Unseen Pain

LOIE

Gold Member
May 11, 2017
Yesterday a young man came to our dental office in need of a root canal. He was in such pain he was moaning and holding his face. He filled out our forms as quickly as possible and the doctor numbed him up.

When my co-worker and I looked at the form there were lots of mistakes on it. I said, "The poor kid was in so much pain he couldn't think straight."

Then I thought about it, I understood his mistakes because I could see the physical pain he was in. But how many people do I run across on a daily basis who have psychological or emotional pain that I can not see and so I might not be able to understand what they do.

I got this reply to my facebook post from a good friend named Brian.

My fellow church member, Howard Carroll, guirtarist with the Dixie Hummingbirds for 50 years, and I have read a book written by his friends with whom he grew up, Redman Battle and Edward Robinson of North Philadelphia.

In the 1930s they were students of Dr. Joseph S. Kroom, a friend and colleague of Marcus Garvey. Dr Kroom was the organizer for the Universal Negro Improvement Association in Philadelphia. The name of the book is The Journey of the Songhai People. One of the topics of the book is the psychic trauma of racism and the aftermath of slavery. It is a deep psychological pain and suffering, boring its pain into the deepest parts of the human being. This pain short circuits the prefontal cortex of the brain where problem solving occurs. This psychic trauma is a constant psychological and emotional noise that interferes with the security of a human being, interfering with decision making. I would argue that a byproduct of this psychic trauma also distorts and aborts the seed of love that God planted in white people. This is the biggest problem. And white people have been in denial about this for 500 years.

Forum List

Back