US and Canada At War

Not bad Isaac, though I never heard it from the Canadian side before! :)

Actually, the US and Britian were both weary of fighting by 1814, and both sides had hammered out a peace treeaty right about the same time as Jackson defeated the Brits at New Orleans. The news reached Washington and the rest of the East Coast at about the same time, giving the impression that the Brits sued for peace after New Orleans, when in fact that wasn't the case.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Not bad Isaac, though I never heard it from the Canadian side before! :)

Actually, the US and Britian were both weary of fighting by 1814, and both sides had hammered out a peace treeaty right about the same time as Jackson defeated the Brits at New Orleans. The news reached Washington and the rest of the East Coast at about the same time, giving the impression that the Brits sued for peace after New Orleans, when in fact that wasn't the case.

Ahh you're right! Wasn't that the Hartford Convention and treaty of Ghent?

Note:
I pooched the part about 54 40. That was President Polk's edict, which was unsuccesfully resolved to the 49th parallel in the Oregon Treaty. 54 40 or fight was Polk's campaign slogan.

In 1812 US just wanted to take over British North America period.

The Treaty og Ghent ended the war. The Hartford Convention was a bunch of New England Federalists proposing changes to the Constitution and trying to end the War of 1812 as soon as possible, and which considered secession if their terms were not met. The War ended before they could present their demands, word leaked about it, and the Federalist Party officially died.

"The last time the our good ole neighbour to the South invaded Canada, we beat their sorry ass and dragged it back to the good ole U ... S ...... of A."

Ah'll tell y'all wut. We Southern boys is gittin damn tard o' you Nanook of the North, blubber-suckin', eskimo wanna-be's makin fun of the good ole boys.

And as soon as we shovel the empty Pabst Blue Ribbon cans out of Billy-Bob's big wheel, four wheel drive Ram pickup, we're a-comin' up yonder to kick yore frilly frenchie asses.

Now then, I'm curious where your little diatribe came from, because it makes no sense. Perhaps it is proof that someone can still type even after a severe crack overdose. But if it was just a gratuitous shot to see how many people you could piss off, you missed the mark. You only succeeded in making a total ass of yourself. Congratulations.

Another entry on my "dipshit" list. :finger3:

Forum List

Back