US Civil War: Fed vs. states

george4title

Aug 2, 2010
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H67jv52inR4]YouTube - ‪US Civil War: Fed vs. states‬‎[/ame]

yeah I got on the news guys with something I talked about on my youtube channel. hope I did ok

Get righties to support states rights on legal pot, not just guns and immigrants.

Been there...done that

States lost

Since that time, the US has become the most powerful country on earth

This is the sort of issue that generally leads to the decomposition of nations (see Yugoslavia).

I hope it does not come to violence, as history teaches that no nation is immune to internal conflict.

This is the sort of issue that generally leads to the decomposition of nations (see Yugoslavia).

I hope it does not come to violence, as history teaches that no nation is immune to internal conflict.

Histroy also teaches those who do not remember their history will repeat the same thing over and over and over.

State government is too inefficient? What kinda crack you smokin? I think the government should kick rocks and not tell us what to do in our own states.
I love you

Well, seriously. Since when should our lives be any of their business to be a part of something we never invited them to do in the first place? Montana demonstrated that a while back with some gun law they wanted to pass and they told the Feds to kiss their ass. I love it when I see states fight back. When November comes that will be interesting to see how things unfold. And by the way..its not that if it's "inefficient" or not..the point is the Feds should have no part in policing any state..I think since after this Arizona turmoil other states will begin to learn from this and won't take anymore bullshit from the govt.

Last edited:
State government is too inefficient? What kinda crack you smokin? I think the government should kick rocks and not tell us what to do in our own states.
I love you

Well, seriously. Since when should our lives be any of their business to be a part of something we never invited them to do in the first place? Montana demonstrated that a while back with some gun law they wanted to pass and they told the Feds to kiss their ass. I love it when I see states fight back. When November comes that will be interesting to see how things unfold.

I agree totally.

The US never could have developed economically after the civil war if we had remained state centered. The key economic engine of the time was the railroads which needed a strong federal government to set rail standards, plan routes, acquire land and establish comonality. In-state bickering would have doomed the railroads along with communications, interstate highways, dams, electrical powergrids...you name it

The US never could have developed economically after the civil war if we had remained state centered. The key economic engine of the time was the railroads which needed a strong federal government to set rail standards, plan routes, acquire land and establish comonality. In-state bickering would have doomed the railroads along with communications, interstate highways, dams, electrical powergrids...you name it

You really don't understand America do you? The Government did not have anything to do with the Railroads. It was the railroads that were buying right of ways.
Ma Bell not the government started the communcation system in America Dams and the power grid all done by private ventures not the government.

You have some good valid points..but with all due respect, I think some laws that a state for example would want to adopt/pass the Feds should have no business invading in their state/local functions

The U.S. Constitution establishes a government based on "federalism," or the sharing of power between the national, and state (and local) governments. Our power-sharing form of government is the opposite of "centralized" governments, such as those in England and France, under which national government maintains total power.

While each of the 50 states has its own constitution, all provisions of state constitutions must comply with the U.S. Constitution. For example, a state constitution cannot deny accused criminals the right to a trial by jury, as assured by the U.S. Constitution's 6th Amendment.

Under the U.S. Constitution, both the national and state governments are granted certain exclusive powers and share other powers.

Federalism: National vs. State Government

You really don't understand America do you? The Government did not have anything to do with the Railroads. It was the railroads that were buying right of ways.
Ma Bell not the government started the communcation system in America Dams and the power grid all done by private ventures not the government.

Good start..

Now imagine if each railroad had to negotiate state by state, each with a separate gauge requirement, each with different safety and engineering standards. Same with communications and power grids. If each state developed its own standards for switching and routing you could have never developed and integrated network.

The U.S. Constitution establishes a government based on "federalism," or the sharing of power between the national, and state (and local) governments. Our power-sharing form of government is the opposite of "centralized" governments, such as those in England and France, under which national government maintains total power.

While each of the 50 states has its own constitution, all provisions of state constitutions must comply with the U.S. Constitution. For example, a state constitution cannot deny accused criminals the right to a trial by jury, as assured by the U.S. Constitution's 6th Amendment.

Under the U.S. Constitution, both the national and state governments are granted certain exclusive powers and share other powers.

Federalism: National vs. State Government

Exclusive Powers of the National Government

Under the Constitution, powers reserved to the national government include:

# Print money (bills and coins)
# Declare war
# Establish an army and navy
# Enter into treaties with foreign governments
# Regulate commerce between states and international trade
# Establish post offices and issue postage
# Make laws necessary to enforce the Constitution

Exclusive Powers of State Governments

Powers reserved to state governments include:

# Establish local governments
# Issue licenses (driver, hunting, marriage, etc.)
# Regulate intrastate (within the state) commerce
# Conduct elections
# Ratify amendments to the U.S. Constitution
# Provide for public health and safety
# Exercise powers neither delegated to the national government or prohibited from the states by the U.S.
Constitution (For example, setting legal drinking and smoking ages.)

Powers Shared by National and State Government

Shared, or "concurrent" powers include:

# Setting up courts
# Creating and collecting taxes
# Building highways
# Borrowing money
# Making and enforcing laws
# Chartering banks and corporations
# Spending money for the betterment of the general welfare
# Taking (condemning) private property with just compensation

Last edited:

Good start..

Now imagine if each railroad had to negotiate state by state, each with a separate gauge requirement, each with different safety and engineering standards. Same with communications and power grids. If each state developed its own standards for switching and routing you could have never developed and integrated network.

The railroads negotiated with land owners not the state. unless it was a path through Indian Territory. The standards were set by the railroads. There wasn't any government over sight for building any railroads.

Forum List

Back