Unscrewing A Light Bulb

Bart

Rookie
May 16, 2004
California
I have unscrewed many light bulbs in my life. Most of the time, the light goes off. You find a replacement. Then you unscrew the old and screw in the new. Every once in a while the bulb will not easily unscrew. Sometimes, I have had to break the glass and used a needle nose pillars to unscrew it.

Not with the new light bulb, it has great danger. The EPA says to be very careful with these things. In a year or three, a bulb may go out and not want to come out.

Yipes!

:cuckoo:

6a00d8341c4ec753ef013486306a6f970c-300wi

Well then be careful ya stupid fuck. Get with the program.

We demand convenience, efficiency, and economy yet want nothing to do with responsibility.

And given the opportunity we'll skirt a system, bypass protocol, bend rules, flat out lie and cheat.

Own up and pony up.

Mr. H - what are you talking about?

:doubt:

If I could speak for Mr. HJMICK (but I don't), I'd suggest that he's referring to:

Break a bulb? Five steps for cleanup
That was the wrong answer, according to the EPA. It offers a detailed, 11-step procedure you should follow: Air out the room for a quarter of an hour. Wear gloves. Double-bag the refuse. Use duct tape to lift the residue from a carpet. Don’t use a vacuum cleaner, as that will only spread the problem. The next time you vacuum the area, immediately dispose of the vacuum bag.

Since then, the bulbs — known as CFLs — have been revamped, and strict government guidelines have alleviated most of those problems. But while the bulbs are extremely energy-efficient, one problem hasn’t gone away: All CFLs contain mercury, a neurotoxin that can cause kidney and brain damage.

The amount is tiny — about 5 milligrams, or barely enough to cover the tip of a pen — but that is enough to contaminate up to 6,000 gallons of water beyond safe drinking levels, extrapolated from Stanford University research on mercury. Even the latest lamps promoted as “low-mercury” can contaminate more than 1,000 gallons of water beyond safe levels.

Shining a light on fluorescent bulbs - US news - Environment - msnbc.com

Important to know that you shouldn't be filling the wastestream with these ohsogreen items..

Last edited:
Well then be careful ya stupid fuck. Get with the program.

We demand convenience, efficiency, and economy yet want nothing to do with responsibility.

And given the opportunity we'll skirt a system, bypass protocol, bend rules, flat out lie and cheat.

Own up and pony up.

The only ones "demanding" the "convenience and efficiency" of these mercury bulbs (let's call them what they really are) are environmentalist wacko moonbats like you, which is a little ironic in itself.....

I have unscrewed many light bulbs in my life. Most of the time, the light goes off. You find a replacement. Then you unscrew the old and screw in the new. Every once in a while the bulb will not easily unscrew. Sometimes, I have had to break the glass and used a needle nose pillars to unscrew it.

Not with the new light bulb, it has great danger. The EPA says to be very careful with these things. In a year or three, a bulb may go out and not want to come out.

Yipes!

Do some stockpiling so you have enough incandescents until LEDs are cheap enough. Lots of stores rotate what brands they put on sale each week. BOGOs (buy one get one free) are around on these too. Just pick up whatever is on sale.

Probably 50% of the time you will be working on a bulb over your head. No big deal if they are conventional bulbs. If you break one of the new bulbs containing toxic substances and get the powder in your nose and eyes it looks like you are in trouble. The admittedly exaggerated OSHA requirements are just short of a Haz-Mat team to clean up a broken LED bulb. How about the manufacturing process using toxic powdered heavy metals? What's going to happen when 20 years worth of these environmental time bombs end up in the land fill?

I hate those damn lights. They don't put out any light. I have no idea on earth where the county dump is - I have a dumpster available to me and pick up service (apartment living). Now I'm going to be forced to use these little bastards when they are clearly hazardous not only to me but to the environment as well. (So much for "greening" and environmental safety, etc.) Knox Co., TN has already advised that it will have a separate dump site where all of these bulbs must be taken for disposal.

This whole idea is crazy - when it comes to all these touted energy savings. What savings? What is the approximate wattage used by a few light bulbs compared to the wattage used by clothes washers and dryers ... stoves ... refrigerators ... heating and air conditioning ... ?

On the other hand, we're supposed to go out and buy these little energy saving "green machines" that cost more than a normal car and are ugly to boot. What savings? This is just an exchange of one energy source for another. How much of wattage will be used in charging the batteries up - I can't get anyone to give me an answer to that. Any ideas y'all wish to share?

What the hell?

Yipes!

This is a total straw man argument. The fluorescent bulbs have a wide, ergonomic, grippable base for installing and removing. (The transformer is inside these) You don't have to touch the glass at all. Unless you're a complete dolt, you're not going to break the glass just by installing and removing these.

I have about a dozen of these in my home. I like their energy efficiency, lack of heat generation, and long life. I like my lower electric bill as well.

New Topics

Forum List

Back