Unscrewing A Light Bulb

kinda funny

all this over light bulbs types.

If you want long lasting bulbs w/o the hazards. Import for the EU. Due to how they work thier energy, anything from there that gets plugged in here will last lots longer, w/o the kooky shape or waste.

kinda funny

If you want long lasting bulbs w/o the hazards. Import for the EU. Due to how they work thier energy, anything from there that gets plugged in here will last lots longer, w/o the kooky shape or waste.
That's because European bulbs run at 240 volts AC, versus 120 volts AC in the US. So a 60 watt Euro bulb will only consume 30 watts here...but put out less light.

OldRocks:
CFC's are a stopgap. LEDs will be here shortly.

Then what was the basis for beginning the ban of incandescents ALREADY? Or setting a standard that is ALREADY obsolete? Was this the "hope and change fairy" deciding lighting policy?

I guess 75% saving in energy costs isn't good enough for Mr.Moneybags!!!

Lighting costs and energy costs are not the same thing.

You will NOT see a 75% decrease in your energy costs by switching to those god awful cfl bulbs.

kinda funny

That's because European bulbs run at 240 volts AC, versus 120 volts AC in the US. So a 60 watt Euro bulb will only consume 30 watts here...but put out less light.

not correct

I've seen them work just the same.

defies common sense, but it works just as well.

AND

Instead of working twice as long, they work 10 times as long.

OldRocks:
CFC's are a stopgap. LEDs will be here shortly.

Then what was the basis for beginning the ban of incandescents ALREADY? Or setting a standard that is ALREADY obsolete? Was this the "hope and change fairy" deciding lighting policy?

Don't the eco-left have ANY immovable standards? If a mean evil corporation was trying to foist these toxic waste stream products on the public because of an ECONOMIC argument -- Whoooo Hoooo -- I could write the thread titles for that one!

It's not really 75% either. Have any of you econauts ever pondered that an incandescent is 100% efficient in any space that is currently subject to HVAC heating? THat's right. Every JOULE of that energy is being used including the heat radiation. And the heat waste during an air-conditioned summer is mitigated by the longer days and lower bulb use?

As an electronic design engineer, looking at a CFL bulb makes me giggle like a little girl. A sophisticated switching power supply in every socket. I'm surprised you folks can still get radio reception in your homes. AT LEAST -- the solution for this would be to have a Centralized Power conditioner for a TRACKFUL of these things. (Oh No! that would be like flourescent tube lighting!) Not a direct socket replacement.

Last edited:
kinda funny

not correct

AND

Shrug. The laws of electricity says they won't be as bright. But I agree, they will last longer, since the filaments are larger and stronger.

not correct

AND

Shrug. The laws of electricity says they won't be as bright. But I agree, they will last longer, since the filaments are larger and stronger.

I thought the same. I think it's the vacuum in the bulb that makes the difference.

When I saw it on one of the learning channels, I would have sworn that that would be what's in demand, and put these kooky bulbs out of work.

But no, we have to go with these more expensive, shorter lasting, more hazardous ones. :lol::(

not correct

AND

I thought the same. I think it's the vacuum in the bulb that makes the difference.

When I saw it on one of the learning channels, I would have sworn that that would be what's in demand, and put these kooky bulbs out of work.

But no, we have to go with these more expensive, shorter lasting, more hazardous ones. :lol::(
This guy had the right idea. :lol:

German 'heatball' outwits EU light bulb ban | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Awesome.

He gets to make money, help save the rainforrest and piss on tyranny , all in one product. :clap2:

Awesome.

He gets to make money, help save the rainforrest and piss on tyranny , all in one product. :clap2:
:thup: :lol:

OldRocks:

You will NOT see a 75% decrease in your energy costs by switching to those god awful cfl bulbs.

Picky, picky. We were talking lighting, so the energy cost mentioned was that associated with lighting. OK?

If they start making compact fluorescent clothes dryers and LED refrigerators, then you'll see some energy savings.

I think they have LED fridges. I saw some at Best Buy and the inside was sort of a bluish color . . .kinda futuristic. I assumed it was LED lighting.

Saw this too . . .

State lawmakers have passed a bill that allows Texans to skirt federal efforts to promote more efficient light bulbs, which ultimately pushes the swirled, compact fluorescent bulbs over the 100-watt incandescent bulbs many grew up with.

The measure, sent to Gov. Rick Perry for consideration, lets any incandescent light bulb manufactured in Texas - and sold in that state - avoid the authority of the federal government or the repeal of the 2007 energy independence act that starts phasing out some incandescent light bulbs next year.

"Let there be light," state Rep. George Lavender, R-Texarkana, wrote on Facebook after the bill passed. "It will allow the continued manufacture and sale of incandescent light bulbs in Texas, even after the federal ban goes into effect. ... It's a good day for Texas."

Texas Tells Feds: Shove Your Light Bulb Ban - Texas - Fox Nation

Bazinga.

If they start making compact fluorescent clothes dryers and LED refrigerators, then you'll see some energy savings.

I think they have LED fridges. I saw some at Best Buy and the inside was sort of a bluish color . . .kinda futuristic. I assumed it was LED lighting.
It's not the light that makes the fridge cold. :tongue:
Saw this too . . .

State lawmakers have passed a bill that allows Texans to skirt federal efforts to promote more efficient light bulbs, which ultimately pushes the swirled, compact fluorescent bulbs over the 100-watt incandescent bulbs many grew up with.

The measure, sent to Gov. Rick Perry for consideration, lets any incandescent light bulb manufactured in Texas - and sold in that state - avoid the authority of the federal government or the repeal of the 2007 energy independence act that starts phasing out some incandescent light bulbs next year.

"Let there be light," state Rep. George Lavender, R-Texarkana, wrote on Facebook after the bill passed. "It will allow the continued manufacture and sale of incandescent light bulbs in Texas, even after the federal ban goes into effect. ... It's a good day for Texas."

Texas Tells Feds: Shove Your Light Bulb Ban - Texas - Fox Nation

Bazinga.
:clap2::clap2:

Picky, picky. We were talking lighting, so the energy cost mentioned was that associated with lighting. OK?

Tell me what uses most energy in a household.

Here's a hint

It ain't lights.

Forum List

Back