US Calls Turkish Actions 'Genocide'; Turks Outraged

&

☭proletarian☭

Turkey has recalled its ambassador from the US and condemned a Washington panel's move to declare the killing of Armenians by Ottoman forces in the first world war a "genocide".
"We condemn this resolution which accuses the Turkish nation of a crime it has not committed," Ankara said in a statement on Thursday.
"Following this development, our ambassador to Washington, Namik Tan, was recalled to Ankara for consultations."
The announcement came minutes after the US House of Representatives' Foreign Affairs Committee passed a non-binding measure in a 23-22 vote on Thursday, calling on the Obama administration to ensure US policy formally refers to the 1915 mass killings of Armenians as genocide.

Al Jazeera English - Europe - Turkey condemns US 'genocide' vote

US administration to block vote on Turkey 'genocide'

The Obama administration has said it will seek to block a controversial bill describing as genocide the World War I killing of Armenians by Turks.
BBC News - US administration to block vote on Turkey 'genocide'

---------------------
Suat Kiniklioglu, the influential deputy chairman for external affairs in the ruling Justice and Development party (AKP), warned of "major consequences" if the resolution was accepted by the full House of Representatives.

"If they choose to bring this to the floor they will have to face the fact that the consequences would be serious – the relationship would be downgraded at every level," he said. "Everything from Afghanistan to Pakistan to Iraq to the Middle East process would be affected.

Turkey threatens 'serious consequences' after US vote on Armenian genocide | World news | The Guardian

I think Turkey will downgrade relations and cooperations in some of the areas we are working with USA. A sort of punishment for consuming our energy every f* year.
You have to learn, that this is not a business of yours and you will remember next year.
First thing without taking greater risk in foreign policy is abandoning Incirlik for US use.
Nationalize Incirlik. Maybe that will fund your election campaigns or secure you American-Armenian votes.

Last edited:
So Turkey got their feathers ruffled. No surprise.

Very funny.
There are 2 questions:
1. How nasty USA wants to play
2. How strong Turkey really is.

US interests loose anyway. Make no doubt about that.

He promised as Senator, but "he can't".
2785114092_e2ed517271.jpg

Yeah, it was genocide, and, no, Turkey is not as strong as it thinks it is.

Barking posers for Armenian-Americans in election districts of California.

Yeah, it was genocide, and, no, Turkey is not as strong as it thinks it is.
I would be a fool if I underestimated Turkey's influence and standing in that part of the world.

It was genocide. The last time this was up for a vote, it was voted down so as not to piss of an ally. But, it was genocide. If the truth pisses off, as we see it does to our resident Muslims, too fucking bad. There is nothing binding in the resolution, but it's an embarrassment to the Turks, I guess. Funny thing is, folks in that part of the world have issues with doing the right thing and accepting responsibility for their actions. The Germans have been honorable and accepted responsibility for their history and set a good example of what to do when that happens.

Last edited:
The USA was able to ignore Turkey in March 2003 and still invade Iraq successfully. Thus we owe Turkey nothing. And, yes, it was genocide. The definition of "the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group" clearly defines the history of Turkey and the minority group from 1911 to 1916. I have liked most of the Turks I have met, but they are xenophobic second only to the Japanese, in my opinion. I hope the resolution passes and have been disappointed in administrations in the past's waffling on the matter.

Whether it was genocide or not it was also nearly 100 years ago. Doesn't our government have more important things to do than to accuse a bunch of dead people of genocide?

Turkey is one of our oldest allies in the area, at least since the end of WW2. What are these idiots in Washington doing wasting time pissing off an Allie? Of course Turkey could just come back and pass their own resolution or ask for one at the UN condemning the USA for genocide of the American Indian.

Whether it was genocide or not it was also nearly 100 years ago. Doesn't our government have more important things to do than to accuse a bunch of dead people of genocide?

Turkey is one of our oldest allies in the area, at least since the end of WW2. What are these idiots in Washington doing wasting time pissing off an Allie? Of course Turkey could just come back and pass their own resolution or ask for one at the UN condemning the USA for genocide of the American Indian.
Yup. And, I doubt much of a ruckus would be made on our end if they did.

On one hand, we did the right thing. On the other hand I have to ask to what end?

But they did it. I'm not in favor of insulting the memories of the thousands of dead Armenians by continuing to not acknowledge it.

I don't see the importance of labeling the murder of Armenians as genocide. Will is serve any purpose or change anything for the better ? I'll warrant 95% of Amercans don't even know of the murders and even less know the details.

I don't see the importance of labeling the murder of Armenians as genocide. Will is serve any purpose or change anything for the better ? I'll warrant 95% of Amercans don't even know of the murders and even less know the details.

I think that's kinda the point, isn't it? Shouldn't this be something that's taught in school?

I think that's kinda the point, isn't it? Shouldn't this be something that's taught in school?

College world history or some obscure middle eastern politics class. American kids aleady are seriousy lacking in the basic skill sets to even make a living.

Forum List

Back