US - Australia travel

G'day mate! I know that London Sydney trip well...or did. QF8 advertised as the only one-stop service to Australia...London/Bombay/Perth/Sydney. 24 hours! Fortunately, as I was working on QF advertising, I got to travel first class. Bonzer! No ankle-biters in there! Trouble was, I never ever did get to actually experience the trip beyond Bombay. Not after a slab of tinnies. I'm sure the bastards put something extra in the amber nectar to knock you out. I only drank though cos I invariably found myself sitting next to a fucking yabber. So, for me London/Sydney was only ever 12 hours. Bloody bonza mate!

Must admit. I love Oz. Apart from the blowies! Forever giving the Aussie salute. Oh, and the fucking biters. Some nasties there! And if i ever find that bastard who convinced me to go bush-bashing on my first visit, I'll rip his doodle off! I thought I was gonna be having naughties with the sheilas, not driving through the never-never!

All-in-all it really is a beautybonzaripperborisextrafuckinggrouse place. The seppos will love it!
Give It A Burl

Trans:

Hello friend! I knew that journey well once upon a time. I travelled First Class. Excellent! Unfortunately I used to drink a lot of beer on the flight and I generally lost consciousness before the aircraft landed at Mumbai. I suspect the cabin staff may have interfered with my drinks though. However I must say that I only ever drank because I found myself sitting next to one of those interminable bores who doesn't know when to stop talking. So it was only perceived by me as a 12 hour journey which is very good.

I do like Australia. But the blowflies are a nuisance. One has to constantly wave one's hand in front of one's face to deter them. And there are many species that are deleterious to humans. I was persuaded to enter some fairly isolated rural areas by someone, if I find him again I'll ensure he enters the status of eunuch. I was under the impression I'd be having sex with lots of women, not driving for days along isolated bush tracks!

But on balance it is a wonderful place. Americans will love it!

Give it a try!

End trans:

Great Trans! I learned my Ozzie lingo from reading your online papers, and a few Oz based message boards!

One thing: Americans aren't Seppos. We're Yanks! ;)

Sometimes better known as Bloody Yanks. Depending upon the speaker. :lol:

I must admit I don't use that term "Seppo". It's Australianised Cockney rhyming slang and funnily enough it's the one term that can be used in Australian rhyming slang without having to speak the full phrase. Cockney rhyming slang is differentated by its ability to be understood using only part of the phrase,eg.

"Went down the frog to the rub-a-dub-dub on me todd, got all Brahms and legged it home, cor blimey me plates ain't 'arf killing me!'

I was down the pub by myself, got drunk and had to walk home in a hurry and my feet are painful.

Frog and toad=road
Rub=pub
Todd= Todd Sloane (alone) - also Jack (Jones)
Brams and Liszt=pissed
legged is just a term in common use
Plates of meat=feet

Now in Australia the full phrase is used. "I picked up the dog and bone." "I picked up the phone."

Bit of differentation there.

Me old china :D

Trans:

Hello friend! I knew that journey well once upon a time. I travelled First Class. Excellent! Unfortunately I used to drink a lot of beer on the flight and I generally lost consciousness before the aircraft landed at Mumbai. I suspect the cabin staff may have interfered with my drinks though. However I must say that I only ever drank because I found myself sitting next to one of those interminable bores who doesn't know when to stop talking. So it was only perceived by me as a 12 hour journey which is very good.

I do like Australia. But the blowflies are a nuisance. One has to constantly wave one's hand in front of one's face to deter them. And there are many species that are deleterious to humans. I was persuaded to enter some fairly isolated rural areas by someone, if I find him again I'll ensure he enters the status of eunuch. I was under the impression I'd be having sex with lots of women, not driving for days along isolated bush tracks!

But on balance it is a wonderful place. Americans will love it!

Give it a try!

End trans:

Great Trans! I learned my Ozzie lingo from reading your online papers, and a few Oz based message boards!

One thing: Americans aren't Seppos. We're Yanks! ;)

Sometimes better known as Bloody Yanks. Depending upon the speaker. :lol:

Unless I'm mistaken (Colin? Diuretic?) 'seppos' is derived from the cockney rhyming slang for Yanks.

Probably Bob, as I mentioned (long time after your post) it's an unusual one in that it only uses part of the rhyme - Septic Tank. But it does have what has been called the "great Australian diminutive" of putting an "o" at the end.

Australian slang is a mix. Cockney is a definite source but so is Yiddish and Arabic and Hebrew (from WWI and WWII). It's quite eclectic. There's a lot of Irish in it too.

I always thought Seppos was slang for the Brits. :lol:

You probably mean the English. Aussies generally tend to reserve their most barbed remarks for the English, not the Brits (which includes the Scots and Welsh). In fact, Aussies and Scots tend to be united by their historical animosity towards the English, along with the dozens of other countries who don't like us either. Oh well.

As far as I'm aware, 'seppos' it's a derivation of the rhyming slang "Septic Tanks" (Yanks).

Don't worry. Aussies have a VAST arsenal of terms of abuse for the English, many of them significantly less creative than 'seppos'.

Australians can be very severe on non-Australians. In all seriousness I'm afraid there is more than a hint of xenophobia in the culture. Having said that once you're accepted you couldn't have a stronger bond. At the moment we're going through a burst of xenophobia concerning asylum seekers from Sri Lanka who are Tamils. It's a huge political issue because John Howard managed to tap the latent xenophobia in an election several years ago which he was on the cusp of losing but managed to win using an appeal to xenophobia. It goes by the name of the "Tampa Affair" (not the Bucs, it's the name of a ship). The strange thing about it is that with each wave of immigrants Australia simply adapts. So this latest hoo-hah should be seen for what it is, an appeal to a not very nice aspect of Australian culture that eventually gets over itself.

But I can envisage a scenario like this:

Me and me mate Carlo were having a few beers at the local pub and we got around to talking about these asylum seekers from Sri Lanka, these Tamils as they call 'em. Anyway we were having a good old discussion about 'em and in walked our old mate Ryk, his real name is Ryszard but no bastard can pronounce it so we all call him Ryk. So he wanders up to us and yells out, “hello you dupas!” Course we're all falling about at that. Carlo shyacks Ryk and tells him to buy his shout. The barman, Yanni, fills up the glasses and nods at Ryk this is on the golden tap so the publican, tight-arsed bastard named O'Reilly is buying this round only he doesn't know it. We drink up and after a few more beers we all decide we're bloody hungry and we start thinking about tucker. We go through the options. There's Tran's place, he does a bloody great pho but maybe we've all had too much liquid, don't want to be peeing everywhere do we? Milan's Grill is an option, bloody great cevapcici, kobasice, nah not tonight, might come back and bite us later. Still, we all feel like some spicy tucker so fish and chips is out. One more round and we agree, we'll continue this discussion about these Tamils at Mahendra's, they do a brilliant butter chicken and the roti is just right.

The Freemantle Doctor has just tickled my scrotum.

I freemantle my balls.

Forum List

Back