US Expeditionary Strike Groups

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
galdorisi.jpg

It isn’t just massive aircraft carriers anymore.

The following seems to identify them clearly:

For decades, when a crisis emerged anywhere on the globe, the first question a U.S. president asked was, “Where are the carriers?” Today, that question is still asked, but increasingly, it has morphed into, “Where are the expeditionary strike groups?” The reason for this is clear: These naval expeditionary formations — built around a large-deck amphibious assault ship, an amphibious transport dock, and a dock landing ship — have been the ones used extensively for a wide array of missions short of war, from anti-piracy patrols, to personnel evacuation to humanitarian assistance and disaster relief. And where tensions lead to hostilities these forces are the only ones that give the U.S. military a forcible-entry option.

VTO aircraft for close ground support and amphibious vehicles to take troops and equipment on shore.

Much more
@ The U.S. Navy’s Amphibious Assault Renaissance: It’s More Than Ships and Aircraft

galdorisi.jpg

For decades, when a crisis emerged anywhere on the globe, the first question a U.S. president asked was, “Where are the carriers?” Today, that question is still asked, but increasingly, it has morphed into, “Where are the expeditionary strike groups?” The reason for this is clear: These naval expeditionary formations — built around a large-deck amphibious assault ship, an amphibious transport dock, and a dock landing ship — have been the ones used extensively for a wide array of missions short of war, from anti-piracy patrols, to personnel evacuation to humanitarian assistance and disaster relief. And where tensions lead to hostilities these forces are the only ones that give the U.S. military a forcible-entry option.

VTO aircraft for close ground support and amphibious vehicles to take troops and equipment on shore.

Much more
@ The U.S. Navy’s Amphibious Assault Renaissance: It’s More Than Ships and Aircraft
The one in the middle isn't an aircraft carrier. It's a helocarrier.
I could give you it's name if I could see the hull number on it's bow.

MEUs/MAUs have been around for a long time
I was on one in 1987
Scott O'Grady was rescued by the USMC from an Amphib
we were off Beirut for a long time in 87'
Grenada
MAUs/MEU have been used for decades in numerous operations
it never was ''just carriers''

galdorisi.jpg

Much more
He knows the picture is of the MEU

the MAU is powerful
it can have it's own tanks
anti-tank vehicles
anti-tank Marines
battalion of Marines
arty
on call air support --of course-choppers and fixed wing
fixed wing from the carriers and harriers from the Gators
3 modes of landings-rubber boats [ in the 80s, --now? ] , choppers, and AA7s
also LCACs
of course, hospital facilities on ship
etc etc

we had SOC units--Special Ops Capable
we did have Delta Force on our ship
....we did training for the classic Spec Ops--the USMC would isolate the area around where Delta would move in
...I remember the Little Birds Delta had..but I forgot which Big ones they used
..the Little Ones were tiny, especially compared to the 53s
..we also had the SEALS

....also, I forgot, ---the MAUs/MEUs also can call in naval gunfire
we had BBs in the 80s

The Marines routinely referred to Marine shipboard units as "MEU" Marine Epeditionary Units as far back as the early 60's when I was in the FMF. The first Dominican crisis was a MEU as was the Cuban Missile Crisis. Everyone in my unit was awarded the "Marine Expeditionary medal" as well as the Armed Forces Expeditionary medal" before 1963. I spent about 30 days aboard an old rust tub the USS Boxer which was LPH 4 at that time.

galdorisi.jpg

Much more
LHD 1.............USS Wasp..............needs a paint job soon........LOL.....

Served on it for 3 years plus.........a long time ago........The 1 is on the superstructure......

GATOR NAVY

galdorisi.jpg

Much more

Served on it for 3 years plus.........a long time ago........The 1 is on the superstructure......

GATOR NAVY
I did some touch and goes on the WASP when I was in Moghadishu Somalia aboard a Blackhawk. I think it was August of 93.

galdorisi.jpg

Much more

GATOR NAVY
I did some touch and goes on the WASP when I was in Moghadishu Somalia aboard a Blackhawk. I think it was August of 93.
I guess we were both there then..................that video is from the 24th MEU who we transported there..............

Small world eh.............

galdorisi.jpg

Much more

GATOR NAVY
I guess we were both there then..................that video is from the 24th MEU who we transported there..............

Small world eh.............
Yep. I was in a team ODA-523 Bco 1st Batt 5th SF Grp....JSOTF under UNISOM staying at the Embassy.
160th Nightstalkers was the airwing.
Friend of mine was with a M.I. unit staying at the University at the same time.
There's not that many of us, Somalia vets that is. No T-shirts or hats are being sold from what I can tell.
10th Mountain was the QRF at the time.

Forum List

Back