US Competitive Edge

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
If we are to retain our lead in R&D, we should intensify our public and private investments in science centers. We should consider increasing the tax advantage to companies and individuals that invest in R&D.

U.S. Still Leads the World in Science and Technology; Nation Benefits From Foreign Scientists, Engineers

Complete news release: RAND | News Release | U.S. Still Leads the World in Science and Technology; Nation Benefits From Foreign Scientists, Engineers

Complete study: http://www.rand.org/pubs/monographs/2008/RAND_MG674.pdf

Despite perceptions that the nation is losing its competitive edge, the United States remains the dominant leader in science and technology worldwide, according to a RAND Corporation study issued today.

The United States accounts for 40 percent of the total world’s spending on scientific research and development, employs 70 percent of the world’s Nobel Prize winners and is home to three-quarters of the world’s top 40 universities.

An inflow of foreign students in the sciences -- as well as scientists and engineers from overseas -- has helped the United States build and maintain its worldwide lead, even as many other nations increase their spending on research and development. Continuing this flow of foreign-born talent is critical to helping the United States maintain its lead, according to the study.

“Much of the concern about the United States losing its edge as the world’s leader in science and technology appears to be unfounded,” said Titus Galama, co-author of the report and a management scientist at RAND, a nonprofit research organization. “But the United States cannot afford to be complacent. Effort is needed to make sure the nation maintains or even extends its standing.”

U.S. investments in research and development have not lagged in recent years, but instead have grown at rates similar to what has occurred elsewhere in the world -- growing even faster than what has been seen in Europe and Japan. While China is investing heavily in research and development, it does not yet account for a large share of world innovation and scientific output, which continues to be dominated by the United States, Europe and Japan, according to RAND researchers.

However, other nations are rapidly educating their populations in science and technology. For instance, the European Union and China each are graduating more university-educated scientists and engineers every year than the United States.

Policymakers often receive advice from ad hoc sources. Although their viewpoints are valuable, they should be balanced by more complete and critical assessments of U.S. science and technology, said report co-author James Hosek, a RAND senior economist. The absence of a balanced assessment can feed a public misperception that U.S. science and technology is failing when in fact it remains strong, even preeminent.

“There is a pressing need for ongoing, objective analyses of science and technology performance and the science and technology workforce. We need this information to ensure that decision makers have a rigorous understanding of the issues,” Hosek said.

Among the study’s recommendations:

Establish a permanent commitment to fund a chartered body that would periodically monitor and analyze U.S. science and technology performance and the condition of the nation’s science and engineering workforce.

Make it easier for foreigners who have graduated from U.S. universities with science and engineering degrees to stay indefinitely in the United States.

Make it easier for highly skilled labor to immigrate to the United States to ensure the benefits of expanded innovation are captured in the United States and to help the United States remain competitive in research and innovation.

Increase the United States’ capacity to learn from science centers in Europe, Japan, China, India and other countries.

Continue to improve K-12 education in general, and science and technology education in particular.

If we are to retain our lead in R&D, we should intensify our public and private investments in science centers. We should consider increasing the tax advantage to companies and individuals that invest in R&D.

All of this is good info but let's not forget the need for freedom of information. If anything has given us an edge it's that one thing. We've proven that genius is not hereditary and the best decisions are not necessarily made by an elite ruling class. We've prospered because opportunity exists at all levels and access to information has been the key (i.e. public libraries, etc.) The great philanthropists of the past built libraries and museums, today they provide laptops to the disadvantaged.

Or...we could make all college education free and really get some bang for our bucks.

Companies that invest in r & d should be able to profit from it. Bottom line with the increasing interference by government into all aspects of commerce, it's become all a paper chase, rather than an investment in the business and products.

Togo is the country which puts the largest percentage of its GDP into R&D. I learned it on FIFA World Cup 2006 so it must be true.

Companies that invest in r & d should be able to profit from it. Bottom line with the increasing interference by government into all aspects of commerce, it's become all a paper chase, rather than an investment in the business and products.

Or our government can make a deal with the pharmaceutical companies that they won't negotiate the price of prescription drugs so those companies can sell US the drugs at more than top dollar while they sell them elsewhere on the cheap.

Oh wait...

Or our government can make a deal with the pharmaceutical companies that they won't negotiate the price of prescription drugs so those companies can sell US the drugs at more than top dollar while they sell them elsewhere on the cheap.

Oh wait...

I wasn't thinking as much of the pharmaceutical as communications, transportation, and even education. I think the FDA is rather good, though takes too long.

I wasn't thinking as much of the pharmaceutical as communications, transportation, and even education. I think the FDA is rather good, though takes too long.

Really? Did you know that the FDA won't allow dermatologists to prescribe a certain acne medication unless the prescribee (if female) has a pregnancy test every 30 days while on the med? That's new since the religious right took over the repub party.

Really? Did you know that the FDA won't allow dermatologists to prescribe a certain acne medication unless the prescribee (if female) has a pregnancy test every 30 days while on the med? That's new since the religious right took over the repub party.

What? If the drug is capable of deforming a fetus, I can understand it to a point. I think I'd just live with the acne, personally, if it has those kinds of side effects.

An inflow of foreign students in the sciences -- as well as scientists and engineers from overseas -- has helped the United States build and maintain its worldwide lead, even as many other nations increase their spending on research and development. Continuing this flow of foreign-born talent is critical to helping the United States maintain its lead, according to the study.

Exactamundo.

The US should make it easier for qualified people to immigrate here. Other countries such as Canada and the UK have eased their immigration requirements so talented people can come from elsewhere. We should do so too.

Exactamundo.

The US should make it easier for qualified people to immigrate here. Other countries such as Canada and the UK have eased their immigration requirements so talented people can come from elsewhere. We should do so too.

Why? All those "talented people" have to do is walk in. After all, they will only take jobs American citizens don't want.

Why? All those "talented people" have to do is walk in. After all, they will only take jobs American citizens don't want.

Something like 60% of all PhDs in the sciences in this country are awarded to foreign born students. Yet we discourage or make it difficult for them to stay.

That's great policy given that wealth creation is being driven more and more by human capital.

:clap2:

Something like 60% of all PhDs in the sciences in this country are awarded to foreign born students. Yet we discourage or make it difficult for them to stay.

That's great policy given that wealth creation is being driven more and more by human capital.

:clap2:

Again, all they have to do is stay. I also have to ask: if there is such a shortage of talented people here in the US why in the world would a foriegner come to the US to study (presumably where the "less talented" reside)?

Another little tid bit for you: wealth creation is usually instigated, propagated and sustained by human capital. Of course I understand the some think Americans are too stupid to generate any wealth. and thus we need the government to take care of that for us by bringing in the "talented people" from foreign shores.

Exactamundo.

Agreed. Most of those involved in Manhattan Project were immigrants.

I am somewhat surprised that you would think that the folks in the US are somehow less intelligent or creative than folks from elsewhere.

I don't, but I'm not adverse to getting the best, from wherever.

I don't, but I'm not adverse to getting the best, from wherever.

Don't get me wrong...I agree with you. However, I think that those PhDs leaving the country after getting their education here are really returning home because they WANT to. If they really wanted to stay they could.

Don't get me wrong...I agree with you. However, I think that those PhDs leaving the country after getting their education here are really returning home because they WANT to. If they really wanted to stay they could.

I'm assuming you are addressing those foreign born, non-US citizens, returning home? That number should be way, way higher. Our problem is with those with student visas, not wanting to return home.

Again, all they have to do is stay. I also have to ask: if there is such a shortage of talented people here in the US why in the world would a foriegner come to the US to study (presumably where the "less talented" reside)?

Because America is a great place of opportunity.

And what's with all the self-pity? A better question to ask is why are so few native-born Americans pursuing doctorates in the sciences?

Another little tid bit for you: wealth creation is usually instigated, propagated and sustained by human capital. Of course I understand the some think Americans are too stupid to generate any wealth. and thus we need the government to take care of that for us by bringing in the "talented people" from foreign shores.

If you want to get into a discussion about wealth creation, that is right up my alley. Its great fun. And framing such a discussion in simplistic binary dogma is a pointless exercise, best left to the sewer media of talk radio and snappy bumper stickers.

Attracting the best and brightest from the world to create breakthroughs on the cutting-edge of technology is in America's interests. Xenophobic nativism discouraging these people is not.

"All they have to do is stay" is a great idea. So why does this country require highly talented people to wait years before they are given a Green Card? Especially when other countries are making it easier for these people? Any foreign student who has earned a masters or doctorate degree should be awarded a Green Card as soon as they graduate, assuming all the requisite security checks are cleared.

Well, some do. But many of these people come from third world countries. Most of them would rather stay. To do so, they have to jump through numerous hoops, pay tens of thousands of dollars in application and lawyers fees, and wait on average 3-4 years or more to get permanent residency. I've seen it first hand. Its ridiculous.

New Topics

Forum List

Back