US has hIghest teen pregnancy rate of industrialized nations

We are not saying abstinence doesn't work, we are saying abstinence only education doesn't work, as kids will do it anyway, regardless of how much ytou tell them its wrong or they aren't supposed to

and so what makes you think they will listen when you provide furthur details about cause and effect?

HOw is being educated on forms of birth control and consequences of unprotected sex a bad thing? Nobody says we should just teach about birth control and not abstinence, but abstinence only doesn't teach them anything.

so who should do the teaching? and do you know if the teen pregnacy is higher or lower since abstinence only was tried?

Or maybe if we did not make it so easy for them to rid themselves of the issue of pregancy, they would be a little more concerned about using protection?

Maybe?

I really doubt that's the number one reason why they have unprotected sex, or even high on the list, as abortion is not some flippant little procedure that is not without risks. Kids can be dumb, fall to peer pressure, etc. As much as we want everybody to be responsible, sadly that is not the case. I think stressing sex ed, really driving home the consequences in showing nasty images of STD patients, and the struggles of pregnancy, on top of telling them they should not treat sex very loosely, would help.

We are such prudes compared to many european countries when it comes to sex, which does seem to correlate with our teen pregnancy rate. Same with alcohol, kids drink with parents in europe and don't nearly have as much problem with drinking issues as we do in the US> ANd what happens to kids from extremely strict parents that forbid them from doing anything, when they go to college? They tend to go overboard with binge drinking.

Focus on the 'tend", I'm not making statements that everybody does it, as I've found many people usually like to imply

Fair enough. You make a good point. You made several valid points.

So your solution?

teach sex education and abstinence. More access to BC for teens who's parents may not be as open with their child about it and won't help them or educate them

and so what makes you think they will listen when you provide furthur details about cause and effect?

HOw is being educated on forms of birth control and consequences of unprotected sex a bad thing? Nobody says we should just teach about birth control and not abstinence, but abstinence only doesn't teach them anything.

What is a valid age to expose school children to sex ed?

That could vary, we know kids have sex earlier, but 9th grade, when most will likely start to have relations or be more into the opposite sex

yes, that's the ticket, get em drunk, legalize marijuana, and teach them about condoms.. problem solved.. good job libruls..

No wonder why you are on my ignore list, too dumb and trollish to have a discussion here. Why did I bother reading your posts :lol::cuckoo:

Let me summarize...

Gregg:Wahhh waaaa Wahhhh Bristol abstinence only waaah wahhhh waaaaa.

Everyone else: WTF does it matter what Bristol says? She has no pull. Whats YOUR plan?

Greg: Waaaaaa wahhhh waaaaa, you just like to bitch same as me on a MB waaaaah wahhhh

del: I actually teach a course in sex ed in hopes to help to curb teenage pregnancy. Again, whats YOUR plan?

Gregg: waaaaaaaaah del's an asshole! waaaaaahhhhh.

del, that some serious ownage of a poster there. Hats off.

PWNED_.JPG

:lol: I was thinking the same thing. Nice summary.

What is a valid age to expose school children to sex ed?

That could vary, we know kids have sex earlier, but 9th grade, when most will likely start to have relations or be more into the opposite sex

I would support sex ed in 9th grade. It can only help. If a parent has such strong religious values, they should have a right to have their child excused. And likely, that child will be a virgin till he/she gets marries anyway.

You got my vote on this one Gregg.

Link your source.

Or would you prefer to continue to whine instead of engaging in an honest debate?

Link your source.
I might say that anyone unaware that the US DOES in fact have a teen pregnancy problem is either woefully ignorant or willfully blind. Does it truly matter if other countries are better or not? What we can say is the current system, wherein Welfraud rewards having children out of wedlock, is not working to reduce teen pregnancies.

Logic and expoerience is the best source.

If you prefer to read it somewhere and not apply your own logic, go for it.

Certain things dont need "sources" to confrim.

Experience does not a scientific poll make. Also there's little logic to teens wanting to get pregnant, what possible good would come of that? And yes I know some teens (or at least that group from MA) decided to get pregnant but I have a hard time believing that most teens want to.

I apologize for posting an abbreviated post. my point would be understood based on the post I was responding to that simply asked "source"?

My source that teens get pregnant on pourpose is basic logic. Teens know that sex creates pregnancy. All teens (except rape) have sex on purpose. Therefore, they go through the necessary acts USED to get pregnant, on purpose.

The fact that they get pregnant is a rersult of an act done on purpose.

Just becuase they dont think it will happen to them does not minimize the fact that they know that the act can often cause pregnancy.

So yes, logic says that their getting pregnant is by no menas an accident.

Sorry if my abbreviated post was confusing to you.

That's like saying if you car slides off the road during a storm you did it on purpose because you knew the risks.

We are not saying abstinence doesn't work, we are saying abstinence only education doesn't work, as kids will do it anyway, regardless of how much ytou tell them its wrong or they aren't supposed to

People have a biological urge to have sex, not so with not using condoms.

Experience does not a scientific poll make. Also there's little logic to teens wanting to get pregnant, what possible good would come of that? And yes I know some teens (or at least that group from MA) decided to get pregnant but I have a hard time believing that most teens want to.

I apologize for posting an abbreviated post. my point would be understood based on the post I was responding to that simply asked "source"?

My source that teens get pregnant on pourpose is basic logic. Teens know that sex creates pregnancy. All teens (except rape) have sex on purpose. Therefore, they go through the necessary acts USED to get pregnant, on purpose.

The fact that they get pregnant is a rersult of an act done on purpose.

Just becuase they dont think it will happen to them does not minimize the fact that they know that the act can often cause pregnancy.

So yes, logic says that their getting pregnant is by no menas an accident.

Sorry if my abbreviated post was confusing to you.

That's like saying if you car slides off the road during a storm you did it on purpose because you knew the risks.

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo: not unless you got out and pushed it without your rubber boots on..

Link your source.
I might say that anyone unaware that the US DOES in fact have a teen pregnancy problem is either woefully ignorant or willfully blind. Does it truly matter if other countries are better or not? What we can say is the current system, wherein Welfraud rewards having children out of wedlock, is not working to reduce teen pregnancies.

When did I deny the US had a teen pregnancy problem?

He stated the US has the highest rate, I'd like to know which countries he's comparing us to. Hell if you compare US with Canada then you have to take into consideration the number of people living in each country. You take 300 million Americans compared to 33 million Canadians of course you're going to have a higher rate. In other words it's not a fair comparison.

Link your source.

When did I deny the US had a teen pregnancy problem?

He stated the US has the highest rate, I'd like to know which countries he's comparing us to. Hell if you compare US with Canada then you have to take into consideration the number of people living in each country. You take 300 million Americans compared to 33 million Canadians of course you're going to have a higher rate. In other words it's not a fair comparison.

"Industrialized world" which is a lot

Yes and when you look at the pregnancy rates for Hispanics, many of whom are illegal and then rewarded for their anchor baby, you're not comparing apples to apples either. But we can just ignore that fact too.

No young lady would ever admit to getting pregnant on purpose. That would be evil. "Accidents" are much easier to excuse.

These babies are meal tickets for many. Despicable.

My county is #2 in teen pregnancy in the state. And we are #1 in child abuse and neglect. Coincidence?

Yes and when you look at the pregnancy rates for Hispanics, many of whom are illegal and then rewarded for their anchor baby, you're not comparing apples to apples either. But we can just ignore that fact too.

No young lady would ever admit to getting pregnant on purpose. That would be evil. "Accidents" are much easier to excuse.

These babies are meal tickets for many. Despicable.

My county is #2 in teen pregnancy in the state. And we are #1 in child abuse and neglect. Coincidence?

dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

the focus needs to be away from sex and driving teens to something more meaningful/useful to the rest of their lives. Whether its a hobby, skill, gratification above the physical level, or whatever it takes. Motivate them to do something more useful than sleeping with a bunch of random people.

Forum List

Back