Upcoming Ohio redistricting could drive Kucinich out

Wonky Pundit

USMB's Silent Snowden
Apr 30, 2011
Quisitive
This could be an interesting development indeed.

"Ohio is losing two congressional districts next year in the redistricting process, and Kucinich’s district is on the chopping block.
The eight-term lawmaker has said he plans to stay in Congress but doesn’t want to run against a colleague, prompting speculation he could move to an area with an open seat."

According to Kucinich's office, he's had requests from people in Washington state urging him to move there and run for a congressional seat.

Source

Aww, that sucks. I like Kucinich. I consider him the lesser-known, lesser-liked, leftwing version of Ron Paul. Tells it like is and doesn't give a fuck. Well, we'll see what he does.

The whole thing seems rather bizarre, because there's apparently no way to slice up his old district and not end up with one that's still very liberal. So why would he use this as an excuse to move?

As a general comment, redistrcting in America is retarded.

As a general question... how come? Isn't it just pretty much technical census stuff?

EDIT: Nevermind. It's on Wikipedia.

Wikipedia said:
Partisan domination of state legislatures and improved technology to design contiguous districts that pack opponents into as few districts as possible have led to district maps which are skewed towards one party. Consequently many states including Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida, Georgia and Maryland have succeeded in reducing or effectively eliminating competition for most House seats in those states that it has deadened competition for House seats nationally. Other states including New York, New Jersey, and California have opted to protect incumbents of both parties, again reducing the number of competitive districts. The Supreme Court's ruling on the Pennsylvania gerrymander[5] effectively cemented the right of elected officials to select their constituents by eliminating most of the grounds for disenfranchised constituents to challenge gerrymandered lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redistricting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering

Last edited:
Kucinich Moving On Out from Ohio? « Hot Air
I can relate to his situation because our congressional district in New York is rumored to be on the block this year, and it’s really putting a crimp in the style of potential candidates looking for a shot at the seat. But many states go through this dance every ten years, so I’m sure we’ll muddle on through somehow.

Back to the question of how Kucinich keeps getting elected, though. I suppose we could turn to any number of veteran political analysts for answer, but what fun would that be? Much better, I think, to hand the question off to John Oliver of The Daily Show who faced Dennis down with precisely that inquiry.
(Daily Show video at link)

No complaints here. It would be nice to see the collective IQ of Ohio jump a few points. :razz:

I heard him say in an interview with Jon Stewart that if his district gets done away with, he'll just pack up and move to another district.. and run there. If not, he'd certainly be missed. Regardless of political belief, Paul and Kucinich are two men who could give two shits what other politicians believe, they believe what they think is right.

As a general comment, redistrcting in America is retarded.

There really is no choice as Congressional seats are based on population. As populations of various states increase and decrease, so do the number of Congressional seats in each state. Therefore, there has to be redistricting every ten years after Census numbers are updated. The bad part about it is that the state legislatures control the redistricting and that means whichever party is in control will draw the lines in their favor. Currently, this is bad for the Dems as many state legislatures are currently under Republican control. But it has worked in reverse in the past also when most state legislatures were under Democratic control.

While I don't share K's ideology K does get kudo's from me as someone who stands up for what he believe in. He certainly has no problem speaking his mind.

While I don't share K's ideology K does get kudo's from me as someone who stands up for what he believe in. He certainly has no problem speaking his mind.

So does this crazy guy who hangs out at the freeway off ramp.

homeless-guy.jpg

He speaks his mind all freakin' day!! He's still crazy. :lol:

Yeah but the guy in the off ramp ain't a member of Congress so who cares what he has to say??

Come on Z. You must find something about OL'Dennis that you like. LOL

Forum List

Back