Urban Meyer stepping down at Florida

Kat

Retired Mod
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2008
GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- With his wife and two of his three children sitting a few feet away, Urban Meyer didn't have to look very far to be reminded why he's leaving one of the premier jobs in college football.

It's all about family.

Meyer resigned from Florida on Wednesday, stepping down for the second time in less than a year. His first attempt, which lasted just a day, was for health reasons. This time it's to be a better husband and father.

Urban Meyer stepping down at Florida Gators - ESPN

He wanted to do it last year, and they wouldn't let him go. It was obvious his heart was not in it this year..

He wanted to do it last year, and they wouldn't let him go. It was obvious his heart was not in it this year..

I know what it's like when your heart is not into running a team.

A few years ago, I ventured into the world of fantasy baseball. I owned two teams in different leagues, and managed both of them to championships. Then I managed two football teams to second place.

The next season, I really didn't want to do it because managing the team just consumed me and drained me, but I did it anyway because my arm was twisted (almost to the point of rupturing tendons and ligaments). Those second seasons weren't as successful (third place finishes), and I decided to hang up my managerial shoes permanently.

A few years ago, I ventured into the world of fantasy baseball. I owned two teams in different leagues, and managed both of them to championships. Then I managed two football teams to second place.

The next season, I really didn't want to do it because managing the team just consumed me and drained me, but I did it anyway because my arm was twisted (almost to the point of rupturing tendons and ligaments). Those second seasons weren't as successful (third place finishes), and I decided to hang up my managerial shoes permanently.

:lol: smarty pants!

Actually some truth to that. I did baseball for 2 years...maybe 3...and having to work your team daily was a pain! Then of course was doing football.

Actually some truth to that. I did baseball for 2 years...maybe 3...and having to work your team daily was a pain! Then of course was doing football.

Yes, working the team daily was a pain. But the one thing I liked was that the stats in baseball are more concrete, and I know more of the players.

With football, each stat is weighted differently based on how the league wants its scoring. And the one game a week that happens with football results in essentially putting all of your eggs in one basket.

Yes, working the team daily was a pain. But the one thing I liked was that the stats in baseball are more concrete, and I know more of the players.

With football, each stat is weighted differently based on how the league wants its scoring. And the one game a week that happens with football results in essentially putting all of your eggs in one basket.

That is true too.

Meyer's next step will show his true character. If he goes to another school, he's a douche.

The real story I'm concerned with is who fills his position. Bobby Petrino is a rumored candidate. I really don't know if BP is interested, because he's currently negotiating his contract with Arkansas and has asked for a pretty big buyout clause. I think he realizes what he is building here, but he would be a DEADLY with Florida's recruiting base.

Dan Mullen is also a candidate, and I think the biggest possibility. He's a former Meyer assistant. I see Mullen going to Florida, and Gus Malzhan going to Mississippi State.

Meyer's next step will show his true character. If he goes to another school, he's a douche.

The real story I'm concerned with is who fills his position. Bobby Petrino is a rumored candidate. I really don't know if BP is interested, because he's currently negotiating his contract with Arkansas and has asked for a pretty big buyout clause. I think he realizes what he is building here, but he would be a DEADLY with Florida's recruiting base.

Dan Mullen is also a candidate, and I think the biggest possibility. He's a former Meyer assistant. I see Mullen going to Florida, and Gus Malzhan going to Mississippi State.

Petrino was 2nd choice when Meyer was hired.....but they are saying Meyer will be involved in the selection, and it may well be Mullen. We'll know soon enough, I am sure.

This whole thing has my stomach in a knot. Rumors have Petrino at the top of Florida's list. They, of course, laugh at his $3 million buyout, and they can certainly compete with whatever Arkansas is prepared to offer.

Arkansas, however, is getting ready to expand our facilities at Petrino's request, and I hope he's in this thing for the long haul. But how do you turn down a dream job like Florida?

Sigh...until Petrino openly denounces the job or another coach accepts, I won't sit comfortably. I've never liked the "job hopper" title Petrino was given after Atlanta. I think Atlanta knows that Petrino was no better fit than Petrino felt like Atlanta was a fit for him and his family, but it looks good on them to make him to be the bad guy.

This whole thing has my stomach in a knot. Rumors have Petrino at the top of Florida's list. They, of course, laugh at his $3 million buyout, and they can certainly compete with whatever Arkansas is prepared to offer.

Arkansas, however, is getting ready to expand our facilities at Petrino's request, and I hope he's in this thing for the long haul. But how do you turn down a dream job like Florida?

Sigh...until Petrino openly denounces the job or another coach accepts, I won't sit comfortably. I've never liked the "job hopper" title Petrino was given after Atlanta. I think Atlanta knows that Petrino was no better fit than Petrino felt like Atlanta was a fit for him and his family, but it looks good on them to make him to be the bad guy.

I do know that feeling you have. Regardless, everything will be okay..

The Petrino rumors have fizzled a bit. Word is that Petrino wants to be here next year.

Right now, Bob Stoops is the talk of the rumor mill. However, I don't see him leaving OU. I still think Mullen will be at Florida next year, and Gus Malzahn will be at Mississippi State.

Florida wants a new coach in place by Jan 1, they can't even talk to Petrino until Jan 5. Gruden will be the next coach at Florida.

Meyer resigned from Florida on Wednesday, stepping down for the second time in less than a year. His first attempt, which lasted just a day, was for health reasons. This time it's to be a better husband and father.
That's code for either NCAA violations or he was caught fucking a cheerleader.

According to insiders, Petrino was the current target on UF's list when his contract extension was announced. Florida panicked they they couldn't find a coach they wanted, and Muschamp was their last resort.

Muschamp to UF is an absolutely horrible fit, IMO.

They will run him off in 3 years. Nowhere near enough offense to satisfy the Swamp, and his defense is suspect at best.

To me, the interesting question this year is where does Malzahn wind up? No way he will go back to Auburn, where the cupboard is horribly bare for next year and they lose 17 of 22 starters.

They will run him off in 3 years. Nowhere near enough offense to satisfy the Swamp, and his defense is suspect at best.

To me, the interesting question this year is where does Malzahn wind up? No way he will go back to Auburn, where the cupboard is horribly bare for next year and they lose 17 of 22 starters.

There aren't as many appealing head coaching jobs out there, which is where I think Malzahn wants his next step to be. Vanderbilt is about his only hope, and that may be a good starting point for Malzahn. None of the big schools are going to be interested in a guy with no head coaching experience at the college level.

Oddly enough, if he wants to stick around as OC, Florida will definitely need someone to do the job.

Last edited:

There aren't as many appealing head coaching jobs out there, which is where I think Malzahn wants his next step to be. Vanderbilt is about his only hope, and that may be a good starting point for Malzahn. None of the big schools are going to be interested in a guy with no head coaching experience at the college level.

Oddly enough, if he wants to stick around as OC, Florida will definitely need someone to do the job.

Rumors are that after the NC game Vandy will offer Gus $3M/yr for 6yrs. He'd be an idiot not take that even if Vandy is a career ender.

Yep. Supposedly they are ready to start competing with other SEC schools in terms of coaching quality, which means they'll have to pony up the cash to do so. Even at $3m, he's barely in the top half of the SEC.

According to insiders, Petrino was the current target on UF's list when his contract extension was announced. Florida panicked they they couldn't find a coach they wanted, and Muschamp was their last resort.

that would be incorrect since Florida hired Muschamp before they could even approach Petrino who is officially off limits to other schools until after our bowl game. They hired who they wanted.

Forum List

Back