Unsung hero of Atlanta radio passed away today

Less then a year old
053006royalandamira2_l.jpg

But.... what makes him a 'hero'?

"of Atlanta radio".

That's the qualifier.

And to answer, his dedication in realizing that it is more than "just a job". He acted as a mentor to many new in the business locally. He guided them along career paths, and many went on to outshine him career-wise. But he was content to stay behind the scenes for the most part.

Then he was a great American... and an example to others. I like that. And I can understand the 'hero'... but, to me, the word gets bandied around too much.
There's something underratedly heroic about talented radio people --which Royal definitely was-- who turn down the big bucks to have a decent family life and bring along the up-and-comers.

Radio is a lot like professional sports, in that the best talent very, very rarely stays in one place for too long.

From Neal: There are no words available to express my personal sense of loss at the passing of Royal Marshall. It's no stretch to say that I loved that man like he was my own brother. Royal had an unmatched sense of humor and a quick mind that made him a natural for radio, and his dedication to his colleagues and friends was only exceeded by his intense dedication to his family. Our program, WSB Radio and the entire Cox family has lost part of its very soul this day. I ask that you keep Royal, his wife Annette and his two precious and much-loved little girls, Amira and Ava, in your prayers.

<snip>

020205_royal_1_m.jpg

"Royal was an icon at WSB," said WSB Program Director Pete Spriggs. "I can't believe, frankly, that this is reality. He was a very, very, good man who was very passionate and committed to his wife and daughters, as well as his church and the community. You'll never hear a sharper wit than Royal's. The WSB family is devastated."

http://boortz.com/nealz_nuze/index.html

Forum List

Back