US and Iraq Agree to Goals for Troop Cuts

Manuel

Jan 7, 2008
Sydney
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/19/world/middleeast/19iraq.html?ref=world

The United States and Iraq have agreed to set a “general time horizon” for the “further reduction of U.S. combat forces in Iraq” following the improvement in security conditions in the country, the White House said Friday.

The breakthrough, which was reached between President Bush and Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki in discussions via video link on Thursday, could lead to the successful completion of a long-term security agreement covering American operations in Iraq — from combat missions to detaining Iraqis — by the end of this month, a White House official said.

But, but...isn't that a signal for the terrorists to bide their time?

Can't you just be happy that troops will finally start coming home? It's better than nothing these days.

Quit being so damn sensitive about your hero, Duhbya.

LOL come on Rav, when have I ever given the impression that I like Bush, let alone that he's my "hero"?

I personally think he's one of the worst presidents we've had. I didn't vote for him either time.

Although, in 2000 I was 20 years old and politics was the last thing I was interested in. But I'd say that if I knew in 2000 what I know now, I would have potentially voted for Bush, being how his platform then was about the same as Ron Paul's is.

Last edited:
I applaud president bush for coming up with a 3 syllable word...

hor-i-zon

Oh sorry! I-di-ot is a 3 syllable word, isn't it?

Sounds promising.

Headlines often do.

What's are the details of this "agreement"?

The White House offered no specific dates for troop cuts,

In the statement, the White House insisted there would not be “an arbitrary date for withdrawal,” and again reiterated what has been Mr. Bush long-standing opposition to what he has called “an artificial timetable for withdrawal.”

However, a deal seems in reach by the end of this month only if dates for a specific timetable for troop reductions and other specific legal details governing military forces, known as a Status of Forces Agreement, are left to future talks.

You folks ever hear the expression "He's all hat and no cattle."?

That appears to me to be what this "agreement" amounts to.

I just hope Iraq is really acting on its own in seeking to speed troop withdrawal and not being urged by Iran. I don't know what the different factions will do when we stop paying them not to fight.

Oh wait, I guess we tax payers can pay them not to kill each other for a couple more years, right? NOT!

I just hope Iraq is really acting on its own in seeking to speed troop withdrawal and not being urged by Iran. I don't know what the different factions will do when we stop paying them not to fight.

Oh wait, I guess we tax payers can pay them not to kill each other for a couple more years, right? NOT!
That sounds like Affirmative Action in the USA!
Amazing, isn't it?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back