Upside down flag..

Wolf

un-american
Feb 7, 2009
Guy down the road has an flag pole in his yard.. Flies the American flag all the time..

Prior to the election they also had a McCain/Palin yard sign near the road..

Ever since the election the American flag has been flying upside down..

Anyone else notice this type of thing near them??

Flying the flag upside down is a sign of distress. But, like calling 911, should be used only in a real emergency. While I can see the political statement being made, it is nonetheless disresptectful.

Flying the flag upside down is a sign of distress. But, like calling 911, should be used only in a real emergency. While I can see the political statement being made, it is nonetheless disresptectful.

So does it mean they disrespect the USA?

Guy down the road has an flag pole in his yard.. Flies the American flag all the time..

Why don't you go to his house and ask him why he does it?

Why don't you go to his house and ask him why he does it?

Its a free contry.. he has chosen to do this.. some say disrespctful other say its pure protest.. Im not that curious to know his story.. just wondering if others have seen this stuff after the election..

Seems like he/they doesnt like the election results and wondered if this is going on in other parts of the country...

i would say they disrespect the flag, at most. after 9/11 bunches of well meaning people put flags out 24/7 in all kinds of weather, flew them off their cars til they got all tattered, etc- i don't think it's disrespect so much as ignorance of flag etiquette.

i would say they disrespect the flag, at most. after 9/11 bunches of well meaning people put flags out 24/7 in all kinds of weather, flew them off their cars til they got all tattered, etc- i don't think it's disrespect so much as ignorance of flag etiquette.

wasn't it the right wingers who freaked out when some purported leftie hung his flag upside down?

Certainly it can't then be a legitimate sign of protest, can it?... unless of course it's done by a right wingnut.......

wasn't it the right wingers who freaked out when some purported leftie hung his flag upside down?

Certainly it can't then be a legitimate sign of protest, can it?... unless of course it's done by a right wingnut.......

i have no idea. i don't recall any specific incident by either left or right.

i will say that hanging the flag upside down as a political protest is not something i would choose to do-neither would i burn one, but i consider both legitimate, albeit highly distasteful to me, forms of protest.

that, to me, is the irony of the flag, what it stands for allows you to trash it, if you so choose. i choose not to.

Its a legal, but disrespectful form of protest.

Then again, all protest is a form of disrespect, isn't it?

Some thoughts on the American Flag:

When I see it flown during times of duress for our country, like when 9/11 happened, it brought great pride and tears in my eyes. People of all walks of life waved/put out their flags.

The picture of Iwo Jima, and the men putting up the American flag, still stirs me, for all it stands for.

My dad proudly flying the flag on our front porch while I was growing up. He is a veteran, as is my brother. I salute all those who have or do serve in the military, and what our flag symbolizes for you.

The flag in my classroom at school, and listening to children of all different walks of life saying the pledge (if they choose to that is) with their little hands over their hearts.

I didn't vote for Bush the last 2 elections, but I would never even DREAM of flying the American Flag upside down.

Last edited:
Its a legal, but disrespectful form of protest.

Then again, all protest is a form of disrespect, isn't it?
I have to agree with you there, it is disrespectful to the flag.Nevermind if it is protesting a President or not, it is disprespectful to our country.

By the way if you guys have a worn out flag which you are not suppose to fly the BOy Scouts will dispose of them properly for you which most might already know!

I was taught flag ettiquette as a young kid in the Boy Scouts.

I don't think flying the flag after 9/11 was appropriate. After something like that, you fly the flag at half mast, not upside down. Flying upside down is used as a sign of distress or danger, or in the case of emergency. I don't agree with this guy flying his flag upside down because he didn't agree with the election outcome. But it could be that he's showing a sign of distress because of the state of the country right now, and so far, Obama hasn't done anything to ease that feeling. Still, flying the flag upside down is only appropriate when you're calling for help, for real.

I have to laugh at all you who think it is disrespectful to fly the flag upside down, but think it's okay for some kook to burn it.

It is NOT disrespect to the flag itself, nor the nation, to fly the flag upside down. It is an inappropriate use of a distress signal. Symbollically, it is only disrespecful to the current administration.

And just to clarify, I don't agree with the inappropriate use of a distress symbol as a form of political protest.

This country is in distress and has been for a long time.

Its a symbol and if this guy feels his country is in distress I see nothing wrong with symbolizing it this way.

I would never do it or desicrate a flag. Not for the flags sake but for the sake of the people who would be highly disturbed by the action. I would fight to the death to keep the right for any individual American to make that choice themselves. Its called freedom of speech.

Its not the symbol that is important its the people and their freedoms which are important.

I don't think flying the flag after 9/11 was appropriate. After something like that, you fly the flag at half mast, not upside down. Flying upside down is used as a sign of distress or danger, or in the case of emergency. I don't agree with this guy flying his flag upside down because he didn't agree with the election outcome. But it could be that he's showing a sign of distress because of the state of the country right now, and so far, Obama hasn't done anything to ease that feeling. Still, flying the flag upside down is only appropriate when you're calling for help, for real.

just to be clear, i wasn't refering to the flag being flown upside down after 9/11-just flown under inappropriate conditions (bad weather, darkness w/o lights, tattered, etc) i agree with you on the other points.

Forum List

Back