US History: Your Views

lms1220

Rookie
Sep 12, 2009
I need three or more people to answer these five questions. Optimally, at least one person is between the age of 25 and 35, 35 and 55, and 55+. Please indicate your age group in the reply.

1. In your opinion, what are the five most important events in American History and why do you think so? (Important as having the greatest effect on America in the long run)

2. Which five presidents have been our greatest and why do you think so?

3. In your own lifetime what have been the five most memorable events( excluding births and other personal happenings)?

4. What do you consider to be the five most important issues that America will face in the next 20 years?

5. Would you consider yourself a liberal or a conservative and why?

Please try to use as much detail as possible in explaining the 'why' part of the questions.

Thank you!

I need three or more people to answer these five questions. Optimally, at least one person is between the age of 25 and 35, 35 and 55, and 55+. Please indicate your age group in the reply.

1. In your opinion, what are the five most important events in American History and why do you think so? (Important as having the greatest effect on America in the long run)

3. In your own lifetime what have been the five most memorable events( excluding births and other personal happenings)?

4. What do you consider to be the five most important issues that America will face in the next 20 years?

Please try to use as much detail as possible in explaining the 'why' part of the questions.

Thank you!

damn man, ive had easier tests for college finals.

Thank you!

You should have just gone to class.

Thank you!

1. boston tea party, lincoln's assasination, pearl harbor, 9/11, and Lewis and Clarks expedition
2.thomas jefferson, licoln, roosevelt, clinton, and nixon could have been
3.getting arrested twice, the birth of my child, 9/11, columbine, and I can't think of any other maybe the war in irag
4. I can tell the future
5.liberal

25-35

The signing of the Declaration of Independence: Birth of the Nation and an acceptance by the founding members of our nation on certain inalienable rights.

The ratification of the Constitution: Represented a rejection of the view of the US as an alliance of states, formed a legitimate central government and leads into the Bill of Rights enumerating with the force of law rights every American has.

The Civil War: Settles once and for all the issue of supremecy between State governments and the Federal government and results in the abolition of slavery.

The Great Depression: Origin of most of the social programs that remain in the USA today and leads into World War II and America's true entry into the world stage.

The Civil Rights Movement: finishes the work of the Civil War, the Declaration of Independence, and the Ratification of the Constitution in ensuring that every man, woman, and child born in the United States has inalienable rights given by the creator.

Washington: The first President, and the origin of many of the unwritten rules of the Presidency.
Abraham Lincoln: It seems even silly to say why.
FDR: Kept America on track during the Depression and WWII, and helped prevent the rise of facism at home.
Lyndon Johnson: Despite his Vietnam legacy, LBJ helped empower the civil rights movement.
George H.W. Bush: Oversaw the final collapses of the Eastern Block, helped prevent a complete collapse of much the world into chaos, and was wise enough to build a multinational coalition to answer the threat of Saddam Hussein... and intelligent enough that he did not lose the resulting peace.

The Challenger disaster.
9/11.
The First Gulf War
The fall of the Berlin Wall
The Oklahoma City Bombing.

The collapse of credit lines.
The economic rise of China
Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons
Potential environmental tragedies
A nuclear terrorist attack.

Liberal on some issue, Conservative on others.

Thank you!

i need three or more people to answer these five questions. Optimally, at least one person is between the age of 25 and 35, 35 and 55, and 55+. Please indicate your age group in the reply.

1. In your opinion, what are the five most important events in american history and why do you think so? (important as having the greatest effect on america in the long run)

1. War for independance that started this country
2. Civil war...that divided and brought this country back together
3. Ww2...the start of the industrial age and it broke the us out of isolationism
4. Waco/ruby ridge...showed the governments willingness to kill
5. Mexican immigration...they are willing to change the fabric of our lives

1. Truman...he dropped the bomb that ended ww2 and showed us the horrors of war
2. Nixon...showed that this country could survive a crooked president
3. Lbj for ramming civil rights down the throats of congress and americans
4. T roosevelt for being a conservationisnt
5. Franklin roosevelt..the only president elected for more than 2 terms.

1. Death of jfk
2. Challenger explodes
3. Waco
4. Ok city
5. 9/11

4. What do you consider to be the five most important issues that america will face in the next 20 years?

1. Debt
2. Debt
3. Debt
4. Debt
5. All of the above

I am socially liberal and a fiscal conservative...i do not like government in personal issues...i think we should pay taxes grudingly.

Thank you!

55+

OH MY...YOU SOUND LIKE MY HISTORY TEACHER... im scared...AND IF I ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS anyways YOU ARE GOING TO TELL ME that I AM WRONG because MY HISTORY TEACHER 1302 SEEMS TO BE THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS ALL THE ANSWERS and us HIS STUDENTS WE ARE JUST A GROUP OF STUPID PEOPLE.... i dont like my class.... :confused:

I'm not in any of your age groups, but I'll answer regardless.

The American Revolution because it gave us our independence and a republican form of government. The Civil War because it marked the end of states' rights and the beginning of centralized power in the federal government. The Great Depression and New Deal because they gave rise to the nonsensical notion that the government is able to spend our money better than we can and this somehow magically ends recessions. Pearl Harbor because it led to our direct entrance into World War 2. 9/11 because the federal government used this event as a catalyst to centralize even more power than ever before and to start a War on Terror.

George Washington - Retired after two terms and kept us neutral in the French and British conflict.

Thomas Jefferson - Ended the Bank of the United States, paid down the national debt, and mostly kept the federal government limited.

William Henry Harrison - Had no time to do any damage to the country.

Grover Cleveland - Adhered to the gold standard and mostly kept to a limited government.

It should be noted that though these may be the best of the Presidents, they don't necessarily get the title of "good President." I'd probably still rate them all as "Poor" despite being, in my opinion, the best of the bunch.

9/11 and the War on Terror. I'm not old enough to remember the other significant events in my lifetime such as the inevitable collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.

Our unmanageable debt, our foreign policy, economic stagnation, a decrease in our standard of living, and a federal government intent on encroaching on more and more of our freedoms to "deal" with each crisis that comes its way.

Thank you!

Neither, I'm a libertarian.

The American Revolution. Established this nation.

The Civil War. Decided the nature of this nation.

The Homestead Act. Populated the West.

Transcontinental Railroad. Tied the coasts together.

The Great Depression. Taught us the value of government.

Lincoln. Preserved the Union.

Washington. Taught us what a President should be, and how to relinquish power.

Jefferson. Created the US as a continental nation with the Louisiana Purchase, and the Corp of Discovery.

Theodore Roosevelt. Established the idea of preserving the best lands of the nation as the property of all the citizens of the nation.

Franklin Roosevelt. Guided this nation through the Great Depression and inspired hope in a truly hopeless time.

The end of WW2.

The establishment of the Interstate System.

Polio vaccine.

Kennedy assination

Moon landing

Global warming.

Nuclear proliferation.

The divid between the haves and have nots. Not only internationally, but within the developed nations.

How to effectively apply new technologies and retain personal freedom.

Educating our children to meet the challenges of a world that we cannot even, at present, imagine.

5. Blue collar liberal. I believe that a group of people that decide on a common and good goal, can achieve it, even if they are called a government.

65+

35-55

- Civil war
- WWII
- Civil rights movement
- Invention of the telegraph
- Interstate Hwy system and Jet Travel

- Lincoln
- FDR
- Teddy Roosevelt
- Washington
- Jackson

- 9-11
- JFK assasination
- Moon landing
- Challenger crash
- Obama election

- Energy
- Environment
- Immigration
- Civility
- Jobs

Liberal

Thank you

Last edited:
I am exactly THIRTY-FIVE years of age

The formation of the Earth
The formation of North America
The ocean currents in both the Pacific and the Atlantic
The Rocky Mountains (for without the center of our continent might be a desert)
Columbus discovering the continent and killing all the savages.

Millard "MillFill" Fillmore
Calvin "Cool Cal" Coolidge
James "Jimbo" Garfield
Warren "Reny" Harding
Wm Henry "Big Hank" Harrison

The Copyright Act of 1976
33 inning game between Rochester Red Wings and Pawsox
Michael Jackson's hair catches on fire
Red Sox win 2004 WS
Red Sox win 2007 WS

Let me find my crystal ball...

SHIT! It's cracked.

Do I consider myself a liberal or a conservative? Yes.

Forum List

Back