in France what happens when you try to bring in millions of people ... in many cases who are hostile. We saw there that it didn't work, and it won't work here."

Others note that it is not likely so many participating groups will be able to agree later, when it's time to iron out the details in whatever legislation emerges. The Iraq antiwar movement and the antiglobalization movement are cases in point, they say.

"There are a lot of fringe groups tagging along on this to get exposure and legitimacy and to network," says Britt Minshall, a 16-year career law enforcer and now a pastor at United Church of Christ. "Once the main goal is accomplished, they begin to fight and hurt the cause they apparently came together for."

Activists themselves have some concerns. "I worry a bit over whether these events will be able to remain be peaceful," says Rogers. And demonstrators who carry the flags of their home countries may leave a bad taste in the mouths of Americans, she says. Such was the case in recent demonstrations in Washington.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0410/p01s01-ussc.html

And they're immobilizing downtown Atlanta traffic. They need to be carted off if for nothing more than obstructing a public road.

I think EVERY group of criminal should protest until they are allowed to continue breaking the law. Imagine in San Fran - tens of thousands of homosexuals protesting for the right to molest children?

theHawk said:
Who is paying for the city police ect to control all these protests?

GWB is staging the riots to shift the focus off the War in Iraq. Also, his big-business connections are paying the bills for the cities to pay for the added enforcement.

The Race Protests are a BUSINESS decision.

;)

dmp said:
GWB is staging the riots to shift the focus off the War in Iraq. Also, his big-business connections are paying the bills for the cities to pay for the added enforcement.

The Race Protests are a BUSINESS decision.

;)

I agree! And I know. I have been there. Let me tell you about all the marches I have participated in. And you will believe me, even though the timetable of these marches, when compared to my others posts about my personal experiences, make no sense at all.

I believed that my participation in marches and protests was important. To hell with all the critisisms, I believed and still believe my particiation there was imortant.

I marched in Grenada, Panama and the '91 Gulf War. All of these in consideration that my contribution was important. I've seen more people marching, violence, death, injury and fear than any of you can comprehend even on an elementary level. But, I've always been an optimist. I've had the ideals and objectives, as I believe them to be, of Amercanism in the forefront of my personal cosiderations.

This WAR ON IMMIGRATION is certainly more immoral than anything I have ever experienced. A credible excuse for this WAR ON IMMIGRATION, I suspect, will not be forthcoming.

VIVA LA RAZA!!

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
It'd sure be cool if the Goverment could use these protests as an "Illegal herding time" - while they're all there in one spot, round-em up and send their asses back to Mexico...

Can't ask for a better opportunity than what's going on right now!

-Cp said:
It'd sure be cool if the Goverment could use these protests as an "Illegal herding time" - while they're all there in one spot, round-em up and send their asses back to Mexico...

Won't work. All Mexico has to do is refuse them, and we're sunk, and we don't have a place to keep them here.

First, close off the border. Mobilize the National Guard and build desert training facilities for the military near the border. These combined efforts could slow the flood of illegals to a trickle.

Next, cut off all their social services, like GA is trying to do. Require proof of citizenship or legal residency before collecting welfare, food stamps, attending public schools, etc. The only thing they get without proof of legality is urgent, emercency medical care, and then they have to show it to keep from being deported once they're healthy.

If we do these two things, the illegal problem will deport itself.

Hobbit said:
Won't work. All Mexico has to do is refuse them, and we're sunk, and we don't have a place to keep them here.

First, close off the border. Mobilize the National Guard and build desert training facilities for the military near the border. These combined efforts could slow the flood of illegals to a trickle.

Next, cut off all their social services, like GA is trying to do. Require proof of citizenship or legal residency before collecting welfare, food stamps, attending public schools, etc. The only thing they get without proof of legality is urgent, emercency medical care, and then they have to show it to keep from being deported once they're healthy.

If we do these two things, the illegal problem will deport itself.

I'm not saying to let Mexico know about it! Duh! Take em' back the same way they got here... across the same pourus boarder - drop em' off in the middle of the night at the boarder and make em' go back to Mexico...

-Cp said:
I'm not saying to let Mexico know about it! Duh! Take em' back the same way they got here... across the same pourus boarder - drop em' off in the middle of the night at the boarder and make em' go back to Mexico...

Yeah, but we could save so much money by just kicking them off the government's tits and make them go look for their own damn milk, 'cause they ain't gettin' any here.

Here's what's KILLING ME!!

If those protestors are Illegal and NOT US Citizens then they HAVE NO RIGHTS UNDER OUR CONSTITUTION for "freedom of Assembly"!

Arrggg:

http://voanews.com/english/2006-04-10-voa27.cfm
Immigration Rallies Spread Across US
By VOA News
10 April 2006

Demonstrators march from Chinatown to a rally at Love Park in Philadelphia, Monday
Demonstrators march from Chinatown to a rally at Love Park in Philadelphia, Monday

Demonstrations have spread across the United States as tens of thousands of people demand greater rights for more than 11 million illegal immigrants.

Organizers say the so-called National Day of Action for Immigration Justice will include marches in more than 100 cities Monday in a movement that is being compared to the civil rights marches of black Americans in the 1960's.

One of the first marches was held in the southern city of Atlanta where at least 30,000 people formed a sea of white T-shirts as they walked the three kilometer route.

People marched in the small farming community of Garden City, Kansas, and events are planned in the nation's largest cities, like Los Angeles and Chicago, as well as those in between -- like Phoenix, Arizona.

Thousands are rallying in New York City, and a protest is taking place here in Washington at the foot of the Washington monument.

The marches are the latest in a series of protests against a House of Representatives proposal that would classify illegal immigrants as felons. The bill also would tighten border security and impose heavy fines on companies that employ illegal immigrants.

President Bush
President Bush has welcomed Monday's protests. He says it is a sign that people feel strongly about the issue.

Mr. Bush told an audience of students in Washington that protests are a key way for people in a free society to express themselves.

He also called for compassion in the debate over proposed immigration reforms. He said people need to understand the United States is a nation of immigrants.

Critics say the House proposal is unfairly aimed at mostly Hispanic immigrants who enter the country to find jobs. They are calling on lawmakers to enact reforms that will give immigrants a path to citizenship and will ensure their civil rights.

Last week, the Senate failed to agree on a bill that would have created new citizenship measures for immigrants.

Republican Senator Arlen Specter said Sunday he expects legislators will hold new talks on the issue when they return in two weeks.

nosarcasm said:
According to that logic once you leave your own country you have no rights at all.

:bsflag:

that country affords to aliens. If they grant you no rights then you have none...
We have granted too many rights to foreigners, especially those here AGAINST THE LAW!!

no I argue that laws should apply for everyone.

The government should just enforce them.

There a 12 million illegals here. Kick em out.

Make it a felony to employ an illegal immigrant.

Have a farmworker program so they come over to work here for 6 month a year max.

Thats how it works in Germany. Keeps the Polish in Poland ..... for now.

-Cp said:

Hey, President Bush! What do you call it when 20 million foreigners descend on your country, march in the streets waving their national flags, and make demands?

A) A demonstration of "strong feelings"

B) An "immigrants' rights" rally

C) A total invasion of your country that demands military action in response instead of PC pandering to Hispanics

Well, Mr. President?

nosarcasm said:
According to that logic once you leave your own country you have no rights at all.

:bsflag:

maybe your logic takes you there but the fact is

you are here illegally.....you should be arrested and deported

further if i travel to indonesia my american rights do not apply.....

Forum List

Back