Urban Meyer stepping down at Florida

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Kat, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Kat

Kat Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,563
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- With his wife and two of his three children sitting a few feet away, Urban Meyer didn't have to look very far to be reminded why he's leaving one of the premier jobs in college football.

It's all about family.

Meyer resigned from Florida on Wednesday, stepping down for the second time in less than a year. His first attempt, which lasted just a day, was for health reasons. This time it's to be a better husband and father.

Urban Meyer stepping down at Florida Gators - ESPN

2. Kat

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,563
    He wanted to do it last year, and they wouldn't let him go. It was obvious his heart was not in it this year..

3. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    I know what it's like when your heart is not into running a team.

A few years ago, I ventured into the world of fantasy baseball. I owned two teams in different leagues, and managed both of them to championships. Then I managed two football teams to second place.

The next season, I really didn't want to do it because managing the team just consumed me and drained me, but I did it anyway because my arm was twisted (almost to the point of rupturing tendons and ligaments). Those second seasons weren't as successful (third place finishes), and I decided to hang up my managerial shoes permanently.

4. Kat

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,563

:lol: smarty pants!

Actually some truth to that. I did baseball for 2 years...maybe 3...and having to work your team daily was a pain! Then of course was doing football.

5. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    Yes, working the team daily was a pain. But the one thing I liked was that the stats in baseball are more concrete, and I know more of the players.

With football, each stat is weighted differently based on how the league wants its scoring. And the one game a week that happens with football results in essentially putting all of your eggs in one basket.

6. Kat

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,563
    That is true too.

7. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Meyer's next step will show his true character. If he goes to another school, he's a douche.

The real story I'm concerned with is who fills his position. Bobby Petrino is a rumored candidate. I really don't know if BP is interested, because he's currently negotiating his contract with Arkansas and has asked for a pretty big buyout clause. I think he realizes what he is building here, but he would be a DEADLY with Florida's recruiting base.

Dan Mullen is also a candidate, and I think the biggest possibility. He's a former Meyer assistant. I see Mullen going to Florida, and Gus Malzhan going to Mississippi State.

8. Kat

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,563
    Petrino was 2nd choice when Meyer was hired.....but they are saying Meyer will be involved in the selection, and it may well be Mullen. We'll know soon enough, I am sure.

9. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    This whole thing has my stomach in a knot. Rumors have Petrino at the top of Florida's list. They, of course, laugh at his $3 million buyout, and they can certainly compete with whatever Arkansas is prepared to offer.

Arkansas, however, is getting ready to expand our facilities at Petrino's request, and I hope he's in this thing for the long haul. But how do you turn down a dream job like Florida?

Sigh...until Petrino openly denounces the job or another coach accepts, I won't sit comfortably. I've never liked the "job hopper" title Petrino was given after Atlanta. I think Atlanta knows that Petrino was no better fit than Petrino felt like Atlanta was a fit for him and his family, but it looks good on them to make him to be the bad guy.

10. Kat

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,563
    I do know that feeling you have. Regardless, everything will be okay..