US GDP rises 5.7%, but corporations aren't hiring

Vast LWC

<-Mohammed
Aug 4, 2009
New York
Well, the GDP rose by 5.7% which is a continuation of a trend of rising GDP, so the stimulus and other economic policies appear to be helping a bit:

U.S. GDP grows at 5.7% rate in fourth quarter - latimes.com

The nation's total production of goods and services expanded at a heady 5.7% annual rate in the final three months of last year, the Commerce Department said Friday in its first estimate of the quarter's gross domestic product.

But unemployment continues to be dismal.

What's the reason? US Companies keep sending their jobs overseas, to save money, thanks to reliance on market self-governance.

So the corporations reap record profits, Wall Street continues to climb, and US citizens continue to have no jobs.

So what's the solution? Obama believes it's giving tax breaks to companies that keep their jobs in the US. I say that's a good start.

Anyone have any other good ideas to keep jobs here?

Nobody is going to expand hiring until the economy stabilizes. Employment will be the last indicator to kick in. It will be a long time before it goes below 5% again, but hopefully we can get down to 7-8% by the end of the year

• Banned
How much were last quarter's growth numbers revised downward, and how much of that "growth" is attributed to gubmint just throwing money around?

Inquiring minds want to know.

What money was "thrown around" in the fourth quarter?

Cash for clunkers pretty much ended in the 3rd quarter. Minimal stimulus money was spent in the fourth quarter.

This looks like it's mostly real GDP growth to me.

And with real GDP growth there should logically be at least some growth in jobs. Unless the jobs are going elsewhere...

How much were last quarter's growth numbers revised downward, and how much of that "growth" is attributed to gubmint just throwing money around?

The majority of the growth in the forth quarter came from inventory adjustments.

Economists were expecting 4.7% growth. It came in at 5.7%.

Consumption rose 2.0%, better than expected.

Also, GDP may be revised upwards.

that is jsut what the stimulus is supposed to do you fool, keep it all from coming to a crashing halt.

they hate it and say it didnt work while hating it for working.

Im sooo sick of partisan hacks.

The GDP for the US is $15 Trillion. A 5.7% increase in the GDP amounts to $855 Billion which means we recouped the entire stimulus bill in just one quarter of 2009.

If the gubmint just throwing around money equates to that much of a rise, we need to do more stimulus spending

Last edited:
  • Banned

The GDP for the US is $15 Trillion. A 5.7% increase in the GDP amounts to $855 Billion which means we recouped the entire stimulus bill in just one quarter of 2009.

If the gubmint just throwing around money equates to that much of a rise, we need to do more stimulus spending

Dang, those are some good numbers.

Now we just have to make sure companies take those numbers and start hiring AMERICANS.

So, again, let's get some ideas together for doing that. We got some smart folks here, what do you all think are good ideas to get companies to hire HERE instead of in India?

I had a honda cb 500 deluxe a few years ago.....loved that bike.

Nobody is going to expand hiring until the economy stabilizes. Employment will be the last indicator to kick in. It will be a long time before it goes below 5% again, but hopefully we can get down to 7-8% by the end of the year

Then the righty's will say, why did it take so long. People seem to forget how close we were to a depression prior to Obama taking office.

Gone are the days when we'll be able to walk into a big box store and walk out with a fridge, washer dryer, couches and chairs in the same day.

No one wants to keep large inventories anymore, it costs too much. So we'll go back to the good old days when we had to wait a couple weeks to get our stuff.Hell I waited 6 weeks for my new couch to come in.

Gone are the days when we'll be able to walk into a big box store and walk out with a fridge, washer dryer, couches and chairs in the same day.

No one wants to keep large inventories anymore, it costs too much. So we'll go back to the good old days when we had to wait a couple weeks to get our stuff.Hell I waited 6 weeks for my new couch to come in.
I strongly suspect that a lot of the alleged growth is from stores replenishing inventories after the holidays.

We'll see...The numbers often get revised down.

I strongly suspect that a lot of the alleged growth is from stores replenishing inventories after the holidays.

We'll see...The numbers often get revised down.

I agree but inventories will not rise to pre recession levels for a long long time.

Forum List

Back