Update: Discharged!

RGS, OTH is a form of admin. discharge. The first line states:

So evidently a administrative discharge can be other than honarable.

All "administrative" means is that the discharge was ordered by your CO before your enlistment expires.

I believe it actually is the most severe form, because any discharge worse than that must come from a court martial. Those would be "bad conduct discharge" and "dishonorable discharge".

So RGS is in fact wrong about that.

You can also receive a "general, under honorable conditions" discharge that is administrative, and that type of discharge still provides you with VA benefits like an Honorable discharge would.

This is correct. It is the most severe type of discharge that can be awarded at an Article 15 hearing.

My unit lost abotu 15 Airmen due to a sting that was run because they were all a part of this ecstasy ring. Some were selling large amounts of it, others were just using.

About 5 of them were court martialed and got Bad conduct discharges after serving time in the brig, and the rest got 'Other than honorable' discharges with Article 15's.

I'm surprised RGS doesn't know this stuff.

An administrative Discharge can not be other then honorable. That requires an action by a court. She can be reduced in rank with out a court action. That can happen several ways. I am not sure how they are denying her benefits but the article clearly says administrative discharge.

An OTH is the most severe form of administrative discharge.

All "administrative" means is that the discharge was ordered by your CO before your enlistment expires.

I believe it actually is the most severe form, because any discharge worse than that must come from a court martial. Those would be "bad conduct discharge" and "dishonorable discharge".

You can also receive a "general, under honorable conditions" discharge that is administrative, and that type of discharge still provides you with VA benefits like an Honorable discharge would.

Since you served you know an admin discharge is level with a medical one. it is NOT a negative type situation. You know this.

Since you served you know an admin discharge is level with a medical one. it is NOT a negative type situation. You know this.

It CAN be negative, but it can also not be negative as well.

It doesn't automatically imply punitive. Like I said, it simply means your CO has ordered you to separate from the military before your enlistment officially expires.

You can receive an administrative discharge for a medical reason.

The funny thing is, she served more than 90% of you fucking chicken hawks in here. :)

Sorry I spent 16 years in the Marine Corps dumb ass. How long did YOU serve Nazi boy?

20 in the navy

84-88 Nas South weymouth ma. (closed now...bummer). GSE and Cal Lab (900 and 670). Worked with a lot of marines from MAG-49 who were tad to AIMD. Good guys. Real marines.
88-92 VF-301 F-14 in Miramar, hanger 5. Best and most challenging time in my career. Loved fighters.
92-94 VAW-88. E-2c's Great dets. Panama and Gitmo were interesting. The reason it was only a two year tour was because that is when the marines came to miramar and they shut us out. :( At least I was there for the decom.
94-98, North Island Ca. Instructor duty. (nec 9502). I really enjoyed teaching.
98-02 VR-57. C-9's then. They upgraded since though. Most and best dets ever. Sigonella siciliy, Rota Spain, Atsugi Japan, etc etc.
02-04 HC-85. Interesting way to end my career. Helo's..and yes, they do a lot of short ship dets. I waited until the end to finally start doing any ship time..lol

Any other questions E-7? By the way, you "retired" at 16 years? Interesting.

Back when I joined the Navy, in 1969, females could join the Navy but could not have children or become pregnant without being discharged from the service. They could get married but not have any children while on active duty. Seems like it made life in the military a lot easier this way. As we have progressed in time to whereas a woman in the military is free to have children, to me it seems to add a lot of problems that weren't problem back in 1969. Maybe sometimes change isn't always for the better. If this Army female had of been discharged when she became pregnant, or never allowed to join the military because she had children, this whole episode would not be an issue now.

The funny thing is, she served more than 90% of you fucking chicken hawks in here. :)

Sorry I spent 16 years in the Marine Corps dumb ass. How long did YOU serve Nazi boy?

20 in the navy

84-88 Nas South weymouth ma. (closed now...bummer). GSE and Cal Lab (900 and 670). Worked with a lot of marines from MAG-49 who were tad to AIMD. Good guys. Real marines.
88-92 VF-301 F-14 in Miramar, hanger 5. Best and most challenging time in my career. Loved fighters.
92-94 VAW-88. E-2c's Great dets. Panama and Gitmo were interesting. The reason it was only a two year tour was because that is when the marines came to miramar and they shut us out. :( At least I was there for the decom.
98-02 VR-57. C-9's then. They upgraded since though. Most and best dets ever. Sigonella siciliy, Rota Spain, Atsugi Japan, etc etc.
02-04 HC-85. Interesting way to end my career. Helo's..and yes, they do a lot of short ship dets. I waited until the end to finally start doing any ship time..lol

Called a medical retirement. 5 years on temporary retired list followed by permanent retirement. My retirement became permanent in 1999. short of the 5 year mark by 6 months.

20 in the navy

Called a medical retirement. 5 years on temporary retired list followed by permanent retirement. My retirement became permanent in 1999. short of the 5 year mark by 6 months.

You asked me a question on how long did I serve...I answered. Comments?...thats one thing...now the other...you got a dd214 but only actually served 16 years? I hav never heard of this. Good for you.

by the way, I am 40% myself so technically I am considered "disabled" as well.

Last edited:
You get a DD214 for any length of time spent in the military. It's how military service is officially recorded upon discharge.

Yeah, you get a 214 whether you spend 20 years or 20 days.

Why is a 16 year retirement and a 214 strange?

You get one after you have performed active duty or at least 90 consecutive days of active duty training.

My question is, how did he recieve a RETIREMENT at 16..? I have only seen one time in my career where they allowed sailors to retire at 16 years and that was in 95 if memory serves me correctly. I know a female who did it. She received some kind of weird retirement pay due to the fact that she only served 16 years...vice 20. Early retirements. They stopped doing that quickly after. I also witnessed once where they allowed certain ranks to stay in longer. For example, they were allowing E-6's to stay in for 22, vice twenty. E-7's/8/9's to stay two years longer as well. Again, this didnt last long at all. That was a weird time.

Last edited:
☭proletarian☭;2001409 said:
FOXNews.com - Single-Mom Discharged From Army After Refusing Deployment

Wins all around. The Army gets rid of an unreliable soldier who refused to fulfill her obligation and make good on her oath, and she has all the time she needs to be with her child.

Maybe she just felt guilty about being involved in war crimes while fighting an illegal war in two sovereign nations ?
Three if you count Pakistan.

Maybe you're a fuckwit ...

What do you mean, maybe?

This is correct. It is the most severe type of discharge that can be awarded at an Article 15 hearing.

My unit lost abotu 15 Airmen due to a sting that was run because they were all a part of this ecstasy ring. Some were selling large amounts of it, others were just using.

About 5 of them were court martialed and got Bad conduct discharges after serving time in the brig, and the rest got 'Other than honorable' discharges with Article 15's.

Does it vary across branches?

You get one after you have performed active duty or at least 90 consecutive days of active duty training.

My question is, how did he recieve a RETIREMENT at 16..? I have only seen one time in my career where they allowed sailors to retire at 16 years and that was in 95 if memory serves me correctly. I know a female who did it. She received some kind of weird retirement pay due to the fact that she only served 16 years...vice 20. Early retirements. They stopped doing that quickly after. I also witnessed once where they allowed certain ranks to stay in longer. For example, they were allowing E-6's to stay in for 22, vice twenty. E-7's/8/9's to stay two years longer as well. Again, this didnt last long at all. That was a weird time.

From FY 1994 through FY1998 Clinton authorized any service member to qualify, with less than 20 years, for retirement without loss of any benefits. The only thing given up was a percentage of the retirement retainer when the individual was transferred to the reserves. The only caveat to the "early retirement" program was that there were disqualifying MOS's and NEC's. The last year of the program was 1998 and all disqualifying NEC's and MOS's were eliminated so in that year there were quite a lot of people who left the service.

She may or may not receive benefits for an Other Than Honorable administrative discharge. Hopefully, the local VA, which normally controls the decision making process, will make the appropriate decision.

This is a win win situation: this woman has other responsibilities to take care of, the military has gotten rid of a loser.

☭proletarian☭;2006785 said:

Does it vary across branches?

No. All discharges are the same throughout the services with the exception of the characterization of separation codes used on the DD-214 as governed by Federal law and the UCMJ. Many are the same but in certain cases the numbers/letters combination differs depending on the reason for separation.

she did NOT get a dishonorable discharge, it said she got an "administrative discharge"....

AND as I said on the other thread about this...she would NOT be court martialed and this would be settled without such!

she also worked the years she was in her position so she did not take anything that was not due...

Not completing her service, she is not eligible for veterans benefits, which is understandable.

Court martials are rare. They only happen when a service member requests one or someone really screwed up.

I'd venture to guess that she got an "Other Than Honorable" discharge, which is basically the norm for all people who refuse deployment.

"Administrative discharge" is not an actual discharge that I am aware of. It just means they are administratively separating her from the Army by discharge.

Forum List

Back