Upside down flag..

So does it mean they disrespect the USA?

i would say they disrespect the flag, at most. after 9/11 bunches of well meaning people put flags out 24/7 in all kinds of weather, flew them off their cars til they got all tattered, etc- i don't think it's disrespect so much as ignorance of flag etiquette.
I was taught flag ettiquette as a young kid in the Boy Scouts.

as was i and my son. great organization.

Special note:

It is law, and an old sign of respect, to burn the flag in many cases. You cannot toss it in the garbage, that's illegal, when the flag is no longer suitable you are suppose to burn it in respect for what it stands, tossing it in the garbage is far more insulting. So here's something you can do, when it is burnt in protest, salute the burning flag to show your respect, it takes the steam out of the protest because then they are just doing their civil duty and disposing of an unusable flag in the proper manner.

i have no idea. i don't recall any specific incident by either left or right.

i will say that hanging the flag upside down as a political protest is not something i would choose to do-neither would i burn one, but i consider both legitimate, albeit highly distasteful to me, forms of protest.

that, to me, is the irony of the flag, what it stands for allows you to trash it, if you so choose. i choose not to.

My gripe wasn't really directed at you, Del. I don't know if you were on the board yet, but I remember a whole to-do a while back about some guy who chose to hang the flag upside down. The fake patriots lost their mind that the "symbol" was being disrespected. My feeling was that the "symbol" does, as you said allow you to disrespect it in protest. I wouldn't choose to either.... but I certainly wouldn't threaten to go beat the person to a pulp like the fake patriots did during the matter I mentioned.

I thought that was very democratic of them and truly represented the value of free speech that supposedly IS one of our values.

Some thoughts on the American Flag:

When I see it flown during times of duress for our country, like when 9/11 happened, it brought great pride and tears in my eyes. People of all walks of life waved/put out their flags.
The picture of Iwo Jima, and the men putting up the American flag, still stirs me, for all it stands for.

My dad proudly flying the flag on our front porch while I was growing up. He is a veteran, as is my brother. I salute all those who have or do serve in the military, and what our flag symbolizes for you.

The flag in my classroom at school, and listening to children of all different walks of life saying the pledge (if they choose to that is) with their little hands over their hearts.

I didn't vote for Bush the last 2 elections, but I would never even DREAM of flying the American Flag upside down.

o fuck me running...after 9/11 a bunch of damned patrioteers put out their flags made in china....big fucking deal...do you really salute all those who served in the military...do you salute willam calley? or the soldiers who raped the 14 yr old in japan? just some valid questions

i would say they disrespect the flag, at most. after 9/11 bunches of well meaning people put flags out 24/7 in all kinds of weather, flew them off their cars til they got all tattered, etc- i don't think it's disrespect so much as ignorance of flag etiquette.

as long as your not gay and believe in god.....yea great organization....got to love the ones that take taxpayers money and discrimanate

Ever notice all those plastic flags ... oh yeah, that's really respecting the flag. Most wind up on the ground and get walked all over. That pisses me off, done in protest is fine, but just disregarding it is wrong.

i have no idea. i don't recall any specific incident by either left or right.

i will say that hanging the flag upside down as a political protest is not something i would choose to do-neither would i burn one, but i consider both legitimate, albeit highly distasteful to me, forms of protest.

that, to me, is the irony of the flag, what it stands for allows you to trash it, if you so choose. i choose not to.

My gripe wasn't really directed at you, Del. I don't know if you were on the board yet, but I remember a whole to-do a while back about some guy who chose to hang the flag upside down. The fake patriots lost their mind that the "symbol" was being disrespected. My feeling was that the "symbol" does, as you said allow you to disrespect it in protest. I wouldn't choose to either.... but I certainly wouldn't threaten to go beat the person to a pulp like the fake patriots did during the matter I mentioned.

I thought that was very democratic of them and truly represented the value of free speech that supposedly IS one of our values.

i don't think i was here, but i didn't think you were directing it at me, either.

it is pretty funny how tough some people act on a keyboard as opposed to real life, though, in a really stupid kinda way.:lol:

Some thoughts on the American Flag:

When I see it flown during times of duress for our country, like when 9/11 happened, it brought great pride and tears in my eyes. People of all walks of life waved/put out their flags.
The picture of Iwo Jima, and the men putting up the American flag, still stirs me, for all it stands for.

My dad proudly flying the flag on our front porch while I was growing up. He is a veteran, as is my brother. I salute all those who have or do serve in the military, and what our flag symbolizes for you.

The flag in my classroom at school, and listening to children of all different walks of life saying the pledge (if they choose to that is) with their little hands over their hearts.

I didn't vote for Bush the last 2 elections, but I would never even DREAM of flying the American Flag upside down.

o fuck me running...after 9/11 a bunch of damned patrioteers put out their flags made in china....big fucking deal...do you really salute all those who served in the military...do you salute willam calley? or the soldiers who raped the 14 yr old in japan? just some valid questions

Damn bones, that was harsh.

A few bad soliders don't negate what those who have served our country value.

A flag is a symbol of many things to me. I never said it had to be the same for you, did I?

• Thanks
Reactions: del

as long as your not gay and believe in god.....yea great organization....got to love the ones that take taxpayers money and discrimanate

as far as i know, boy scouts don't take tax money, and on the local level at least, it's don't ask, don't tell on both the gay and god issue. sex isn't really part of the program, and while god is certainly mentioned in the oath, that's about the extent of it.

you having a bad day?

I served to protect the rights of morons that want to burn the flag. I say fuck 'em, and I'd kick someone's ass that did it if I were in close proximity, but I don't get bent out of shape if they do it. However, flying the flag upside down IS a legitimate distress call; to do it as a political statement is not so much disrespectful to the flag, but minimizes it's utility as a true call for help.

• Thanks
[/U][/I][/B]

as far as i know, boy scouts don't take tax money, and on the local level at least, it's don't ask, don't tell on both the gay and god issue. sex isn't really part of the program, and while god is certainly mentioned in the oath, that's about the extent of it.

you having a bad day?

yeap

[/U][/I][/B]

you having a bad day?

yeap

well, i hope it gets better for you. you're good peeps, bones.

The flag's a symbol. When it's flown upside down it's a symbol of the country in distress.

echo didnt mean to sound so harsh...but people who fly the flags made in china make me crazy...just like the suckers with support our troops ribbons who walk by the dav booth and dont donate or buy a cheap ass buck raffle ticket....i dont believe in supporting any cause without question....i guess growing up as an "army brat" i know that its not all rainbows and roses....the army has all kinds of people...from the great ones...to the downright fake ones...

perhaps i should have simply not said anything...o hell we know that aint happening...then del with the boy scouts....that just kinda pushed me over the line...not that it would take much right now....

the boy scouts are a good solid organization...but do some damned stupid shit at times...but then i guess everyone does

• Thanks
[/U][/I][/B]

you having a bad day?

It is now only because they were forced by law. The interview was removed from the source I have, but they even said it on national TV.

I served to protect the rights of morons that want to burn the flag. I say fuck 'em, and I'd kick someone's ass that did it if I were in close proximity, but I don't get bent out of shape if they do it. However, flying the flag upside down IS a legitimate distress call; to do it as a political statement is not so much disrespectful to the flag, but minimizes it's utility as a true call for help.

In the Valley of Elah (2007)

Have you seen "In the Valley of Elah" ?

echo didnt mean to sound so harsh...but people who fly the flags made in china make me crazy...just like the suckers with support our troops ribbons who walk by the dav booth and dont donate or buy a cheap ass buck raffle ticket....i dont believe in supporting any cause without question....i guess growing up as an "army brat" i know that its not all rainbows and roses....the army has all kinds of people...from the great ones...to the downright fake ones...

perhaps i should have simply not said anything...o hell we know that aint happening...then del with the boy scouts....that just kinda pushed me over the line...not that it would take much right now....

the boy scouts are a good solid organization...but do some damned stupid shit at times...but then i guess everyone does

It's all good. Like del said, you're good people. Say what's on your mind, you know that's what it's all about! We don't have to agree on everything!

I get your point about the crap made in China....and the people who can spend $100 dollars on food, booze and cigs (or whatever) and then walk by the Salvation Army Kettle and not throw in some change....or what not. To each his own then.

This is American after all, anyone can do and say whatever they want, as long as they aren't breaking any laws!

[/U][/I][/B]

you having a bad day?

It is now only because they were forced by law. The interview was removed from the source I have, but they even said it on national TV.

what is now? sorry, i'm not following you

you having a bad day?

what is now? sorry, i'm not following you

They were banning people who were even suspected of being gay from the scouting program until someone sued.

The flag's a symbol. When it's flown upside down it's a symbol of the country in distress.

Of course it is. BUT, I don't call 9-11 when I've misplaced my wallet, simply because I'm "in distress". I suspect that you know of the story of the wolf and the boy? The utility of a distress call loses its importance if someone chooses to use it as a political statement.

Forum List

Back