Unseen Academicals

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Baruch Menachem, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Newest Pratchett Book. Well worth the time, but more anvilcillious than usual. But I like the message, and it is beyond the comprehension of a lot of folks, so that is ok.

Some interesting new characters that you will want to know more about. We hear more about Mightily Oats, but only in passing. Rincewind is a full professor now.

As always there are the great throw away lines that say more in 15 words than other authors can say in 20 volumes.

He is too british in places, and he is too deep into his own universe, but if you are the kind of fan who has read several of the books, it is familiar territory, but if you are new to the Pratchett universe, it would be easy to get lost.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    "Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day...SET a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life"

3. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    "Anvilcillious". I had to look that up.

Not bagging on yer spelling, I really had never heard that term before.

Unseen Academicals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Having never read the books I assume it's sorta like Harry Potter?

4. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    It is more like Gulliver's travels. But since very few people go very far, it could be At home with the Laputins. if such a book existed.

It is set on a flat, disc world riding on elephants standing on a turtle. Magic is real. But Magic is subject to Newton's laws of conservation of energy, so using magic is not that encouraged. there are lots of races like Trolls, Vampires, werwolves, gnomes, elves, Igors, dwarves..... But they are none of them what you expect. Everything is set to eleven on a scale of one to nine, and examined from a fifth dimensional perspective.

None of this would work without Pratchet's style, which is very much like PG Wodehouse explaining Nietzsche.

If you want good starter books, check out "Good Omens" "The Truth" or "Small Gods."

5. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124

Not even close...

I've laughed so hard read Pratchett, I've injured myself.
    Terry Pratchett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I started with "Thief of Time", then "Men at Arms" and then I started at the beginning and worked my way thru.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010