Update: Liberal talk Radio

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
Liberal talk-radio network set for debut

By Jennifer Harper
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Conservatives, plug your ears: Liberal talk radio is finally here.
Al Franken and a host of garrulous progressives ease onto the airwaves tomorrow morning on America Left, broadcasting live from 6 a.m. to midnight on weekdays via XM Satellite Radio and three AM radio stations — in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles.
Mr. Franken will debut at noon with "The O'Franken Factor," a three-hour daily show airing opposite conservative host Rush Limbaugh, who has 20 million listeners. Mr. Franken once wrote a book titled "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot" and has named his show as a parody of "The O'Reilly Factor," hosted by Bill O'Reilly of Fox News.
Mr. Franken, who has scuffled with conservatives for years, is primed for a fight.

"My first priority is to get sued by a right-wing jerk in order to generate interest in my new show," Mr. Franken said in a statement earlier this year.

Full story

Hey Al, here is an idea. Try growing interest for your new show by talking about ideas people want to hear and make it interesting.
Oh well hoping to be sued will probably be much easier.

Hahahahaha "The O'Franken Factor" That's a great one! Hahaha...

:slap:

He's setting himself up for failure, he'll have a hard time getting the liberal Limbaugh listeners to switch over even. They love to hate Rush too much.

Actually, I'll probably start listening to Al Franken just so I can justify feeling grumpy and agitated.

Edit: Their one bastion of hope is Alan Colmes... I may not agree with much of what he says but he's a very intelligent guy.

Al Franken and Ben Stein had a public debate at my school. It was called the Franken-Stein debate. Anyway, Al Franken is well spoken, but other than that, I wasn't impressed, although it was one of the most amusing things I've ever seen.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
Mr. Franken once wrote a book titled "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot" and has named his show as a parody of "The O'Reilly Factor," hosted by Bill O'Reilly of Fox News.
Wow, he sounds intelligent. :rolleyes:

"My first priority is to get sued by a right-wing jerk in order to generate interest in my new show," Mr. Franken said in a statement earlier this year.
I'm finding this more and more common with liberals. It's like they don't say anything to support themselves, instead they try to just say anything to piss off the right side. It's disgusting.

Al Franken and Ben Stein had a public debate at my school. It was called the Franken-Stein debate. Anyway, Al Franken is well spoken, but other than that, I wasn't impressed, although it was one of the most amusing things I've ever seen.

Hobbit, where did you see them at? They came to the UofA and it was great. Al Franken and Ben Stein were both great and even autographed whatever you had.

Was it a debate or a comedy show? Ben Stein is a really intelligent guy but he is not someone I would want defending conservative values. He is now much more an actor than a political analyist... in fact, has he ever spoken out politically besides writing speeches for Nixon?

Jitters plague Franken during show's debut

BY BRIAN LAMBERT
--------------------------

"The O’Franken Factor," the marquee program of the new liberal network Air America Radio, starring Minnesotans Franken and Lanpher, debuted this morning. (It is heard locally, and temporarily, on WMNN 1330-AM from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. weekdays.) The first hour provided dollops of palpable, opening night jitters, satirical swagger and old-fashioned partisan invective in pretty much equal measure.

Franken, the "Saturday Night Live" alumnus and conservative-bashing best-selling author of "Rush Limbaugh Is a Big, Fat Idiot" and "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them," was clearly feeling the pressure of being the tent-pole of the much-publicized new network. His first few minutes, reading a script promising "A battle for truth, justice and indeed America itself ... not to be too grandiose," was funny enough, but was read with enough tension in his voice you’d have looked away in embarrassment were he performing stand-up in front of you.

Fortunately, Franken acknowledged his unfamiliarity with the tricks of the talk radio trade and the value he places on Lanpher, who sounded reassuringly poised. At least for the time being, Lanpher is cast in a kind of Mother Hen/Voice of Reason role. She kept Franken on his cues, introduced and re-ID’d guests and cut to commercials. Happily, her trademark laugh, so problematic for MPR, appears to have been unfettered here.

By the second hour, when former 9/11 Commission member Bob Kerrey came on, Franken found a comfort level, although the interview itself was a slightly more informal version of what you’d get on public radio.

--------------------------------

full story

Originally posted by MtnBiker
I heard a small clip of the show today. Franken certianly does not have a voice for radio.

I've been told I've got a great face for radio!

It won't last. This guy thinks he's got something on Rush and Sean H.? He has proved time and again he is a flaming idiot:banana: He is so far left,I wonder how serious the left even takes him.

They are going about this the entire wrong way. For one, they made a dumb decision putting him up against Rush. Second, they really have a poor spokesmen, and third and most importantly, they arent trying to follow the market.

The biggest mistake is that Rush is all show, he is entertainment. Franken is not.

Franken is real. He hasn't got a clue his true opinions are up against hype. In the market of entertainment, he thinks his voice has a place. How? I dunno.

Originally posted by badfish
Was it a debate or a comedy show? Ben Stein is a really intelligent guy but he is not someone I would want defending conservative values. He is now much more an actor than a political analyist... in fact, has he ever spoken out politically besides writing speeches for Nixon?

He's a great spokesman for conservative values. The truth is the truth. It's great on any person's lips.

Originally posted by NewGuy
The biggest mistake is that Rush is all show, he is entertainment. Franken is not.

Franken is real. He hasn't got a clue his true opinions are up against hype. In the market of entertainment, he thinks his voice has a place. How? I dunno.

Franken is a fool. Rush is a genius. You used to be cool, newguy. WHat happened? Your statements above are untenable.

Forum List

Back