Us and Them: The Liberal Concept of Belonging

Jack Fate

I'm Your Daddy
May 31, 2010
Northern Washington state
I found this interesting. The writer is a former radical liberal who is now a Christian Conservative.

Most Leftists enjoy thinking of themselves as colorblind philanthropists, hell-bent on erasing bigotry from the public mind, bringing every racial category into economic harmony, and uniting every culture in a sort of tolerant, egalitarian utopia. But is this self-assessment true?

In order to be truly multicultural, one has to have a tolerant approach to all other cultures, since -- coming from a postmodern, atheistic perspective -- there can be no right or wrong culture, and we all have to live peacefully with one another. But while most Leftists are increasingly tolerant of foreign cultures, their tendency toward domestic bigotry yields the assumption that multiculturalism is not truly multicultural, but is laden with racially based tendencies.

The entire OP at this site:
American Thinker: Us and Them: The Liberal Concept of Belonging

Last edited:
There's some validity to the piece, Jack. The author does not accurately summarize the NY Times report on white college students' college application problems, but o well. In the end, yes, it is hypocritical to nag others to be accepting, respectful and kind in words that are mocking, hateful or cruel.

Last edited:
There is a lot of truth to what he says because he has EXPERIENCED both extreme sides. He has gone from far left to far right. I did the same thing when I was around 30 years old. Jimmy Carter did it for me. Looks like Obama is going to do it for others.

Forum List

Back