Upside down American flag seized by police

§177. Conduct during hoisting, lowering or passing of flag

During the ceremony of hoisting or lowering the flag or when the flag is passing in a parade or in review, all persons present except those in uniform should face the flag and stand at attention with the right hand over the heart. Those present in uniform should render the military salute. When not in uniform, men should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Aliens should stand at attention. The salute to the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.

Could I be arrested if I do not place my right hand over my heart when present at a flag lowering?

No. There is no set punishment for violating the Flag Code and to my knowledge this man wasn't arrested, his flag was taken, then given back.

I recognized in my post that it is a distress call, but he wasn't under any distress. He isn't using it to bring notice to veterans rights, he is protesting the fact that he can't have a god damned liquor license. It was disrespectful. He knows it. The cops knew it, I know it and you know it.

When not in actual distress, flying the flag upside down is a desecration.

But is it a criminal offence?

I don't think so.

Removing it was, though.

How was removing it a criminal offence if it was causing public disturbance. Police officers can remove car stereos if they are too loud, same concept applies.

But is it a criminal offence?

I don't think so.

Removing it was, though.

How was removing it a criminal offence if it was causing public disturbance. Police officers can remove car stereos if they are too loud, same concept applies.

CW, that's a new one to me. Cite you or make you turn it down, yes. But remove it altogether?That seems a little out there. Now I know that they can make you remove window tint.

Private property is private property. The police had no right to go on his land and seize his property considering no laws were broken.

The Supreme Court has ruled that burning a flag is free speech. So certainly flying a flag upside down or any other way is just as legally acceptable.

Those cops had no warrant to seize a citizens private property and should be brought up on charges.

Flag burning isn't covered in the US Code. This however is governed by the US Code. The flag can only be flown upside down in dire distress of extreme danger to life or property. This man was in violation of federal law and his actions were causing public disorder. The cops didn't need a warrant.

The Flag Code is a codification of customs and rules established for the use of
certain civilians and civilian groups. No penalty or punishment is specified in the
Flag Code for display of the flag of the United States in a manner other than as
suggested.

So tell me now do the cops have to seize ALL flags that are improperly displayed?

Surely the law must be applied equally to all flag code offenders.

I don't think so.

Removing it was, though.

CW, that's a new one to me. Cite you or make you turn it down, yes. But remove it altogether?That seems a little out there. Now I know that they can make you remove window tint.

In certain states, this is the law. The police can remove a car stereo. Wisconsin is one of those states I believe.

Forum List

Back