US - Australia travel

Diuretic

Permanently confused
Apr 26, 2006
South Australia est 1836
I was reading an item in the online version of The Age (a Melbourne newspaper, pretty good one too) and I found an interesting article.

I've had to put it here BECAUSE GUNNY HASN'T GOT A BLOODY OCEANIA FORUM!

Ahem, sorry about that :D

UNITED AIRLINES is vowing to take the fight to Qantas and Virgin Blue's long-haul offshoot, V Australia, on the highly contested Australia-US route.

United's chief executive and chairman, Glenn Tilton, has promised to maintain services on the route for the long term despite it turning from one of the most profitable routes in the world to a loss-maker within the last year.

The third-largest US airline recently beefed up its services between the US west coast and Australia by flying newly configured 747 aircraft which feature lie-flat beds in premium-class cabins. Qantas also operates its flagship aircraft, the double-decker A380, on the route.

''It's a hugely significant market for us and we are in that market for the long haul,'' Mr Tilton said in New York as Continental Airlines officially joined the Star Alliance.

More at link - United Airlines vows to take on Qantas, V Australia in air fare war

Anyway if the airfare war provides Norte Americanos with cheaper fares to get to Australia let me make a suggestion.

Get out of Sydney.

Not slagging Sydney, it's a wonderful city and if you're lucky enough to be flying in on an early morning flight and the pilots can take you over the Harbour so you can see the Bridge (it has to be capitalised) and the Opera House and so on then trust me you're in for a treat because it's a spectacular view. I admit I choke up a bit when I'm coming home and I see it like that.

But there is far more to Australia than Sydney, as good as it is. Problem is that this is a large country with a relatively small population and most of us live on the coast in cities and towns and much of the inland is sparsely populated but that'sd where there are some magical experiences waiting for you.

If you can get some sort of deal with an airline to travel from place to place within Australia that's good because compared to North American prices it's expensive to fly here. If you have lots of time of course on the road is good, but be careful at night, I guarantee the first wild kangaroo you see you'll be oohing and aahing but the seven hundreth marsupial bozo that tries to commit hari kiri by bouncing in front of your vehicle will drive you nuts.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts. I know well that North Americans regard the trip as long and arduous. It is. I've made it enough times to not look forward to it at all but sometimes you have to get on with it.

It is well worth a visit, and you may never leave.

It's okay we have parole now :D

Yes, but you have to serve it in WA.

Sure you will make lots of money mining, but you will loose it buying a house.

House prices there are stratospheric. And the miners have forced Qantas to take off full strength booze off their WA flights! :eek:

Spirits and full strength beer have been banned on intrastate Qantas flights in Western Australia because drunken mine workers have become too unruly.

New alcohol serving rules came into effect on October 26, removing full strength beer and spirits from offer on all flights within the state.

A Qantas spokeswoman on Friday said the new rules were designed to stem the number of drunken passengers on fly-in, fly-out routes to mining towns but would also apply on tourist routes.

"[The ban] had been escalated by the behaviour of mine workers," the spokeswoman said.

Drunk miners force full strength beer, spirits off Qantas

Who the bloody hell do they think they are - footy players??? :lol:

House prices there are stratospheric. And the miners have forced Qantas to take off full strength booze off their WA flights! :eek::

My hatred of miners only grows.

I would save the canary first in a mine disaster.

Don't forget the budgie smugglers JW :lol:

Classic Australian terms. I love it.

Mind you, last time I went to the beach I was bulging so much Greenpeace rushed out to return my great white whale back into the seas.

And this was after cold water "shrinkage"

Oh I say!

Last edited:
:lol:

Go to Google Images - search for "budgie smugglers" :lol:

i haven't searched but i'm guessing they're a lot like grape smugglers.

Sounds like it could be.

There's another phrase you hear now and again especially when someone is trying to describe the motion of the female rear end in a tight skirt - I've heard it described as "two Koalas fighting each other in a sack" :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back