US Budget: Where to cut?

I don't believe we disagree on much - you've repped me on numerous posts and I have done the same for you...

I think we're on the same side bro...

We are, I just cringe when I see people rip on the poor. Many are there through no fault of their own. Thats all.

I can see I misunderstood intent.

I rip the welfare fucks who feel content with their position.

Some poor people are poor because they're in a fucked up position - I can totally understand that... Hell, that is where I'm from, I grew up poor but my parents are successful today.. Now its my turn to do the same process...

I have to start with nothing and build something - that is the process..

Were cool! I am afraid I have fallen into a leftie trap where I am looking for offense. My Grand daughter was sexually assaulted last week. Meaning I am still pissed. I was kept in the dark just long enough for them to put the perp in jail. I dont know if I am thankful or not.

Let me begin by saying that I'm a Teenager who's going to be participating in an upcoming debate at my high school between the Teenage Republicans and Young Democrats. I was assigned the topic: The US Budget. I am apart of the Teenage Republicans, and am seeking some help or opinions. Here is what I believe.

US Budget:

1. Taxes
-Generate more revenue by cutting taxes at each level (Corp. Tax, Cap. Gains, Income Tax, etc)
2. Foreign Affairs:
-Reform our foreign aid so we are actually holding countries accountable. (Giving billions to Pakistan, yet "They didn't know" Osama was there)
-Stop funding the UN (G-77 System, wasteful spending)
3. Entitlements:
-Reform SS!! Very simply put, raise the retirement age so SS becomes sustainable
-Why are we cutting the payroll tax? It created a deficit in SS last year, and will continue to do so
-Start IRA's, let people pay what they want! But, they must contribute 3%, they can't not put into it
-Medicare/Medicaid (This is where I'm weakest)
-Obamacare needs to be repealed, cost too much
4. Illegal's
-Stop the incentives for them to come here. Start with repealing '82 Supreme Court decision that everyone is entitled to K-12 education
-Troops on the border
5. Drill!

-NO social services to them

1. Consider, a progressive income tax is a healthy method to raise revenue and protect our unique American style democracy. Too much wealth held by too few is anathema to our style of democracy in a republic. CU v. FEC must be overruled and targeted tax cuts to aid in recovery makes sense - across the board cuts will only exacerbate our debt.

2. We need to develop diplomats schooled in the culture and language of both our allies and adversaries; too much is spend on weapons development and winning a zero sum game engagement - a foreign policy of win-win should be our goal.

3. Social Security and Medicare are life-lines for our senior citizens; we should expand Medicare to include universal preventative health care for all American citizens. It is not theory to propose that early discover and treatment of disease saves lives and money.

4. Our borders must be secure. There is no easy answer to a problems which was ignored by every administration since Reagan (who, exacerbated the entire matter). Employers who hire those here illegally should be prosecuted, fined if found quilty and for the most egregious jailed.

5. Drill? Sure, but that is not an answer. Wind, solar, tidal, Geo-thermal, nuclear and even magnetism must be in the mix.

I don't believe we disagree on much - you've repped me on numerous posts and I have done the same for you...

I think we're on the same side bro...

We are, I just cringe when I see people rip on the poor. Many are there through no fault of their own. Thats all.

I can see I misunderstood intent.

I rip the welfare fucks who feel content with their position.

Some poor people are poor because they're in a fucked up position - I can totally understand that... Hell, that is where I'm from, I grew up poor but my parents are successful today.. Now its my turn to do the same process...

I have to start with nothing and build something - that is the process..
..."We should make the poor uncomfortable and kick them out of poverty." ~Benjamin Franklin

MOVE spending back to the level that it was in 2005 immediately. This would instantly put the government in the black. ANY money left over should be placed toward paying down the deficit. Now that spending is under control for the moment, then do the following:

Do away with the Department of Education. Education belongs at the State level and below. The Department of Education is just another government entity that sucks in billions of dollars and produces nothing but waste, mismanagement, and over reaching beaurocracy. If you want to give money to education, then block grant it to the state. If the state doesn't want the money, it doesn't have to play, does it? There is absolutely NO logical reason why education should be the purview of the Federal Government. Besides, we all KNOW that the Federal Government is the poster child for ineffectual, over-priced, programs.

Revamp the tax system so that companies like General Electric have to pay SOMETHING in federal income tax. I am a conservative evangelical Republican, but the fact that multi-billion dollar companies pay NOTHING in federal income tax is appalling. They shouldn't pay 35%, but 10% wouldn't kill them.

Pass a law that says that companies who have call centers in India, Pakistan or some other foreign country must pay a federal PENALTY that will make that 'business decision' more expensive than a call center in the United States. Do you know how many Indian tribes in Oklahoma would LOVE to train their tribal members to work in a call center? Companies like Intuit, Sears, Dell, etc. who have call centers overseas should feel the pain for this stupidity.

Immediately SEAL THE BORDER with Mexico. How many billions of dollars do we waste with give-aways to people who came here illegally? For those who have been here for some time, I'm going to have to go with Newt's suggestion that we begin to use local 'boards' to look at each case individually. For those who came here illegally, but have worked and done what they are supposed to do, I say they have earned a right to begin that path to citizenship. You can't load 12 million people onto flatbeds and send them back. Those that have chosen criminal activities, then those CAN and SHOULD go back.

And Congress should immediately pass a law that says that Congressmen, Senators and others should NOT get a pension for spending just two years in office. If you pass it, then Congress should be subject to it. I swear, the perks that Congressmen give themselves is obscene. Congress enjoys a whopping 8% approval rating. Can you say "out of touch"? I know you can.

Congress should appoint a committee of Democrats AND Republicans with the sole intent of finding and SHREDDING government regulations and directives. Last year, over 600,000 pages of completely NEW REGULATIONS came out of Washington. Really? Don't the people in Washington have something better to do, like leave us alone? Businesses have to pay for people to sit there and read that crap. And if it's like Obamacare, NO ONE KNOWS what it is supposed to do. Not even those who wrote it.

People who don't know the energy industry, want to rely heavily on wind, solar, and other 'genie's' for energy. You and I both know that is wishful thinking at best. Build the pipeline and let Conoco-Phillips and Exxon-Mobil do what they do best. Not only would you increase revenue but you get us out from under the thumb of those people in the middle east.

That's a start... a very small start.

Last edited:
Remove all troops from Africa, middle east and close all bases within that area. Cut defense budget 150 billion per year. Move 10 billion of that over to enforcing our borders.

I agree that we do need to limit our presence in some parts of the world, but I am not in favor of gutting our defense budget. Isolationism is what got us in trouble during WW2, 9/11, etc.

I could use all the advice and help possible! I did leave out the Dep. of Education.

By the way, thanks for the kind words.

Isolationism led to 9/11?

Care to elaborate how the US was being "isolationist" in any way?

Well kid there's about $600 billion to cut out of the DoD.

Of course cutting anything right now, militaary OR social spending is, in my opinion, the exact opposite of what we ought to be doing for this economy.

I really do wonder why people hold opinions so obviously flawed. One suggests we cut spending to 2005 levels. Consider the consequences of what must be done to do so. Pretend you're writing this new budget, and the cuts you make need to be vetted and approved by a disfunctional Congress.

Consider the effect on the economy if in doing so we layed of 500,000 Federal Employees, many of whom have mortgages, car payments, kids in school. Consider the effect on productivity, the work level will remain the same or grow, with less staff delays and mistakes will become the norm.

Consider the impact on industry when out of the blue contracts are cancelled; how will this impact the work-force of the industry?

Last edited:
I really do wonder why people hold opinions so obviously flawed. One suggests we cut spending to 2005 levels. Consider the consequences of what must be done to do so. Pretend you're writing this new budget, and the cuts you make need to be vetted and approved by a disfunctional Congress.

Consider the effect on the economy if in doing so we layed of 500,000 Federal Employees, many of whom have mortgages, car payments, kids in school. Consider the effect on productivity, the work level will remain the same or grow, with less staff delays and mistakes will become the norm.

Consider the impact on industry when out of the blue contracts are cancelled; how will this impact the work-force of the industry?

I am absolutely speechless. "Consider the effect on the economy...???"

Now we don't even worry that we are paying a ton of beaurocrats to do anything. We don't care what they do, just imagine how "horrible" it would be if we laid these people off?

I mean, what is worse: A group of 50 beaurocrats sitting in a government building somewhere doing what two trained monkeys and a blind mouse could do? Or having these people actually have to work in the private sector?

I don't know what to say... I mean, sure you lost a leg in Iraq. But imagine how bad it would be if you lost two!!!!

Jeeze...

Defense needs to be cut down a bit LONG before anything like education and programs for children and the poor are cut.

Audit and cut things from defense such as contractors pay for projects not being completed on time etc...

But you are wrong when you say it should be done BEFORE other cuts... the cuts in areas that you mention would come from things the federal government is not constitutionally charged to do anyway... so it should all immediately get cut....

Forum List

Back